Muse Research yet again not at Musikmesse?

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Compyfox
KVRAF
Topic Starter
14566 posts since 19 Oct, 2003 from Berlin, Germany

Post Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:49 pm

I find it kinda hard to believe, but for years now MUSE Research doesn't shop up on the list of exhibitors.

Why, if I may ask? Isn't MUSE Research the leading light of "VST/VSTi on a 2U hardware rack"?

I only saw the Receptor, at a very late/early RC1 state at Musikmesse like 2005 as direct competition to the back in the day highly praised Plugzilla (which never really dived out of the underground).

Is it that Germany really only gets what was left over from NAMM?

Unless MUSE Research "has" a booth in Hall 5.1 and it just wasn't put on the list. Or I didn't use the right seach-term.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ]

demierra
KVRist
91 posts since 22 Dec, 2006

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:11 am

Compyfox wrote:Is it that Germany really only gets what was left over from NAMM?
Sounds like you are quite right... unfortunately
Compyfox wrote:Unless MUSE Research "has" a booth in Hall 5.1 and it just wasn't put on the list. Or I didn't use the right seach-term.
I had a look at the Musikmesse website, and I couldn't find them either...

Demierra

gregh1
KVRist
197 posts since 23 Jan, 2006 from Ontario, Canada

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:41 am

The Musikmesse is an excellent trade show, and many new products are shown there. But it can be quite expensive to cross the Atlantic with the team, the booth, and the gear. I'm guessing maybe 5 digits, including flights, shipping, hotel, food, booth costs, and so on. Also, preparation for it would take a lot of time away from other things that we all want Muse to do!
Last edited by gregh1 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Holmes
Retailer: Acoustic Image, BassLab, Muse Receptor, MIDIjet, Rayzoon Jamstix, and more...
http://www.ghservices.com/
http://www.gregholmes.com/

thesoundsmith
KVRian
524 posts since 25 Aug, 2005

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 am

FWIW, trade shows are for the trade. For a small company, they can be financially challenging without a lot of reward. I used to work for a small computer firm that blew its annual marketing budget to make a splash at COMDEX in Vegas. Hotel suite, hot and cold running blondes (well, booze, anyway!) Without making one sale, or generating any serious interest for the other computer professionals. Three months later they filed Chapter 11 and we were all looking for other day gigs.

Personally, I'm glad Chris was smart enough to recognize it as the puff piece it is (for US manufacturers, Euro companies are a different matter.) The smaller guys have the same issue at NAMM.
Dasher
The Soundsmith
It's all about the music. I keep telling myself that...

Compyfox
KVRAF
Topic Starter
14566 posts since 19 Oct, 2003 from Berlin, Germany

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:29 am

Great, that means if I want to try the most recent Receptor, the store in my town has to order one "on my behalf". And they gave me already the look-of-death to not even ask them.

Either I have to get one, or it'll be a store keeper. Not going to happen. I liked the concept back in the day, I enjoyed Ben's company and it was more like a killer compared to the Plugzilla (where the dev's couldn't even present their thing properly, sorry - but I felt like that).

So yeah, as somebody who "is" interested in the Receptor, as I am interested in the Audio Impressions "Link System", I want to see this thing in action, touch it, talk with the developers about odds and ends. This is not going to happen otherwise - as I said - no store takes the risk of getting a 2grand device that a interested customer might not get after all.

And looking at recent fairs here in Germany, it sure is a joke that we only get the leftovers from NAMM. Then prices should fall in this case too. But alas - it went up again by yet another buck (7 Euro in 2 years for less exhibitors and even less support).
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ]

demierra
KVRist
91 posts since 22 Dec, 2006

Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:01 am

Hi Compyfox,

If you live not far from Switzerland, you could maybe phone PEK in Zurich (www.pek.ch). They are official distributors for Muse products in Switzerland (that's where I bought mine), and I'm sure they will be glad to welcome you for a presentation of the Receptor. Two months ago, they even had very good prices on the Rev.C versions.

Demierra

Bryan@MuseResearch
MUSEician
618 posts since 18 Sep, 2003 from Silicon Valley

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:47 am

Compyfox wrote:I find it kinda hard to believe, but for years now MUSE Research doesn't shop up on the list of exhibitors.

Why, if I may ask? Isn't MUSE Research the leading light of "VST/VSTi on a 2U hardware rack"?

I only saw the Receptor, at a very late/early RC1 state at Musikmesse like 2005 as direct competition to the back in the day highly praised Plugzilla (which never really dived out of the underground).

Is it that Germany really only gets what was left over from NAMM?

Unless MUSE Research "has" a booth in Hall 5.1 and it just wasn't put on the list. Or I didn't use the right seach-term.
We've been at the Musik Messe every year that we've been a company, but it is always in the booth of our distributor. The last two years we have been in the booth of Digital Audio Services from Hamburg. They will be showing Receptors this year there as well (if Fed Ex comes through, they will be showing the new RECEPTOR 2 standard model that just started shipping last week!). Unfortunately we aren't sending any people over from California this year, but Arnd, Thomas, and the DAS crew really know their stuff.

The problem is really that the Musik Messe database does not support listing individual companies that are part of distributors booths. So even though we aren't listed in the directory, we are always actually there. I guess I can understand why they do that, as some distributors will carry 10 or 20 lines, and you have a bit of a geometric explosion of listings if they were allowed to list every product that will be in their booth!

As for Germany getting NAMM's left-overs, that's hardly fair, I think. We very much value our European customers, and our partnerships with companies like IK Multimedia and Native Instruments are well known. And we also value the contributions of all the European developers (too many to list) who in my opinion are doing the most exciting work around (now I'm in trouble...).

Now it is a fact that you have two major tradeshows within 90 days of each other... and to be perfectly honest that probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense since most product development and release cycles are at least 6 months long, and I would love nothing more than to be able to visit Frankfurt in say June or July and see the trees with leaves on them for once!!! However, I think its a matter of "its always been this way" so the fact is that NAMM happens first, so most of the big announcements happen there.

What we probably need to do better is publicize the fact that are participating in other's booths. I'll be sure to fix that moving forward. And be sure and drop by the DAS booth and say hi to the guys there.

Cheers

Groovology

Robert Karasek
KVRist
308 posts since 1 Oct, 2004 from Germany

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:33 am

I visited the "DAS"-booth today.

(1) too bad, receptor 2 wasn't connected/powered on at all.

(2) other than that, I'd been looking forward to see the MuseBOX - but they don't have it there.

so, I guess I have to plan a trip to the US in the near future :)
(the dollar/EUR - currency is pretty good at the moment anyway :P

Bryan@MuseResearch
MUSEician
618 posts since 18 Sep, 2003 from Silicon Valley

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Robert Karasek wrote:I...
so, I guess I have to plan a trip to the US in the near future :)
(the dollar/EUR - currency is pretty good at the moment anyway :P
By all means feel free to stop by for a personal demo, and I'll even buy you coffee! California is beautiful this time of year (as long as you don't have allergies!)

Groovology

Return to “Muse Research and Development”