Waldorf PPG v3 opinions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PPG Wave 3.V

I know opinions are like,.....well, you know...

But I'm curious as to the general feelings of people toward this synth. I have the Waldorf Edition (albeit in a Lion induced non functional state), and I found the PPG v2 to be kinds meh.

I'm curious how the v3 fairs, not nessessarily at trying to emulate a real PPG, just whether it's a nice sounding quality synth or not before I considering upgrading to it.

Thanks for any and all opinions !!!
All states of mind create themselves!

Ruddy wrote:I know opinions are like,.....well, you know...

But I'm curious as to the general feelings of people toward this synth. I have the Waldorf Edition (albeit in a Lion induced non functional state), and I found the PPG v2 to be kinds meh.

I'm curious how the v3 fairs, not nessessarily at trying to emulate a real PPG, just whether it's a nice sounding quality synth or not before I considering upgrading to it.

I had the PPG 3.V but now sold again. Why? A PPG emulation without a fully functioning Waveterm emulation is nothing.
I had long hoped for an update but there was nothing and will probably get nothing more. Very disapointing.
But it will soon be a "Ingo" report here.

I had V2 on my old laptop and liked it - I demoed V3 on it and was stunned by the massive jump in CPU load between the two versions. Now I've upgraded my laptop, I would consider upgrading to V3 but only if Waldorf add the full Waveterm functionality in a future update.

I've owned quite a bit of Waldorf hardware over the years and loved them, but I've been less pleased with their software.

Largo is buggy as hell on Mac, it has crashed many projects on me before I stopped using it. Plus I just hate Syncro (unless umployed the way Rob Papen did, ie multiple Soft License), so I'm hesitant there too. I hear rumors of updates, they really be focusing on fixing Largo IMO as its just an insult to leave it like it is for so long. I feel kinda cheated by them on that front and feel conflicting emotions towards them as I do love the hardware I've owned, always without a single functional issue.
So I want to like the PPG3, but I'm not so sure.

Ruddy wrote:I hear rumors of updates, they really be focusing on fixing Largo IMO as its just an insult to leave it like it is for so long.
Where did you get such rumours?

I wish the change the LFO amount behaviour. For now LFO amaount starts to work from the half way. It still works on smaller amounts, but so damn subtle.
Last edited by Igro on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruddy wrote:I've owned quite a bit of Waldorf hardware over the years and loved them, but I've been less pleased with their software.

Largo is buggy as hell on Mac, it has crashed many projects on me before I stopped using it. Plus I just hate Syncro (unless umployed the way Rob Papen did, ie multiple Soft License), so I'm hesitant there too. I hear rumors of updates, they really be focusing on fixing Largo IMO as its just an insult to leave it like it is for so long. I feel kinda cheated by them on that front and feel conflicting emotions towards them as I do love the hardware I've owned, always without a single functional issue.
If you want to buy 3.V I can give it to you for € 100. The License is on a USB stick.

Ruddy wrote:albeit in a Lion induced non functional state
I have Waldorf Edition working on Lion. As usual with Lion, it was just a problem of write privileges. Set the permissions for "everyone" on /Library/Preferences to "read/write", run the installer again, and it should work. Once it's working, you can set the permissions back to "read only". :)

Ruddy wrote:I know opinions are like,.....well, you know...

Hi,

i was part of the beta testing and factory sounds team and also released a commercial bank (see my signature) so IMO the PPG Wave 3.V is a great synth and a lot of work was invested to make the plugin sound as close to a real PPG Wave 2 like possible. Als othe envelopes where changed to behave like in the real thing. At this years Musikmesse i had the opportunity to play a real PPG Wave 2.2 and IMO the difference is not really big.
Like Piet already mentioned the PPG Wave 3.V does not contain a wavetable editor (so far) but it could import samples and it does contain the full original Waveterm sample library (as .WTB image files). The PPg 3.V also contain many more wavetables than the original 2.V and all of those were created by Wolfgang Palm (the PPg founder and mastermind) himself who also contributed a bunch factory sounds.

You could check the Evaluation version (fully working for a limited time) here:
http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/ppg-3-evaluation.html
This license could be used either as an soft eLicenser on your HD drive or with an USB dongle (eLicenser).

