One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frostline wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:11 pm Is the use of Rewire to combine two DAWs allowed in OSC?
As I understand it Rewire passes the audio from one DAW to another for further processing, so it could fall foul of the rule you quoted: "Audio must not be touched at all once it leaves the DAW" if any effects or mastering are applied in the receiving DAW.
Midi signals of course are perfectly ok. I believe Rewire2 allows for midi signals to be passed.

I believe this has been touched on in the past, and the consensus at the time was that its prob easier, and safer to simply stick with a single DAW for the competition.

new kids on the block wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:46 pm at the end of the competition, when the winner is elected, it's much better when you can listen to the compositions directly on the site google one synth challenge. We could see the number of points of each and the ranking and in addition to listen.

the function disappeared from the osc 105 to now, why ?

for example :
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-72-eclipsis
I too would like to see the return of this.
At the moment the track lists can been accessed via the soundcloud link embedded in the submissions and chat threads for each competition.
I believe the issue is to do with the storage and linking of the tracks into the google site, with which there have been a number of difficulties recently. This is something we are working to resolve.

RichardSemper wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:28 pm
Frostline wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:11 pm Is the use of Rewire to combine two DAWs allowed in OSC?
I believe this has been touched on in the past, and the consensus at the time was that its prob easier, and safer to simply stick with a single DAW for the competition.
OSC_MidiDawRule.png
In the rules it says sending midi from one DAW to another is allowed.
Rewire the audio would go against the "More Clarification: Audio must not be touched at all once it leaves the DAW..." rule mentioned below.

I have a quick question - I'm using FL Studio and am wondering if it's ok to use Maximus on the master bus. I'm asking because I'm learning this stuff and all the "mastering with fl native plugins" tutorials I've seen on YouTube use Maximus.

Otherwise I may just download all the effects Schiing is using and begin learning those :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RichardSemper wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:28 pm
As I understand it Rewire passes the audio from one DAW to another for further processing, so it could fall foul of the rule you quoted: "Audio must not be touched at all once it leaves the DAW" if any effects or mastering are applied in the receiving DAW.
Midi signals of course are perfectly ok. I believe Rewire2 allows for midi signals to be passed.
Possible that they (the DAWs I am testing) are all Rewire2 then. They just say Rewire but midi is going back and forth just fine.
It seems more like the rewire client is acting as a rather large VST container inside the Rewire host. I can create midi in the host with the vsti in the client and the audio comes out in the host, not the client.

So what does
Midi signals of course are perfectly ok.
actually mean in the context of what is allowed?

If something is only in the midi domain and not audio what rules govern that?

For example Cableguys MidiShaper http://www.cableguys.com/midishaper.html

Since that is only doing midi data is it allowed even though it is not free?

It mimics features found in some DAWs (just sadly not Reaper) so what it does seems to be allowed in principle since there are no rules prohibiting parameter modulation.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Ranoka wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:07 pm I have a quick question - I'm using FL Studio and am wondering if it's ok to use Maximus on the master bus. I'm asking because I'm learning this stuff and all the "mastering with fl native plugins" tutorials I've seen on YouTube use Maximus.
Maximus is native fl studio plugin with exceptions of Fruity edition of FL studio. So if you are using fruity edition you need to purchase it as sepparate vst plugin. Any higher version of FL have Maximus as native plugin without option to use as VST in other application. I for example have Signature bundle and I'm using maximus in OSC regularly.

So answer should be:
If you have Fruity edition of FL then no you can't use maximus otherwise it should be considired as native DAW plugin and maximus is just 3 band compressor, limiter.

Here's a synth suggestion for a future OSC, a synth that is famous in demo scene "64klang2"
https://github.com/hzdgopher/64klang

I have not checked for it's compatibility to other OS than windows, still the demos done with it are amazing. Check out those that are linked through the readme.md and I'm pretty sure you gonna find a few more yourself via google.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOwD5nQ ... e=youtu.be

Not encouraging from the GitHub page:
The 64klang2 VSTi plugin is currently 32bit only, so if possible use a 32bit DAW, 64bit DAWs and bridging will most likely lead to crashes sooner or later.
The example you linked does sound good though.
I downloaded it, will see how it goes. I think I have a portable 32-bit Reaper around here somewhere if it comes to that.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Like Richard said, it's easier and safer to stick with a DAW, but I believe people have used rewire in the past. If you feel you must use it, just make it clear in the description you used rewire. If used properly, it's kind of like:
Me -> DAW(Daw1->rewire->Daw2) -> output. If you treat the total signal chain using the rules, should be ok.

This is something we could add in the rules.

Audio / Archives, and points info is a must, and I'll be getting that up and running in the next week. In the next few days you might see some new players pop up or activity in the archive.

