M42 Review

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice that this is still being appreciated.
Go Algo!!

Musical Gym wrote:Nice that this is still being appreciated.
Go Algo!!
YES.!!!!!.a nice fresh review of M42. Most of the other ones were done when it was released in 2004, so a 2009 posting brings it up to date with a bit more visibility to this seemingly 'underrated' synth, and perhaps a 'secret weapon' to some.

Tim

M42 is definitely a secret weapon. It can either sit nicely back in a mix or come to the fore with a vengence. Fantastic instrument.

It would be nice to have a new way of preserving the various soundsets (like the M42 ambient set) and re-installing them without going through the old password method. I've lost a few of those old passwords and can't re-install without bugging Tim :wink:

David

www.davidlinn.com

davidlinn wrote:M42 is definitely a secret weapon. It can either sit nicely back in a mix or come to the fore with a vengence. Fantastic instrument.

It would be nice to have a new way of preserving the various soundsets (like the M42 ambient set) and re-installing them without going through the old password method. I've lost a few of those old passwords and can't re-install without bugging Tim :wink:

David

www.davidlinn.com
Thanks for agreeing on the secret weapon analogy :-)

while off topic for this thread: After installing, simply make a backup of the folder it is installed in, and everything will be 'preserved'. All you have to do is copy the folder to your vst directory when you need a new fresh install as there are no registration entries as in some vst's you have to install. :-)

Tim

Tim, I know this thread is about the M42, but I have a question on M51 (That I also like a lot). It is perfect the way it is now, but if you one day do an update on the M51 could you place a support for loading a soundfont like the M42 Nebula? :)

Thanks...
Alex.

alexfalcao wrote:Tim, I know this thread is about the M42, but I have a question on M51 (That I also like a lot). It is perfect the way it is now, but if you one day do an update on the M51 could you place a support for loading a soundfont like the M42 Nebula? :)

Thanks...
Alex.
well..then it would be an M42 nebula and not an M51 Phase modulation synth :-)

Tim

You're right, I never thought about that. I'm very slow when thinking (I need to upgrade my brain). :hihi:

Alex.

anybody else feel like M42 is their 'secret weapon' ??

Tim

Looks like I should take the demo for a spin...

OT: Tim, with all the references to Messier and other deep sky objects, I suspect you're into amateur astronomy?

amobms wrote:Looks like I should take the demo for a spin...

OT: Tim, with all the references to Messier and other deep sky objects, I suspect you're into amateur astronomy?
Yes, I am. I have an 8" hardin Dob with some good EPs, celestron binocs, and an Orion small go scope for quick looks.

maybe sometime I'll get a 36" obsession :-)

Tim

tconrardy wrote:anybody else feel like M42 is their 'secret weapon' ??

Tim
It's still one of my favorite instrument. I use the patches it comes with a lot! :)

Tim
Yes Tim, I do! Besides all Stuff I have, I go often to the M42 + the TC M42 Ambient Soundset, and use it often.

Tim
I wonder what god suggested he check this one out?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

tconrardy wrote:
amobms wrote:Looks like I should take the demo for a spin...

Yes, I am. I have an 8" hardin Dob with some good EPs, celestron binocs, and an Orion small go scope for quick looks.

maybe sometime I'll get a 36" obsession :-)

Tim
...and a ladder. I've been using an observatory-housed 16" since the late 70s. Excellent facility, but light pollution is beginning to encroach. I guess that's progress for you...

Clear skies.

tconrardy wrote:
Musical Gym wrote:Nice that this is still being appreciated.
Go Algo!!
YES.!!!!!.a nice fresh review of M42. Most of the other ones were done when it was released in 2004, so a 2009 posting brings it up to date with a bit more visibility to this seemingly 'underrated' synth, and perhaps a 'secret weapon' to some.

Tim
Hi Tim,
"Underrated synth" indeed.
I love this synth! Believe me, for the past 2 weeks I have been checking out dozens of demos. I mean thoroughly checking them out.

Of all the demos I have thus far checked out, this is the one that I just had to buy after previewing all your presets.

The pads are stunningly beautiful, hauntingly spacey, yet at the same time retaining a completely musical character.

I love this synth and will recommend it to everyone.
- Igor

Return to “AlgoMusic”