How not to master an album.. holy crap?!?!?!?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

s4w2th wrote:i haven't listen to that track, but i've gotta say i've ran across many albums that looked like that, infact i used to practice by remastering them. You have to assume that alot of it is at the behest of the artist's discretion(sp?). The whole fidelity issue arose from analog tape where if you didn't take care stuff quickly devolved into fuzzy muffled mush. Not especially true anymore, just ask one of those classic rock dudes what happened the first time someone tried to master Jimi Hendrix.

March on love Hippies
I have a Jimi Hendrix Album: Voodoo Chile (the CD version.) It sounds like muffled mush. Just curious: what is the cause of that?

djdorian wrote:
I have a Jimi Hendrix Album: Voodoo Chile (the CD version.) It sounds like muffled mush. Just curious: what is the cause of that?
your guess is as good as mine or anyone else's, :tu:

maybe that was how it was originaly "meant" to be.
crack it open in your favorite wave editor, remaster it yourself.
Garanteed you'll learn one important lesson. Under noise lies even more noise, and you always sacrifice ambience when start removing noise(notice i said always).
Stay in the glow.
Feed the glow.

trouble is that once something is compressed to hell, you can't restore the dynamics, though I have remastered tracks which weren't compressed enough :D
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

Jbravo wrote:trouble is that once something is compressed to hell, you can't restore the dynamics, though I have remastered tracks which weren't compressed enough :D
I'd say jp22 have a thing or two to say about that :hihi:

How NOT to Master an Album?

The reigning champ, without question is Rush's last CD "Vapor Trails". Throw that at SoundForge or whatever and look at the clipping. Or just listen and cry.
What makes is worse is that it's a great CD by my favorite band. But "Vapor Trails" set the industry benchmark for bad mastering. :P

:)

Man, i thought that i slammed the limiter but these guys are taking the piss. On my tracks, on the very loud sections it doesn't even look as distorted as that picture.

If i bought something like this, I would take the cd back and sue for listening fatigue.

Now, not only is the music crap, but the mastering and mixing is crap as well...

Bonteburg wrote:I'm still of the the-sound-matters-school to be honest...
Did you look at the waveform first and then listen, or did you listen, think something must be wrong with the audio and then rip it?
if you get my drift.

Admittedly, the waveform looks totally f**ked! :eek:

the new Muse album sounds absolutely fine with lots of dynamics going on - this thread sucks - people form an impression about something without even having listened to it just once - welcome to kvr... :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

dubbyah wrote:have any of you actually listened to this Muse track? i really don't think so, at least in terms of the majority of people who have posted here.

BINGO!

they don't need to - cause hey: they've been looking at the waveform after all...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Admittedly, the waveform looks totally f**ked! :eek:
the new Muse album sounds absolutely fine with lots of dynamics going on - this thread sucks - people form an impression about something without even having listened to it just once - welcome to kvr... :shrug:[/quote]

I agree. And I also agree with the other poster who pointed out that if you zoom out *any* waveform far enough, it will always look similar to this.

Jbravo wrote:trouble is that once something is compressed to hell, you can't restore the dynamics, though I have remastered tracks which weren't compressed enough :D
true nuff
Stay in the glow.
Feed the glow.

well, there's definitely something not quite right with my cd (that's why I started looking for other people's comments, and then I found the screenshot)
I wonder if it's possible in any way that a cd can be messed up in printing? and if so, do you think I can return it? although..return to who? :?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I have listened the new Muse CD (not an MP3 or a download...) mainly on my VW Van, (I have quite good speakers) and at home, sounds a bit too mid-centerd to me, but it's a great album with nice mastering i think...

I will take teh CD off the van later, and have another listen on my stereo equipment (technics, maybe not the best...but) and here with my monitors...

then i'll check the WAV in SF...;-)

ah, I'll also let you know who did the mastering (should be on the CD Booklet) ;-)

insert code here, disregard

1) I don't know how someone could say the track is MONO (weel, stereo, with the same L and R channels) ...you can clearly hear the stereo field, did you wash your ears this morning ??? ;-)

i imported the track in SF, zoomed IN, this is the result:

2) Mastering was made by Vlado Meller and Howie Weinberg. Weinberg is also credited on "Absolution" album. "Origin of Symmetry" was mastered by Ray Staff, while "ShowBiz" doesn't have credits for mastering

3) i Just noticed that the original pictures of the WAV files shows the WHOLE SONG in a SINGLE WINDOW. Of course, if you visualize the COMPLETE SONG in a single WINDOW this will look TOTALLY COMPRESSED and DISTORTED AS HELL...(try with almost any other song...)

Muse albums are quite loud, ok, but try zooming IN....;-)

Return to “Production Techniques”