***Zebrify Patch Contest***

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zebrify: The Amen Break

Following a vote the task chosen for this next contest is to design a Zebrify patch to be used with the Amen Break.

As usual the prize for this contest is pretty damn good - a free choice of U-He software!

Rulez and other important stuff:

Apologies, some of this is a little more involved then I would like. Bear in mind the rules may need some tinkering with - so check back, before finalizing you submissions.

NB: We're looking for a Zebrify (the effect pluign version of Zebra) patch, not a Zebra patch!

To ensure that we're all reading from the same script please use a Wav of the original 6 second, 4 bar loop. If you can't get hold of a copy, PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

My DAW puts it at 137.78 bpm. To simplify things, keep to this bpm (it would be quite an ask to expect auditioners to switch bpms from patch to patch).

Use Zebrify as a channel effect (across the whole signal) rather than a send effect.

In other words, just drop the wav into one of your DAW's audio channels, loop it at 137.78 bpm, leave channel gain at its default (should be 0db), add Zebrify to the channel as you would any other effect and patch away!

You may submit a maximum of two patches.

To anonymize your patch please put a question mark "?" in the patch author field (which you'll see when you save the patch in Zebrify).

The winning patch will decided by a vote.

Everyone who submits a patch is encouraged to vote!

Please try to ensure that your patch does not exhibit significant - ideally no - audio clipping.

Send a link to your patch/es (.h2p format) to bmrzycki, either by PM through this forum, or by email to: brzycki [at] gmail [dot] com

Deadline for Submissions - 10 am (UTC-6) Monday February 28th

Important! Please don't use Osc FX "PhaseDist" or "Wrap"!
Last edited by hakey on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Well, I guess this is gonna be a bit of a step in the dark for most of us, so the obvious place to start might be to RTFM!

Zebra (+Zebrify) manual

Perhaps not of any help for the task in hand, but just interesting anway, check out this vid and the WikiP entry for info about the Amen Break.

Some of the tips from the Zebralette contest might be applicable here.

Other Random Tips:

(take with a pinch...etc)

1. XY Pads: if your aiming to be competitive it's probably a good idea to use at least one of these - XY's might be particularly useful for 'playing' the patch this time around.

2. XY Pads: the trick when assigning an XY's is to choose an appropriate modulation range that keeps the patch within the 'Goldilocks Zone' - that is to say, the results of moving the cursor to any point within the XY shouldn't be 'too' anything (too bright, too loud, too sharp, too hot etc). For example, assigning the X axis to take a filter from fully closed to fully open might not be as musically useful as choosing a narrower range.

3. Use all of the available time to tweak your patches to perfection. A patch might seem finished, but come back to it a week later and chances are you'll hear something you didn't notice before, come up with a new trick, or just polish off some rough edges (or add some ;) ).
Last edited by hakey on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.

This contest sucks big time!
Yeah? (How's it going Slinky ;) )

Well, if you've got a great suggestion for a contest theme please speak your brains in this thread! We'll gather all the suggestions together, and have a vote at the end to decide the next contest.

Any other suggestions, questions, complaints even, feel free to voice them here.

Speaking of which - last contest, considering the high number of entries, I thought that 3 votes was too few. How about if, in cases where there are more than, say, 20 patches to choose from, we increase the number to 5 votes - points allocated in the same way, 5,4,3,2,1?
Last edited by hakey on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I put the wave file on the tmp dir of the patchlib for people to test/use. I hope it's not going to cause problems.
http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/tmp/Amen_Break.wav

(It's the original one from that .rar file)

bmrzycki wrote:I hope it's not going to cause problems.
Shouldn't do, so long as it is the same - why not use the wav from my link above, just to make sure?

hakey wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:I hope it's not going to cause problems.
Shouldn't do, so long as it is the same - why not use the wav from my link above, just to make sure?
I meant legal reasons, not fidelity ones. It's the same file.

The Amen Break isn't public domain, it's firmly in the grey area as it's been sampled to death with no lawsuits. If someone objects to hosting the file please PM me and I'll pull it down.

bmrzycki wrote:I meant legal reasons
Yeah, I get you.

[woops]

So far so good.

With these instructions and Howard's manual I was able to get up and running no problem.

Anyone else run into any issues?

Just want to emphasize that Zebrify is a genuine beast for audio processing.
If you haven't messed with it, you owe it to yourself to explore it's depths.
There's unexplored sonic possibilities buried in the thing, and that's truly exciting.

I like the 5 vote thing too.

Best regards,

Gino

Gino Cortesi wrote: With these instructions and Howard's manual I was able to get up and running no problem.
That's good to hear - I was a bit worried that the instructions might cause some confusion.
I like the 5 vote thing too.
Great! :tu:

Anyone else have any comments on the following:

1. Are the above instructions clear enough?

2. Upping the votes from 3 to 5 - good/bad?

3. Looking for suggestions for next month's contest - so if you have an idea this is the place to share it.

well, to me, the rules are pretty clear. and having the chance to vote for 5 patches is an interesting idea. this'll be usefull, especially if the contest have a lot of patches.

zebrify is so much fun to play with, this contest will be great !

Still looking for suggestions for the next contest theme...

(Any chance of a sticky Urs?)

hakey wrote:2. Upping the votes from 3 to 5 - good/bad?
I'd vote "bad". 3 is perfect.

Howard wrote:
hakey wrote:2. Upping the votes from 3 to 5 - good/bad?
3 is perfect.
If the goal of these contests was just about picking the 'best' patch, then 3 votes would be adequate (no such thing as perfection ;) ).

But isn't the purpose really more about getting people to have a go?

In cases where there's high participation, 5 votes would be unlikely to make a difference to the overall winner, but would hopefully mean fewer patches score 'nul points' (of which there were a fair few last time around), and so offer a little encouragement to some who would otherwise have had none.

Return to “u-he”