Daughter Judy vs Mr Spacely

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Later That Night" began life as a bass solo, over a sketchy scaffolding of percussion. before that, tho, the groove of part 1 was extracted from a moment out of Horse Suits All the Way Down

Later That NIght

Last edited by jancivil on Sun May 19, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surely not a perverted Tango!

What is that bass? Doesn't sound like the Jaco. Sounds good though. I like the Sax? as well, and the percussion, and the guitar.......

Great stuff :)

the bass is, throughout, Scarbee Pre-bass and Iconic Bass: Jaco; in part 2 often doubling the same lines

thx, Seismic

the horns in pt 2 are tenor, soprano, bass trombone and trumpet. there is tenor in pt 1.

:love: :love:

The horns sound really good in that mix...the bass part is something to behold! Love it!

Which reminds me...need to do some horn practice.....
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

thank you.

the mix wasn't the easiest. there is a harp that was the basis for the groove in pt 1 and almost a rhythm guitar part in pt2, and the lead guitar, these horns, that harp and the original percussion combined made strange colors I had to weigh. the sources are of such variance in character and quality. the toy percussion from Kontakt 2 is essential.. it sounds so plastic and bright, it's a real contrast to the warm VSL pcs.

oh, there is a bit of bari and bass sax in pt 1.

simply amazing piece, really rich sonic colors abound, and then there's the change between arhythmic parts, those brief visits to the pocket at the start, and the off-kilter sparser grooves at the end.

That's cool,
I'm clicking my fingers very.
It all sorta slides in together 8D

Well arranged. Awesome piece!
I Love Music!

thank you, people.

some nice percussion programming there.
care to give us some tips on your timpani rolls? mine usually sound a little machine gun so i hire a pecussionist when i need em lol

I don't remember any timpani. there are for sure bass drum rolls in the last section. big giant ones.

VSL percussion provides a number of different kinds, lengths, dynamics, of rolls, assigned to keyswitches. you can timestretch them in the interface [VI Pro] to make them fit properly in time. gotta be the best timestretch engine in the world, there are no artifacts, 50 % plus or minus.

ah, so theyre prerecorded?
hmmm, think ill stick to the real thing, he costs less as well ha!

sure. I paid 940 dollars one time for about every known thing in an orchestra batterie, top quality instruments recorded at top quality, played by masters, and can use it all til I'm dead.

indeed, i wasnt really having a go at the price, was just kinda joking :shrug:
im lucky in that i have friends who play with a well known orch. so i generally get stuff i need done during rehearsals, its not like i need it often :)

Return to “Music Cafe”