How did Vangelis create this sound?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

droopy6 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:25 pm I found this cello in a Korg Triton: INT-C 035 "Viola Solo".
have fun.
Korg? Good call. Perhaps synth/rompler was the Korg M1 back in 1990? Just checked my software M1. Found preset M08 27 Cello. M1 Program in double mode: Multi Sounds (ROM samples) are Wire and Saw Wave. Preset sounds brighter than on the record. But has also that applied pronounced artificial vibrato.

droopy6 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:25 pm I found this cello in a Korg Triton: INT-C 035 "Viola Solo".
have fun.
Nice find! It needs loads of reverb and a very gentle modulation touch to get near it, but it does resemble the original sound indeed. Vangelis probably used other controllers as well to control attack, decay and release to bring this factory patch to life. Could've been on the the Korg M1.

"Vangelis didn’t like to sit still, and his recording setup continued to evolve alongside his music. On 1990’s 'The City', the artist continued his foray into hybrid digital and analog synthesis. For that album, he utilized Roland synths like the D-50, MKS-70 (the module version of the JX-10), and U-110 (the module version of the D-10) plus an S-50 sampler."

Return to “Sound Design”