Output volume control?

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

My first post so go easy on me ;)

Been trying to get to grips with Sonic Birth, which looks like a very cool and powerful app, but I'm finding the enclosed documentation anything but useful to be honest.

I've figured out a few things for myself already but I can't seem to be able to insert a "volume" or "master level" output control.. I know this is probably a simple thing but I just can't find out how to do it anywhere..

How would I go about doing this?

Also, it mentions in the manual that you can import the bundled plug-ins, to enable you to get an idea of how these were constructed. This would be a great idea.. If it worked... When I try to import the plug-in's it simply loads the compiled plug-in! Which is, of course, no help whatsoever!

Am I missing something here? Should there have been some .sbc files with the installer? If there were, I certainly can't find them anywhere.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi, welcome to the forum. Don't worry about your question, everyone's been there. I like to think there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!

In terms of a volume plugin, you need to use what is essentially an amplifier - the multiply object (*). Connect your audio signal to one inlet and then an argument (which is essentially a variable number that manifests itself as a slider or a knob) to the other inlet. If its max and min values (set in the inspector window) are 0 > 1 then you will be able to use the multiply object to either multiply the signal by 0 (i.e. mute it) or multiply it by a decimal between 0 and 1. When multiplying by 1 you have the signal at its original level, when multiplying by anything less it reduces the volume. If you want to be able to amplify the master level (above its original level) then set the range to 0 > 2 (for example). Then your slider will be able to mute the audio (0) or double it's amplitude (2). Watch out for clipping though!

In terms of impoprting sonic birth plugins, you need to use the open plugin option (not import) and then select the actual audio unit created by sonic birth. Audio Units created with sonic birth have the circuit embedded in them (thats why you have to have sonic birth installed to run sonic birth plugins in host packages) but although a credit to their creators, and to sonic birth's power, they are quite complex so don't get scared off by them. Think of them more from a 'this is what it can do' point of view. When you export a plugin from sonic birth, you have the option of preventing it being reopened in circuit form in sonic birth. The included plugins do not have this option enabled.

I hope this is of some help and apologise if I've been confusing anywhere or inaccurate as this is from memory.

Stick with sonic birth as it is a really great piece of software.

Have fun and I hope you have many hours of tinkering ahead of you.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for your reply!

I'm going to try that right now.

:)

Hi

I have an Wet/Dry Circut in my Impulse response Reverb.

In the My first Impulse Responce Reverb topic.

The download contains the source file (.sbc) also.

have fun

Return to “SonicBirth”