Multi-band compressor: anyone know of a free multi-band compressor for use in OSC that allows for separate side-chain compression of the different bands? I can't find one...

I've been away for a long time... but I'm wondering, what happened to the playlists on the top synth page? after 104 Zebralette they're not there? what gives? I like to go back and listen to old comps for fun and inspiration sometimes, and I'd love to have those back. anywhoo, I'm looking to return to OSC soon, look out for me!

Hello Everyone!

This is my 1st post. While researching for some free soft synths, I came across KVR OSC and was awe-struck at what can be achieved with these free software (I had the misconception that I absolutely "needed" some commercial VST synth like Serum etc. to produce quality music, but boy I was so wrong). I have listened to almost all the tracks from most of the challenges. Very intricate sound design and arrangement. So cool.

I've recently started my journey with electronic music production in Reaper (about 2 months). I've made some basic experimental progress and produced some short mediocre tracks (mostly EDM oriented). I've used stock Reaper plugins and Synth1 and Helm mostly. However I have used samples for drums (I just learned how to synthesise drums in synths recently). Sharing my tracks to give you some context.

https://soundcloud.com/theexponent

I want to learn and improve (my personal long-term goal is to be able to release a quality album). I have some knowledge of music theory and have gotten a basic grasp of production and synthesis concepts. I want to participate in every upcoming OSC to help me improve and also meet some very cool people on this forum.

However, I'm overwhelmed by the complexity of the tracks (composition as well as sound design) here at the OSCs. I went through mmGhost's tutorial series on YouTube and it was very helpful. I have created several 16 bar loops, however, I'm unable to make a song over 4 mins in length with such detailed sound design and complexity in composition. I request the fellow experienced OSC'ers to help with some sort of framework to help me channelize my efforts and time. Such as how to layer sounds, how to design sounds that fit a certain section, how to learn more about composing such complex pieces etc.

TL;DR
- Beginner musician, need help getting started with creating tracks for OSC (in order to learn faster and improve as a musician). Currently overwhelmed and stuck at how to go about expanding from a loop to a beautiful full-length track with layers and intricate sounds.
Last edited by exponent1 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Exponent - you're ready to join OSC!

I know you wanted a response from experienced members, I'm also a beginner. I just want to say don't feel like you have to be ready to start! And honestly after listening to your music, it's way better than anything I've done and I already entered last month. If you listen to the hot mess of a track I made, I clearly don't know how to arrange either, but the feedback I'm getting it worth it, even if I place last. While you're at the start of your journey you shouldn't expect to place highly because there's a lot to learn and competition is coming from experienced musicians - check how many tracks the winners have in their Soundcloud!

The length of the tracks you have are fine also, other people enter short tracks too. Arrangement could be the first thing you focus on when entering if that's what you want to improve the most. YouTube has a lot of videos with suggestions to turn loops into full songs because that's a common issue for beginners!

I would suggest you join the Slack, and I saw you already did :D

Welcome to OSC, and I hope you take part this month!

Thanks a lot Ranoka! :)

Also, I participated this month :D Thanks to your very warm and welcoming post. Have a great day :)

Hello everyone, sorry for once more hi-jacking this thread for the Songwriting Competition over on Mix Challenge

But I think this might be of interest for you sound designers.

As you've probably heard through various hints throughout recent posts of mine, I've been working on a special Songwriting Competition that is planned to recur each year on January. However, not with a limited tool set, but rather a limited sound set. The basic idea is to first collect up to two self-created sounds/samples per participant in this endeavor (can be synthetic, can be Foley material) until 14th December. These sounds will then be turned into a sample package of up to (roughly) 20 samples, which will then be used as basis or rather sole sound source for the next Songwriting Competition (SWC017/January).

The twist here is to create a production with just these sounds and samples, but there is absolutely no limit on how you get there. You can use resampling, wavetable synthesis, modulation, etc. As long as you don't use any additional synths or instruments. Vocals are allowed though. Else, the rules of the Songwriting Competition apply.

More about this can be read here, and the sample collection thread can be found through this link.

I'd definitely love to see the participants of the OSC over on Mix Challenge as well, as this adds a slightly different twist to what you're used to here on KVR Audio.

Furthermore, I'm inviting you to the current running Songwriting Competition.

The theme of the game (SWC016) is "Winter Solstice" and the genre is "free to select". In this run, there is no limit to what tools you use. Deadline: 24th December 2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Joining is absolutely free, you will get feedback to your production (a mandatory rule for the voting process). Bonus: free licenses for the winners podium.

I would love to see you folks over there as well, help us get beyond 10 participants per month.
A huge thank you in advance! :tu:

More on: https://www.mix-challenge.com
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Instruments”