T3 NAMM pics and audio observations/review.

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just back from NAMM - got a chance to try out T3 and pick Beno's brain - both impressive.

Have never used Loops, and probably won't - but will at least update online to T3 ($69 - I believe), and possibly one of the packages. The way T3 can handle traditional audio as a loop by an easy method of storing and looping a clip, as well as the option to assign it to the new 'global' function for easy tempo and pitch changes is pretty cool. and the new loop window (see pic),can allow an even easier method of copying clips by dragging and dropping.

Some add'l observations (sorry if already mentioned)
* Multicore support - assigns alternate tracks to different cores
* Auto Protools-style Multi-tool curser (pointed out to me by a Protools user)
* Subgrouping of tracks (see pic)
* 99 memory points with assignable 'folders' (see pic)
* Global track with easy tempo/pitch automation (see pic)
* Scroll at bottom of last visible track (much more intuitive for me)
* New Mackie plugin skins and a Channel Strip plugin.
* Easier methods of storing and accessing folders and clips

Not changed: - for the most part, no MIDI or clip editing changes.
Some clip editing wishes I had hoped for included the ability to lengthen existing clips, as well as paste blank clips in both audio tracks and 'summed' tracks for the ability to add 'timed' effects. Beno (and the rest of Mackie) were very receptive. No promises were made, but the impression I got is that they've been burning the midnight oil to get a solid T3 out in the next couple of weeks and address 'do-able' issues (such as my request) ASAP following. The ability to assign an AUX send to a clip seemed more unlikely.

Overall I like the interface and the changes, any T2 user will adapt very easily. The changes are major and IMHO make T3 more powerful even for strictly audio users as myself - I'll be upgrading. If some of the samples (in particular the Piano sample by GenArts(not liscenced at the time of show)) are decent, will probably go for one of the packages.
Thanks again Beno for the demo - very professional and informative - my apologies if I've misquoted anything. Hey, I'm a bit pop'd going into the game - GO COLTS !
Never posted pics here before - if they don't post, give me a simple method and I'll follow up.

Imagehttp://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is= ... 50,590,442

I've never seen an URL that long for a hosted photo before. ;) I tried cleaning it up, but it didn't work for me. I think the URL is simply too long. phpBB doesn't like long URLs for some reason. Additionally, you're mismatching some and framing... but my attempted "clean up" which fixed those didn't work anyhow.

Thanks for the report, though! Get thee a Photobucket account. ;)

gmore wrote: Not changed: - for the most part, no MIDI or clip editing changes.
So what's written on the T3 info page is just a lie then? Ehm. I mean, marketing.
Perhaps they just took the text from the T2 page and changed it a little ;)
mackie wrote:This MIDI editor - widely acclaimed in the previous version of Tracktion - has been optimized for even greater speed and ease of use, whether you're recording frantically from your synth or doing detailed editing of a performance with the MIDI pencil tool.

Oh, forgot to say. Thanks for the report!

I was a bit dissapointed in T3 before. But when I heard about the new channel strip, I got really excited. Hope it's good.

rainydays wrote:
gmore wrote: Not changed: - for the most part, no MIDI or clip editing changes.
So what's written on the T3 info page is just a lie then? Ehm. I mean, marketing.
Perhaps they just took the text from the T2 page and changed it a little ;)
mackie wrote:This MIDI editor - widely acclaimed in the previous version of Tracktion - has been optimized for even greater speed and ease of use, whether you're recording frantically from your synth or doing detailed editing of a performance with the MIDI pencil tool.
Not sure what the T3 page states in that regard, but I would assume its going to be far more accurate than me.

Lunch Money wrote:I've never seen an URL that long for a hosted photo before. ;) I tried cleaning it up, but it didn't work for me. I think the URL is simply too long. phpBB doesn't like long URLs for some reason. Additionally, you're mismatching some and framing... but my attempted "clean up" which fixed those didn't work anyhow.

Thanks for the report, though! Get thee a Photobucket account. ;)
Posted in Snapfish - I'll try attaching as a URL ?

Sweetness! I miss Tracktion so much :(
I have to put up with Logic Express until T3 is released. It certainly doesn't live up to its name.

anythign else? is the cpu smoother action than t2? gui smoother? that would be great if it was!

RonC

do we know yet if the genres in the loop browser are customisable? a lot of those genres won't ever get a click from me... :)

.g

rpc9943 wrote:anythign else? is the cpu smoother action than t2? gui smoother? that would be great if it was!

RonC
Don't think I could fairly comment on any cpu comparisons without running a duplicate app. on MY pc. The 2 machines I demo'd or observed were Apples one running Mac and one running Windows(I believe). Both demos seemed fairly loaded up as far as plugs and ran smooth. Changing the cpu setting from 2 to 1 core yeilded a slightly higher cpu reading, but no real diehard test. The multicore option alone, for me, is worth the upgrade given my PC and what I'll be investing in next.
I was able to play around with T3 for a a little while before ever talking to anyone or witnessing any demo and felt at home. With the exception of the R-to-L scroll tool(mentioned above), you can pretty much configure the screen to be just like T2 if you want. The subgrouping of tracks worked just like a Windows folder list, and the 'global' track at the top made instant sense - all pretty smooth. It was after the demo and some Q&A when I realized how deep T3 is. Overall, the options to save, recall and manipulate clips, racks, folders, etc. are vast and very versatile without getting difficult. For example, I can see myself keeping the 'loops' window open in 'clip' mode when I'm editing, and closing it while tracking. I think the learning curve for many of the new tools will be minimal and worth it given the time-saving and organizational tools T3 brings.
As mentioned above, I'm not a 'loop' guy and was hoping for more, but after seeing how 'major' this update is can understand why, and believe more will arrive after the release.

GaryG wrote:do we know yet if the genres in the loop browser are customisable? a lot of those genres won't ever get a click from me... :)

.g
Sorry, I devoted no time to loops. I did notice after posting that Beno has a new thread at the top of the forum page - I'm certain he would know.

Thanks for the review, dude.

I have a question about the new loop matcing stuff in T3. I know T3 now has improved loop matching/stretching abilties. Can I load a bunch of loops T3 and have them synch to each other in BPM automatically like Acid?

Also, with the bare bones online upgrade being 69$, will online owners of T3 be able to go ahead and pay an extra 30$ for the Project Bundle? I hope so because that's coming really close. Would the project bundle be worth it?

Reaktorjunkie wrote: Also, with the bare bones online upgrade being 69$, will online owners of T3 be able to go ahead and pay an extra 30$ for the Project Bundle? I hope so because that's coming really close. Would the project bundle be worth it?
We dont know if the upgrade will cost that high. But i think there will be no possibility to pay an extra to have a bundle. Bundles are not-downloadable AFAIU. If this bundles would be downloadable - who knows then.

kisses.
kisses

Hmmm.. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I will pay 70$ for a pure online upgrade to T3. I can just save that $70 towards Live 6 and have both T2 and Live.

Return to “Tracktion”