The "Ultimate" live rig? It works for me... :D

RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, folks - long post, but hopefully it might be of use to some of you.

Here is my 'ultimate rig' for live performance.
Full boat Rev C, 160G HD, 2G RAM.
M-Audio Axiom 61 controller for upper manual connected via USB, M-Audio Prokeys88sx lower manual via MIDI. I use a Roland EV-10 pedal in the Axiom, set to cc 11, and two sus pedals - one for the piano into the lower board, and one to control Leslie on-off in the Axiom. I can control volume via the lower keyboard slider, so I don't use a second volume pedal.

Concept:
The rig is set to Ignore Bank Select and Target Source,receive on all midi channels and Route cc's to plugin. Each instrument is on its own midi channel. Instruments that wish to change patch remotely are on the same mixer and midi channel. Instruments that should not respond to patch change go on different mixer tracks than midi channel. This allows me to create splits that only one side responds to midi patch change.

The Axiom 61 has 20 presets; I have other setups, but mainly use three - upper manual B4, FM7 and Minimogue control I have the drum pads set to do patch changes, so I have 8 presets available instantly on each setup. Additionally, I have the transport buttos configured as background pad overlay control - one button for on-off, four buttons for preset selection (on a totally different midid channel) and the last is a sustain (cc64) just in case. I have Preset 1 set up to select channel 15, which selects the SFX bank and lets me play them from the keyboard.

The lower keyboard has seven presets which send fixed patch changes (in order, 1, 3, 2, 5, 6, 8, 18 - it's their GM equivalents.) Channel change is easy, one keypress and note. By selecting diffent channels, I can control 7 presets on each of 16 instruments, if I have that many. What has to be done is mapping the proper presets to the available locations, which on the Receptor is pretty simple.

Layout: (Track=mixer track, channel=midi channel)

Tk 1: B4 ii, set upper manual ch 1, lower ch 6, pedals ch 16, Receptor selected as All/Thru
Tk 2: EWQL Silver string setup for a specialty patch on ch 12 (ignore this one)
Tk 3: Mr Ray 2.2 channel 3. Several electric pianos.
Tk 4: NI FM7, with custom presets.
Tk 5: MinimogueVA, with custom presets (eventually, all synth patches are works in progress...)
Tk 6: Trilogy bass module, Jaco Fretless bass. Ch 9, from C-1 to F#3
Tk 7: 4Front Piano ch 12 part of specialty patch (ignore this one also)
Tk 8: Mr Ray 2.2 ch 8, G3-C8, transpose -12
Tk 9: Mr Ray 2.2 ch 9, G3-C8, transpose -12
Tk 10: USB Plugsound Free Ch 10
Tk 11: empty
Tk 12: empty - this midi channel plays the specialty patch - cheap piano, string pizz and sus in 3 zones
Tk 13: Colossus ch All/Thru no patch changes desired. slot 1=ch2-Steinway B full, slot 2=ch 7, Steinway B F1-C7, transposed -12, slot 3=ch 7 Upright bass, C-2-E3, xposed +12 slot 4=ch8, GM finger bass, xposed +12, C-2 - F#3
Tk 14: USB Plugsound, mixer volume fairly low, this is the background pad overlay channel - ch Listen All, Play 14. range C2-C8
Tk 15 ch 15, sfz ch 15/1 This is set up as a SFX bank, just for fun
Tk 16 is set to Line In, for iPod backing tracks

I have EQ18, EQ10 and ParisEQ in various inout channels as needed, and Classic Limiter on the output.

Usage:

lower (primary) keyboard - I change channels to change instruments:
Ch 1: Channel 1, lets me play upper manual B3 if I wish,normally I won't select this channel on the lower keyboard.
Ch 2: Acoustic piano - Colossus Steinway is warm yet present
Ch 3: Electric piano - I have 7 variations available, still working on the presets but there is a lot of variety
Ch 4 or 5 - usually reserved for the upper manual to play FM7 or MinimogueVA
Ch 6: Lower manual B3, the volume pedal controls both manuals (and if I add pedals down the line, they'll work too.)
Ch 7: Acoustic bass and acoustic piano split, the piano is down an octave to get a good blend of lower and upper register.
Ch 8: Fingered electric bass and electric piano, piano responds to presets
Ch 9: Jaco Fretless bass and electric piano, piano responds to presets
Ch 10: Clav, plus other interesting keyboard alternative presets
Ch 11, 12 and 13: nothing (12 has a special patch, but it's useless for any other purpose
Ch 14: string pad: normally do not elect from here. This is activated by a transport button on the upper keyboard, and layers a pad behind the current piano/electric piano. Other transport buttons select which pad sound is used.
Ch 15: SFX, just for fun

CPU is at about 55% at idle, 53% available memory.

With this setup, I have a really huge assortment of options. Full Hammond sound, with drawbars (I miss the lower manual control, though.) Piano, electric pianos, clav,what more keys could you ask for? Classic DX7 adn Minimoog sounds, splits for solo gigs and on and on. Sfz with a good GM soundfont can easily be added (or replace the SFX bank) to add other instruments like brass pads - tho these are on the FM7. The pad-under-the-piano trick is an old one, but still sounds great...

