VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

5 points: TAL-U-No-62
4 points: Rez3
3 points: Autogun
2 points: KX-Synth-X16
1 point: Plex

Autogun gets my top spot. Reason: It has like what 4 billion patches on board already. Making new patches is pretty hard as well unless you got Ogun. It's pretty much any synths in one if you understand my point. The quality may not be the best, but you got a lot of things going on in it. But most important of all: We've already had too much analog synths in this contest.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

5 points: Plex - very new way of sound programming, tons of possibilities
4 points: Kairatune - nice crispy sound and cool functions
3 points: Rez3 - has its own sound, monophonic is a challange for harmonies
2 points: HaHaHa - classic analog system
1 point: TAL-U-no - very simple, hard to make everything just with this one
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Hi,

Anyway I don't understand the finality of this topic because the plug-ins listed are very different but all are good.
The musicians choice them following that they need for theirs music styles.
That why that will be interesting for us if all explain their vote and why they don't like the others plug-ins in the list if they tried them.

*edit:
I read the rules, so if I understood after the votes the participants must do a track with only one synth. So the number and the diversity of the presets is important...

:D about the Kx-synth-x16:
The kx-synth-x16 is a multipurpose modular VA based on the VCS3 structure.
They are three versions: polyphonic (160 presets), monophonic (Less ram, low CPU, 128 presets) and Fx with audio inputs.

In fact if you really know the subtractive synthesis you can do what you want with it but if you are a newbie, please don't choose it or just use the monophonic version.

Have Fun

Xavier
Last edited by kx77free on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kx77free wrote:Hi,

Anyway I don't understand the finality of this topic because the plug-ins listed are very different but all are good.
The musicians choice them following that they need for theirs music styles.
That why that will be interesting for us if all explain their vote and why they don't like the others plug-ins in the list if they tried them.

Xavier
Hi Xavier, that's actually a great idea, to vote for your 5 "top" synths, and to talk about the rest too.
In case you are interested, i edited my vote post (previous page), so you can see why i didn't voted for the other 5 synths.

Don't worry, i like your synth. It's just another factor for this month.
But nothing in common with "i don't like this".

I'm not a based styled musician, i'm mostly a what-mood-today musician.
So although sometimes i do clubbin things, sometimes i just feel that i need to get a total ambient synth. And viceversa. So it's not about style (in my case) it's about mood.

Also, of course, you are free to vote, even if you are a developer and want to vote for your own synth, not bad in that in my opinion, you are another KVR member.

Have a good day and Merry Christmas Xavier :)

Hi,

Thanks IrionDaRonin.

But why not, perhaps I will vote.

********* out of this subject ***********

You know I don't like give my opinion about the work of the other free devs because it's too complex to communicate to the final users on KVR, so I give only good critics.
In fact, it's good when we have negative returns for ameliorate our plug-ins but as the users don't pay often they don't make efforts to really understand the context, specially to do serious reports of bugs.
About the CPU, I did a monophonic version and I suppose that the end users read my FAQ, the monophonic version has the same CPU use like the Rez v3.0 (4% up to 10%, average 6%, 18% for 6 notes with the poly version, on windows task manager) and I cannot run the IL Autogun on my old p4 (3ghz 1go Ra, xp sp3, 10ms) which I used for my CPU tests.

Xavier
Last edited by kx77free on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I can see how it would be interesting for a developer to see the reasons for voting, but for sure a lot of it is relevant to what was last time. So if we had a lot of synths with a certain architecture, style or sound, people would want a change even if there were other more interesting ones etc. This time we just had Charlatan, Sonigen and now Diva, so natural that some might want a different style synth now. But if it makes the top 4 it will anyway be put on again for the next vote.

But just to give you some feedback, your synth just sounds so good and has such a nice UI that it was put on despite it being old version Synthedit (as far as I know) which normally avoided as much as possible, one of the few that will occasionally only output to one channel on my system, and even after the longer thread recently where no sound was coming out for some. And it's picked from all the hundreds of synths so at least it shows you how highly regarded it is here.

Hi,

Sure, if I vote, I will not vote for me!
Just I'm curious when one of my plug-in is listed in a challenge.

*** out of the subject ****

Can you PM me your bug and if the plug-in output management could solve it?

