WTB: A really nice physical modelling preset pack for Zebra!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seems like these presets are almost absent on Zebra..

I think it would be excellent, delving into real world and other worldly sounds focusing on expressive control.

Soooo who else wants it and who wants to make it?

Do you by 'physical modelling' mean acoustic emulations?

Physical modelling is a synthesis method, not a description of a certain class of sounds.

/Joey
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:Physical modelling is a synthesis method
Which would be nice to be explored a bit more in Zebra. I agree with kodama on that one 8)

Seconded. That one snare patch sounds soo nice, almost too realistic? (the name escapes me ATM, should look it up) ;) More of that stuff please!

One things for sure. I did some real instrument patches with Zebra that are just amazingly real sounding. I can't believe this sitar. It sounds better than any sample I've heard. I got over 70 patches made so far, and many sound just like sampled instruments. I'll keep going til I get 200. Zebra can definately do real instruments, thats for certain.
edit: I just need to get a breath controller. Add that and expression to the patches.

I made a fairly impressive metal girder percussive sound.

Of course nylon guitar is easiest, but flutes, ethnic drums, toms, timpanis, harpsichords, etc... all seem easy with Zebra.

One thing I tried but had no luck with was a low cello, the comb filters always start to 'break up' at lower frequencies and sound like what they are (delays).

I imagine that brass is also pretty hard without just using FM or subtractive methods...

there is a great brass-sound from M. Kastrup in his Old School sound-set.
"It dreamed itself along"

I did a Mellotron "vibe" patch a while a go. Nothing too special, it's just a bell with noise, OSC effects, vibrato and a custom MSEG for that clicky attack. I was surprised tough at how easy it was to program, took me about 20 minutes or something. Once you get a hang of Zebra, you can make what pops in to your mind very fast. Sounds real enough, even compared side/side.

I still have it here:
http://users.telenet.be/bogaard/temp/MelloVibe.h2p

I guess you meant, like adding more midi controller sources for modulation, like breath control or expression control for a pedal.
Here is the info on physical modeling synths.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_m ... _synthesis

MCnoone wrote:I guess you meant, like adding more midi controller sources for modulation, like breath control or expression control for a pedal.
Here is the info on physical modeling synths.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_m ... _synthesis
Interesting read! I ended up reading the article on "Karplus-Strong string synthesis". Judging by the description and sound example, this sounds a lot like what Zebra does with the comb filters. Am i right?

Polybius wrote:Interesting read! I ended up reading the article on "Karplus-Strong string synthesis". Judging by the description and sound example, this sounds a lot like what Zebra does with the comb filters. Am i right?
Yes, I read that too. Comb filters are very similar in synthesis methods of physical modeling. Cool.

Comb filters are technically short feedback delays. Just like Waveguides. We just can not call them that because that would infringe patents, brand names or some such thing. Hence you'll also not find any hint at "Physical Modeling" on certain websites. That would probably infringe some brand names as well. I rather think of Zebra's comb filters as little "sculpturing" devices. You catch the drift.

Only because "comb filter" is an understatement doesn't mean they can't handle it 8)

Urs wrote: I rather think of Zebra's comb filters as little "sculpturing" devices. You catch the drift.
Sure, that seems logical.
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…

http://waveformless.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... er-do.html
Dunno if this is at all interesting but it's some pointer on how to do "Phys....ermm Comb Filtering". It's done on NI Massive. I have'nt watched it so i don't know how much is applicable on Z2.

I just played around with the comb filters today and WOW!!!
I've never used 'em before and it was plenty fun. Nothing really worthy of sharing so far.

Return to “u-he”