Why not always cut the 20-30 Hz range?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

you guys wanna hear me fart :P
Last edited by alixxila on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alixxila wrote:...SUB-WOOFER...
...in my studio, in my house, in my car, at the movies...etc...
...a lot of people have home theatre systems now with subs...

...just becuase the discotech doesnt have a sub-woofer that doesn't mean there aren't thousands (if not millions) of people who do...

there is no "set" rule...it is a case by case kind of thing....there are many variables,,,for instance,,,the type of music and/or instruments used,,,ex...i like to make a lot of "sub-bass" synth drones...around 30hz (+/- 10hz)...if i were to "cut" anything that low, there goes half my song,,,but when i record an acoustic guitar track, i really don't need much under say 80hz, so i'll roll it off...it's all relative to what you are doing...many other variables...maybe that helps... :wink:
thanks :), how far do subwoofers go down around 200-300 euros?

:drunk:
Last edited by alixxila on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DELETED

I know it's rather an old thread but since I want to know let me ask. :help:
megadeth wrote:You need to cut it properly yourself at mastering stage if you don't want it to be cut like a butcher by the CD player/lossy/streaming format crappy filters.
But you are not obliged to cut it higher than 20Hz ;)
megadeth wrote:I think not doing at least a 20Hz-20kHz cut is just bad mastering relying on random crappy filters...because they are not on your side and you don't really know what they will do.
If it's cut like a butcher at 20Hz by the CD player filter etc and you want to cut it properly yourself, then I'm guessing the EQ curve has to start somewhere around 30-40Hz. Am I correct? How about high cut? Where should the curve start in your opinion?
aciddose wrote:unfortunately it's semi-rare to find basic highpass filters in most eq tools. the best type of filter to use in my opinion is a simple 6db highpass at about 40hz.
When I use the HighPass 6db/oct option in MEqualizer and set the frequency at 40Hz, the curve starts at around 200Hz when it's not zoomed in at all, and 20kHz(!!) when it's zoomed in the most. Do you think there's something wrong with this EQ?

Also, I see 20-40(or more)Hz already cut in some EQ presets designed for tracks(bass, guitar, etc). Is this a mistake because the low/high cut should be done only at the mastering stage?

alixxila wrote:i cut a fart @ 50hz
So basically you're loosing that cinematic oomph! But for music production I would do that, too. :wink:

Caine123 wrote:ok noob question i guess ;), but i read a lot in tutorials, mixing and mastering mags, posts etc. that mostly you can use a HPF to cut the 20-30 Hz range. the monitors i checked so far can mostly go until 35 Hz. so why wouldnt you cut those frequencies always away?

this is meant serious if this sounds stupid, i just hope to learn why you keep em ;).
Maybe consider using a utility with DC offset when mastering to get rid of any final nasty s way down low.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Deleted...
Last edited by Fritze on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted...

One important thing to note is that if a speaker is rated down to say 40 Hz doesn't mean it cannot produce frequencies lower than that. It can.
It doesn't magically stop producing sound at a specific point. The frequency range should be qualified by a +-3 dB specification otherwise it doesn't really say anything. It only means it's relatively flat in that area.

I find that sounds that are found up in the higher freq I low cut them all but this is not always the case with ones that are found in the lower freq range. Sometimes low cutting a 808 kick/bass can change the sound to much so it's a case by case thing but generally speaking I will try to cut the super low freqs to help clean the mix up. Here is a quick video I made on mixing EDM.

[mod edit: link to video tutorial made using stolen software deleted]

I'd be glad if someone could answer my questions above. :roll: :?:

@OP:If you're still here, I'm curious to know how you've been dealing with this subject since your last post in March.

J'lien X wrote:I'd be glad if someone could answer my questions above. :roll: :?:

@OP:If you're still here, I'm curious to know how you've been dealing with this subject since your last post in March.
well i do one thing: if it sounds good it is good for me :)

ok i asked for feedbacks soome people and they told me my mixes got a lot better and so on. and im satisfied atm, as a hobbymusician i dont want to spend my whole time for that and test 10 eq's etc. i cut mostly at 20 hz cause you wont hear those normally! and on single instruments i also cut for example at hihats, cymbals, also pianos but only if it fits and i want the high freqs, so there is no rule at all but some standard rules for boxiness, muddiness and so on to remove to include whatever. it depends what you like!

as i said i cut the 20 hz mostly or normally always hehe cause i didnt hear it at all and until my music should get played on mainstream then i am sure another professional team will mix and master my stuff so i dont think about it much anymore now. it depends also what and how much time and money you wanna invest in your hobby and/or job?

thanks to KVR too i learned a lot!

I said this before and I will say it again, Don't bother with IIR highpass in mastering, use FIR filters. Don't low cut things that don't have energy there, it's not productive. If you need to low cut your bass drum, it's not because it's too rumbly, it's because it needs equalization.

Caine123 wrote:well i do one thing: if it sounds good it is good for me :)

thanks to KVR too i learned a lot!
Way to go!

Return to “Production Techniques”