Overlapping different chords that support each other

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a method to quickly find different chords that can overlap to support each others harmony?

For instance, there is a technique for mixing DJ sets called harmonic mixing. Here is more info:
http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/HowTo.aspx

Can this Camelot wheel be applied to music production? Maybe there is another similar guide for overlapping chords.

I guess the perfect technique is your ear and knowledge of each chord notes.

If two chords have at least 2 notes in common they will blend smoothly. If they have 1 or nothing in common it will be hard to mix them.

Think: CMajor is C,E,G. So ANY chord that has C,E or C,G or EG will mix fine with this. This chords can be..

Am= a, C, E
Cm= C, eb, G
Em= E, G, b

etc, etc... if you go for 7ths you can wide your spectrum... for instance G7= G,B,D,F

Here you can mix even stranger chords like Db7= db, F, Ab, Cb(=B), you'll have 2 notes in common.

So, learn all the chords by heart. And mix whatever you want since they share notes.
Play fair and square!

superddman wrote:Is there a method to quickly find different chords that can overlap to support each others harmony?

For instance, there is a technique for mixing DJ sets called harmonic mixing. Here is more info:

Can this Camelot wheel be applied to music production? Maybe there is another similar guide for overlapping chords.
I think you're over thinking the concept a bit. This appears to be a technique of playing songs back to back that are in related keys so as not to be jarring.

Regarding layering chords...if you overlap two or more chords, you usually just get the effect of one complex chord.

There DOES exist something called polytonality, which is more than one tonal center at once. Bartok and Stravinsky used this, among others.

Maybe someone could be the first to create polytonal dance tracks??? 8)

superddman wrote:Is there a method to quickly find different chords that can overlap to support each others harmony?

Generating a list of overlaping chords is a basic feature of Chordwarepa. just right-click on a list chord and select 'variance 1,2,or 3' from the menu... (variance of 1 means that the new chord list will have only 1 note thats different.) And some theory knowledge will help you take advantage of features.
(The software you linked to is for key detection of wave or mp3)

There are lots of chords that overlap one another that don't use the stacking method as discussed earlier. For example, on the piano, one of my favorite sounding chords is a C7 in the left hand and a C#m6 in the right.

As far as a quick way of knowing how to do this, I have never come across any book or tool to help with that. You have to get pretty good at music theory to understand why these harmonies work together well, then you can go forward and come up with some of your own.

I happen to like the way DJ's fade mixes from song to song. When the melodies of the songs are totally unrelated but the beats mesh perfectly, it often sounds very interesting.

Return to “Music Theory”