Programming Atomic's synth

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been messing with Atomic's synth. How do I disable one oscillator so I can hear what my edits are doing to the other?

I'm having some basic problems, mostly because of my lack of experience in programming a synth. :?

I figured out to disable the Seq and set the outside rings (to the first cell) in order to work on the synth apart from the sequencer. But, if anybody would care to offer any tips for programming the synth, at a novice level, I'd be happy to read them. I don't mean things like "set osc 1 to x and filter cutoff to y," but more like "how to hear the settings of the 7th step cell apart from the first six." I need to better understand the mechanical controls of Atomic, not so much how to create sounds.

Thanks!
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill...

Hi Dave

Thanks for your questions

yeah..there is no separate volume controls for each oscillator, but you can make it sound like one oscillator is going by some 'tricks'

First, turn off the SEQ and the KEY buttons at the top so they are un-highlighted. This lets you just play with the synth. If you have KEY on, with the SEQ off, it actually uses the steps in the seq to make timbral changes using the inner sequence knobs, but that's not what we are doing :-)so have KEY off.

To make it sound like one oscillator, simply put each oscillator waveform to the same waveform! The center two knobs ( within each other) are the actual waveform assign for each oscillator. Putting both on S (saw) will give you a basic waveform to work with.

also make sure that the octave switch (left digital display) is set to zero, and the right bottom knob ( above the center big knob) is in the middle position to a unison position.( use your ears for that!) Then the top left knob controls the detune spread.

From there you can experiment with filter settings and envelope settings.

I hope this helps a little. there are some 'easter eggs" in the oscillator section which may surprise you, so experimentation is the key as well.

Tim

Thanks Tim. I'll give it another go. :)
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill...

Return to “AlgoMusic”