About the recent SE engine bug of the V3 with Sonar I explained on KVR how to solve it with the management of the Left and Right outputs of the V4. I fact the multi-output vsti feature is rarely used, it's normal that some hosts are not 100% compatible and that why we need bug reports.
I fact if you add extra features like multi-ouput, audio inputs, midi out etc..., you could not be 100% compatible with all windows hosts.
Actually the bug output exists only with Sonar, I have got a similar bug with Zynewave but it has been solved.
Also, the bug with Reaper actually doesn't exist for me because I tested on two different configs on Xp and Seven 64 and all configs work fine, I have not got reports with similar bug with Reaper, I'm waiting because the user send me just that doesn't work and his config, so I would not disturb him with a lot of tests...
It's easy to debug with Reaper 32 or 64 but not with Sonar because I have not an unlimited version of Sonar and I will not pay a full version just to debug it.
Anyway my updates are free, I can do a DLL with only a stereo output if I receive other similar bug reports but I would not do a regression.

And I give my apologies to V'ger because it's not easy for KVR moderators to understand exactly my opinion.
Sure it is not easy for me because as I said upper on the topic, I can't really give my opinion about any plug-in, I respect alway the dev work, when I talk about my work that could be understood like an egocentric opinion :hihi:

edit:
This morning I installed the Sonar Trial on my old athlon xp 2000 with 512 mo of ram, and the v4.1 works fine, the older versions have the output bug but not the v4.1...

Xavier

Thanks but works for me mostly, just occasionally will output only right channel.

Hi V'ger,

I will vote the next days.

Do you use the 4.1 ? and what is your host?

In fact the Sonar beta-tester has used a wrong version that why I thought the Sonar bug was not solved. He confirmed me that the v4.1 works fine with Sonar.

We could talk about your bug on the Kx-synth-x16 v4.1 topic because here it is not the good topic

Xavier

No please vote for your synth too as it's not like song voting where you can't vote for yourself because of prizes etc. Here it would if anything mean more work (support questions etc).. 8)

No I was using the 4.0 version, the new 4.1 seems to have cured the problem, cheers. :)

hi,

Ouf! I don't like bugs because I prefer spend my time to make music or to work on my dsp code :D

Hi,

My test results about the plug-ins:

I used my old config on XP sp3 32bits with a very stable aureon terratec asio driver on a P4 3 ghz (mono processor) with 1 go of ram and an old Cubase SE 1.04.
I read the CPU used on the windows task manager, generally this Cubase is overloaded when the CPU use is over 50%.

CPU = 2% when all plug-ins are off

Autogun (poly, 15% to 22%), the prg change can overload the CPU!
Too many fx, sounds very metallic, it's a simple sample player for lazy sound designers who want an infinite number of presets...

Tunefish (poly, very low cpu, 5% for 6 notes and more), good percu sounds, good digital fx, 56 presets.

Subduer (poly, low cpu 6% for 6 voices), good classic VA plug-in, percu presets, -+100 presets.

Rez v3.0 (monophonic, 8%), only 16 presets, easy to use and good VA.

Plex2 (very low cpu 4% for 6 notes and more) interesting way to work the sound, PCM synthesis, good digital sounding like PPG.

Kairatune (monophonic 12%), 79 presets, good synthesizer to do electro music.

K700nu (monophonic 15%), another good synthesizer for electro music but more multipurpose with a lot FX, 128 presets.

CS33 (poly, 10% for 6 voices), good multipurpose VA, 65 presets.

Tal uno (poly, 14% for 6 voices, 5% for one voice), very good VA and easy to use, only 20 presets.

Kx-synth-x16, (monophonic 8% or polyphonic, 18% for 6 notes), Fx with audio inputs. A Modular VA based on the VCS3 and more, 160 presets.

My vote is:

Plex : because we must learn
CS33 : it's a good multipurpose VA
Kairatune : because is good
K700nu : because the result could be different than Kairatune
TAL-U-no : because is good but with only few parameters and without noise source...

Xavier
Last edited by kx77free on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

5. Tunefish v3
4. Plex 2
3. Subduer
2. Hahaha CS33
1. Tal U-No.

kx77free wrote: Tal uno (poly, 14% for 6 voices, 5% for one voice), very good VA and easy to use, no noise source and only 20 presets.

it has noise

Return to “Instruments”