The download of the latest version v1.02 is available here:
http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/version-102.html

Th full version could be purchased at the Online Shop . An upgrade from the Waldorf Edition is available too:
http://www.waldorfmusic-shop.de/epages/ ... D=18661114

The thread of my own bank is here with a download of 10 free presets (+ 7 samples):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344042

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

declassified wrote:
I have Waldorf Edition working on Lion. As usual with Lion, it was just a problem of write privileges. Set the permissions for "everyone" on /Library/Preferences to "read/write", run the installer again, and it should work. Once it's working, you can set the permissions back to "read only". :)
There was a beta testing for a new 64-bit version of the Waldorf Edition (both PC + MAC) not long ago and the update should be available soon. You could also contact Waldorf support for receiving the update. You need a serial number for the new version and if you still got the old CD version you have to ask for a serial number at Waldorf support:
support@waldorfmusic.de

BTW Waldorf is currently working on both the Pulse 2 analog synth and an iPad synth so there is only few time for the developers (usually Stefan Stenzel and Wolfram Franke) for doing updates currently.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Having developed the Ambiodrone soundbank for the PPG V synths, I would view the 2.V and 3.V as different synths rather than the 3.V as a replacement to the 2.V.

The 2.V is a bit more wooly tonally and texturally which I like. The envelopes are longer, deeper and take more time to evolve/move through the stages and also prefer the filter tone, behavior and wave tracking behavior. The cpu usage is considerably lower as well.

The 3.V does offer many features the 2.V doesn't though. 2.2, 2.3 and 2.V osc modes, addition of a 12db 2 pole filter, effects section such as reverb, chorus, phaser, delay and EQ, filter drive, tube emulation, improved interface design and sound browser. Plus the 3.V offers the ability to load your own samples, has more built-in wavetables and includes the Waveterm sample library.

Also, you have the ability to fine tune the various parameters positively and negatively which you can not do in the 2.V. This is huge in terms of sonic and characteristic possibilities.

If looking at the PPG Vs as 2 separate synths, they each have there own merits. The filter, envelopes and wave key tracking behave differently between the 2 and are somewhat tonally and architecturally different synths.

That said, I would like to see the 2.V either truly emulated or ideally, the actually codebase carried over to the 3.V so it can be switched between 3.V or true 2.V operation. At very least, improvements and more accurate 2.V program importing.

As an upgrade to the 2.V, inclusion of the additional wavetables found in the 3.V would be an excellent future upgrade as well.
Last edited by RandomWave on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Igro wrote:
Ruddy wrote:I hear rumors of updates, they really be focusing on fixing Largo IMO as its just an insult to leave it like it is for so long.
Where did you get such rumours?

I wish the change the LFO amount behaviour. For now LFO amaount starts to work form the half way. It still works on smaller amounts, but so damn subtle.

I heard the rumour on here, not specifically Largo atm, but their other plugs, assuming Largo will follow

PietW. wrote:
Ruddy wrote:I've owned quite a bit of Waldorf hardware over the years and loved them, but I've been less pleased with their software.

If you want to buy 3.V I can give it to you for € 100. The License is on a USB stick.
Thnaks mate, but it costs the same to buy an upgrade license from Waldorf themselves

declassified wrote:
Excellent, thanks for the info, did not realise that

And thanks to all the others for their opinions on the synth.

Anyone know if buying the upgrade license allows me to keep both? Assuming it does, just double checking you know.

Ingonator wrote:
declassified wrote:
There was a beta testing for a new 64-bit version of the Waldorf Edition (both PC + MAC) not long ago and the update should be available soon. You could also contact Waldorf support for receiving the update. You need a serial number for the new version and if you still got the old CD version you have to ask for a serial number at Waldorf support:
support@waldorfmusic.de

BTW Waldorf is currently working on both the Pulse 2 analog synth and an iPad synth so there is only few time for the developers (usually Stefan Stenzel and Wolfram Franke) for doing updates currently.

Ingo

This is where i have a problem with them, if we were talking about just a 64bit upgrade i could get on board that they are busy with other stuff, but the fact is that it doesn't play well on Mac. Ive tried on both my music machines and its the same on both. Others on here have similar complaints. You can't release a damaged product and then not fix it for the length of time this has happened with Largo. My view of them has been seriously altered by this experience. When was the 1.51 update released? A long time ago. Fact is i can't use it as it crashed projects, again, on both my mac pro and mbp. I don't consider the 'busy on other stuff' argument as an acceptable reason in these circumstances personally.

Return to “Instruments”