Neuroscience and Kanye West (riveting stochastic loop)

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Together at last!

http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2007/09/ ... e_west.php

Here's the take-home message for those disinclined to click:
But before a pattern can be desired by the brain, it must play hard to get. Music only excites us when it makes our auditory cortex struggle to uncover its order. If the music is too obvious, if its patterns are always present, it is annoyingly boring. This is why classical composers introduce the tonic note in the beginning of the song and then studiously avoid it until the end.
The main reason I'm sharing this is it's probably the lesson I need to learn most.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

From the quote I find it hard to imagine how this relates to Kanye.

I know that, from a neuroscience perspective, the merest mention of that asshole's name creates a spike of adrenaline in me, to prepare for violent conflict.

It doesn't matter much whether it applies to kanye since it's a load of old bollocks. Avoiding the tonic note throughout a piece, eh?

Well classical man, innit. As they say in the slough ghetto.
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

that quote makes no sense, classical composers (classical in the actual sense of a given practice period) with all that f**king V I V I bidness; they move around a lot, as if with some point or aim, but Dominant Daddy has to have little mama at home after the wandering. lotta it's boring, some of it's not, like anything else. ??? down to the craft of communicating one's imagination, is it not?

what's 'boring'? mucho repetition, = boring???

what's 'exciting'? whole lotta action, = not boring???

I don't understand.

Kanye IS boring, though, I get that.

jancivil wrote:that quote makes no sense,
Is reading the whole article too much trouble for you? It's just a short blog post. You probably spent more time bitching about that quote than reading the rest of the article which would have explained it to you with a couple of decent examples.

Victor.

I downloaded 'the glory', to see if i could understand what he was getting at. Am i missing something, or is he saying that little vocal loop that repeats and repeats and repeats is annoying as f**k, so much so i had to turn it off, because it was annoying as f**k?

Just to clarify: I'm not an anti hip-hop person or whatever, i'm just an anti-being annoyed to f**k person.

Return to “Music Theory”