I cannot sing, yet I try

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Massive is a great synth.
I am freestyling a little with it.
Check out those nice arpeggio's I just made.
And I tried to sing. Why ? Because I can !

http://rapidshare.com/files/406228585/I ... _i_try.mp3 :D

Very nice ! :love:
Not always easy to make something relevant with all those arpeggios, you succeed here in doing a very nice Intro that rely on good harmonic movement and strong vocal melodic line. Your voice fits as well as possible, yes you CAN sing !
However, general Mix (vocal) needs to be cleared out as you can imagine.

Makes me think as some Daft-Punk style track.

Work on it, nothing for you to be ashamed of : Hit potential !

Those are good chords but the singing ruins it IMO. Your voice sounds to thin in the mix and you should try to apply some autotuning. Better yet-find a pro vocalist and let them sing it or try a vocoder.

Yeah I know. I just can't sing. But I felt like singing. So I did it.
If I ever make a song out of it I will have to find someone who can sing.
Or what you say ... I could try autotune or channel it trough a vocoder.
8)
Glad you liked the chords.

Ok, I made it a little better. Just a little :(
I put in trought vocodex twice .Once for the low part and once for the high part. Then put different EQ and reverb on both and mixed it.
Now it sounds like this.

http://rapidshare.com/files/406667345/I ... s_can_.mp3

So it's in tune but the timing is not perfect. I think I am going to record my voice again then put it trough the vocoder again.

What you guys think. An improvement ?
I still don't know if I am going to make a full song out this little try out. I only made it to see what my new Massive presets can sound like.

You failed ! :(

Use of a Vocoder that way, you totally loose FRESHNESS of your voice.
What's the point with your voice ? Do you want to be some kind of a Diva ? May i suggest you to listen at Romanthony "One More Time" performance from Daft Punk, you can even find an Unplugged version (Acoustic) out there & tell me if you think you are so far from him.

He does make use of Auto-Tune (& Compression) on this track but with special intention in mind (Instrument like effect) not for masking or to correct the imperfection of his singing & without loosing natural & tonal characteristics of his voice (you can barely detect treatment).
As a producer which i'm not, i would keep your delicate voice as it is. More important here is the Melody line.

I repeat : Hit potential, work on it.

PS: More than Vocoder & Auto-Tune stuffs i suggest you to experiment with Vocal Harmonizing Engines as you seem to have a good background in that domain. First you could find nice ideas for your song & second it will surely allow you to progress in your singing.
PPS: I get it, Michael Franks...

Yeah I know. I don't really like a vocoder for everything on the voice. Only for some special notes like in that song of cher that was famous for it.
And in the songs of Daft Punk like in One More Time.

I just need a good singer to sing my lyrics. Then when I have a good audio track with everything in sink and no false notes whatever. Then I can experiment with some autotune or vocoding. The best sound imo is that what you get with a talk box. :D

I'm kind of with Koo'waan on this. The vocoder really kills this song. Go with the first version.

The main problem with the vocals is not that it's out of tune. You just can't hear the voice at times because the synths are much too loud relative to the voice.

You need to push the voice up in the mix and lower the gain on the synths. Also, if you want to thicken the voice, add a bit of chorus or ADT, or double/triple up the tracks and pan them. Maybe add some reverb as well. As for pitch control, a little Melodyne goes a long way too. If you don't want to go for Melodyne, just record the voice many times and cut/paste together the best portions.

The song is really quite good, but I don't think that a really synthetic instrumentation goes well with a synthetic-sounding voice. I've heard way too many Kate Lesing/techno remixes, but they all show that a really nice, natural voice goes really well with a lush synth orchestration.

Ok, nice advice.

So is Melodyne and Direct Note Acces the best thing for pitch correction ?
Or should I try the infamous Auto-tune ?

Melodyne is much more than just a tool for correcting weak intonation.
You can totally resculpt your melodies with it.
But Autotune will do the job just fine. Try it-you will be surprised how much better your voice will sit in the mix once it is in tune with the rest.

I actually prefer the vocoder version here, although mainly because it is slightly higher in the mix and I just like that sound.

There is a nice tune here on the vocals, but you're hiding it behind the synth arps, rather than the vocals being in front and everything mixed around them - which is what I think you should do .. vocoder or not.

Sure there are a couple of duff notes in the first version that you could clean up with a pitch shift or two.. or some practice.. but the voice is fine imo and works well with the arrangment.. you would get something really nice out of the right mix here..

Recording vocals is scary sure, but imo nothing here says you couldn't pull it off with a different approach to the mix.

:wink:

Ok, I will try that.

I think that the following approach is going to be the best.
I will complete the song, then get some vocalists. A girl and a boy would be nice. I think the vocal melody of the vocoder version (that has a vocal line with a two voices in it) I will let the boy sing one melody and the girl another. I then try to mix it so that the voices are on top of the synth.
Then for the final touch I will get some auto tune effects on some of the notes to get a Daft Punk like song.

Yeah that would be nice if I do it like that.
But I first need to find some good lyrics and complete the structure of the song.

Return to “Music Cafe”