Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Re: 12 Strings
Your next guitar maybe should be a "Nashville tuned" aka high tuned 6 string acoustic.

This is a great alternative to having a 12 string, especially for strummed parts.

Essentially the 6 additional strings of a 12 string pack are only used ... so that the e-a-d-g strings are an octave higher than standard, while the high B and E strings are standard.

I use a modified version of this with only the e-a-d tuned an octave higher with the G-B-E being standard. (Often I go a step further and down tune everything a full step).

Try it next time you change strings and you'll be amazed at the bright sound. It sits in a full mix better as it is a smaller frequency range that doesn't add mud. For a 12 string effect, record a Nashville tuned panned right and a standard tuned 6 panned left.

I liked it so much I purchased a dedicated acoustic for this tuning. Hours of fresh inspiration just playing it. I've told many a skeptic and they are sold on idea once they try it.

tapper mike wrote: Mandocello?
I actually play mandolin pretty well, so I'm used to the double courses of strings, but not sure I would go for the mandocello ahead of an Irish Bouzouki, which I think is a far superior instrument. Irish Bouzoukis are never cheap though, and if I spent what I would on a Bouzouki I would be able to get a pretty decent 12 string.

As for Nashville tuning, it's never really appealed to me. It sounds good in the right context, but I don't know if I would want to have a guitar permanently strung that way. I kind of have that sound covered anyway with my dulcimer, although the playing style is very different and it's not so flexible as Nashville tuning.
Sweet child in time...

Kevin63101 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:40 am Re: 12 Strings
Your next guitar maybe should be a "Nashville tuned" aka high tuned 6 string acoustic.

This is a great alternative to having a 12 string, especially for strummed parts.

Essentially the 6 additional strings of a 12 string pack are only used ... so that the e-a-d-g strings are an octave higher than standard, while the high B and E strings are standard.

I use a modified version of this with only the e-a-d tuned an octave higher with the G-B-E being standard. (Often I go a step further and down tune everything a full step).

Try it next time you change strings and you'll be amazed at the bright sound. It sits in a full mix better as it is a smaller frequency range that doesn't add mud. For a 12 string effect, record a Nashville tuned panned right and a standard tuned 6 panned left.

I liked it so much I purchased a dedicated acoustic for this tuning. Hours of fresh inspiration just playing it. I've told many a skeptic and they are sold on idea once they try it.
dont use a cheapy acoustic for nashville tuning, and have some spare strings :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:37 pm dont use a cheapy acoustic for nashville tuning, and have some spare strings :hihi:
LOL, I actually have an extremely cheap Yamaha jumbo the I use super slinky electric strings on in Nashville. Just double track with a normal guitar and it sounds anywhere from exactly like a 12 string to exactly like 2 guys playing weird guitars and can’t make up their mind what they are playing. It’s super hard to get that playing vibe though.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Dammit I still want a Jackson Dinky. It will complete my solid body guitar collection and then I can focus on a jazz box to complete my hollow body collection.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Probably shouldn't, but am thinking of one of these as I always love playing chords on a bass anyway;

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guit ... -vi-590342

Or maybe the Revelation one;

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/revelation-rjt-60b

"Cons - Narrow string spacings may impede slapping." - That's supposed to be be an impediment? :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:35 pm "Cons - Narrow string spacings may impede slapping." - That's supposed to be be an impediment? :hihi:
I'll come to the rescue and gladly slap you regardless of your string spacing.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:35 pm "Cons - Narrow string spacings may impede slapping." - That's supposed to be be an impediment? :hihi:
I'll come to the rescue and gladly slap you regardless of your string spacing.
You'll never catch me in that cape.

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:45 pm You'll never catch me in that cape.

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:35 pm Probably shouldn't, but am thinking of one of these as I always love playing chords on a bass anyway;

I think if I had one of those I would be learning a lot of Cure songs...
Sweet child in time...

A 6 string bass with a whammy bar?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:56 pm A 6 string bass with a whammy bar?
Same tuning as a guitar rather than having a low B, so sort of a cross between an bass and guitar really. Fender used to do one years ago and have re-issued that as well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqnCNwcvYSs

Yeah, The Beatles used one in the Let It Be movie.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

They are actually pretty great sounding .. not quite a baritone but a baritone errr yeah that must make perfect sense.

I've never tried a bass with a B top string. Or a 7 string guitar, for that matter. I'm quite the traditionalist in that sense.
Last edited by Bombadil on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”