I run this through a TOA D-4 mixer,almost impossible to find these days, but very cool - 4 inouts; the last has an XLR socket with phantom, all have left plug=left mono or a stereo TRS input. Right plug is mono if solo, or stereo R if both plugs are in. There is a foldback out and RCA line in also. On the front, each channel has bass/treble and pan, there is a dedicated mono sum with its own level and a tape in with level as well, all in a 1U device. Amp. 1U Stewart 1000 watt, 2 Bag End time-aligned TA12 Jrs. I made a custom stand from a good four-leg stand and some hardwae so the two keyboards are as close as possble (they're actualy velcroed to the stand and each other, very solid.)

Nirvana (NOT the band!!!) - and it's all lightweight and easily portable. I am finally feeling good about the capability of my performance rig, after 30 years of tryimg to solve the 450 lb Hammond Elephant problem and the 6-beer piano problem... :D Oh, and if the Receptor fails, or something else goes totally haywire - the lower keyboard has onboard piano, electric piano, clav and a really cheesy organ, but it's enough to get through a gig!

BTW, the organ is set to channels 1, 6 and 16 because I wanted the instruments in a logical prgression when selecting lower keyboard channels to select main sound - I also use this with just the lower keyboard (different multi, a lot of the same stuff) and with a different upper keyboard for other gigs (only till I can get the patches from the other keyboard mapped into this rig, though...)
Dasher
The Soundsmith
It's all about the music. I keep telling myself that...

This is a GREAT post. Some VERY useful information here. Muse should put these kinds of examples in their documentation....VERY Well thought out. Thank you.

Photos, please!

:)
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

Photos might be a good idea. Give me a bit, the gear's in the car.
Dasher
The Soundsmith

Thank's very much for the effort you put in your posting, for me Receptor is all about live use, so this is a great read! :)

Live use is my bag too. This gives me a good road map.
Thank you for your excellent description, as well as your ongoing help.

Is this using a snapshot Dasher?

No snapshots - all direct-as-possible real-time control. I need patches available NOW, and I need real-time control over them. I have not had time to explore the other ways of doing business - snapshots and NRPN control are two options - but that's one of the great things bout the box, it will let you do this.
Dasher
The Soundsmith

Sound Smith this was incredibly helpful to me. I am at a similar place - currently I am gigging with a pc2, a cx3 and a Motif ES Rack and would like to slim down to a single board - I picked up a Fatar/Studiologic VMK and hope to program a couple of setups and gig only with the Receptor, maybe the Motif ES as a back up.

I have a VMK - hope you got the newer one, the old one is much too slow responding ro cc control.
Dasher
The Soundsmith

OK, here are the pix. First a view of the entire keyboard setup (minus cables.
Then a detail of one of the corners, showing the plastic forms I used to get the correct height. Then a detail of a minor mod the the Axiom. I took 1/2" I.D. clear tubing and used fingernail polish to coat the inside with brown, black and white to give the drawbars proper color-coding. Finally, the single-manual keyboard with Voce drawbar controller velcroed to the left edge.

Velcro is use extensively to achieve a stable rig. Plastic cable ties are the other magic solution, as shown below. The rack is from Home Depot's closet organizer section, the L-shaped blocks I found near the sprinkler stuff, I have NO idea what they really are, other than something just the right height and shape to work. I DO have to paint the rack black, tho...

Here's the process. Set up the main stand, adjust width till it is correct and will not change (are all cables clear to run?) Then velcro along the stand edges, and match with velcro on the bottom of the keyboard. I added more to the lower keyboard back top edge center with its velcro counterpart on the bottom front of the upper keyboard, they lock together quite stably.

Last edited by thesoundsmith on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dasher
The Soundsmith

Thanks, mate!

:)
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

are you controlling the receptor mixer channel bypass via cc #116? the important thing to note is that a bypassed channel consumes no cpu. for a rig like yours, that may be important.

I cannot access the channel because I am set to address the Sources. If I could do both, it would get a lot more interesting, but that's what snapshots are about, if you're not doing multiple patch changes per channel (at least that's how I currently understand it...(

There are a LOT more ways to work, this is just my first major configuration. I have others for RMX rhythm backgrounds, or mp3 playback tracks, but they're not ready for real-time yet.
Dasher
The Soundsmith

thesoundsmith, it sounds like you may intend to use rmx the way i would like. i posted this question on another thread and since i don't know how to cross-post, here goes ...

i'm wondering about the basic ability to use stylus as a flexible drum machine for live use in a solo or duo. i see that it can be controlled by a keyboard to layer grooves and be velocity sensitive. but for live solo use (say a guitarist), could i use something like a roland pk-5 or fc200 to trigger single grooves? i know the short answer is yes. but i'm wondering if stylus can be set to run in a 'mono' mode so that only one groove can play at a time? that way, i can queue up the next groove and automatically stop the current groove.

also, can i issue a note on/off (press and release the note) and have the groove loop indefinitely? the video demo's suggest that the note needs to be held. otherwise, the loop will stop.

one more question. can velocity tracking be turned off? if i wanted to trigger with keys or pads, i'd rather not have the whole percussion/drum groove adjust to my velocity.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”