Help for a synth beginner - should I get Zebra or ACE?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks guys!

I wish i had the time to sit and learn reaktor, i'm looking my way through some of the max/msp tutorials at the moment, slowly and steadily, mainly so I can do some fiddling to make simple control patches in the future.

I tend to have less time to play with synths and the like than I'd like (because I work incredibly long hours in a completely unmusical job), but I like to have nice tools waiting for me when I get home so that I can relax and unwind and mainly make loud noises!

I had a play with both zebra and ACE, and on first instinct, really love ACE, it has a great fat sound, and I agree it eats CPU, but i'll test out my dual cores and see how they go, i could run all the demo patches with little trouble.

I figure I can just start with one knob at a time, and get used to the signal flow etc. I think in like 10 or so years I may have some idea of what i'm doing with all of this. Life was a lot easier a couple of years ago when all I did was play guitar, now all of a sudden with computers and midi there are so many cool things that i'd like to do, it gets hard to know where to start!

Which ztar are you getting?
First rule. If it's not instock be patient. Everyone waits longer then they feel they should.

Second. Give yourself and the instrument a chance. It's not a guitar. While you can slide in "stick" or "ztar" modes you can't in guitar mode. Usually it takes four hours or more to adapt to the instrument. The feel of the keys or bars (in the case of the babyz) don't feel the same as fingers touching strings touching the fretboard.

Third if you are going to play it in "stick" or 'poly' mode start with a fixed velocity setting. Armature affects velocity. your under or left had will have less force behind it then your right or overhand. Later you can develop curves based on your playing to control volume dynamics.

The ztar comes with one preset "Song" you will need to spend some time with the editor creating different songs based on your needs.
Stick
Set frotboard to tap and scan mode to guitar is the easiest to adapt to as you can apply hammerons pull offs and slides and the instrument will respond in kind

Ztar or poly set fretboard to tap and scan mode to poly. Works better for "piano' two part type playing like harvey does
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXgiJgRIbmE
It doesn't work well with bar chords.

If you are getting a babyz or Z6sp spend some time getting aquainted with the pots. Iniially they are all set to volume however you can set them to any cc value and they will respond in kind. less reaching over for the mouse to adjust a parameter more fun playing.

Hi tapper mike

I'm getting a z6spx with a breath controller an the neck strip- ordered it a month and a half ago from what I was told it should be ready about now but will check that up.
I'm certain it's not quite like a guitar but mainly notes will be where I'm used to them as opposed to the piano! So should make synth playing much easier.

Can't wait - and also am loving Ace - It had me reading about eurorack modulars!
One day!

Which ztar do you have mike?

Return to “u-he”