Diva 1.1 Bug Collection

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
cheppner
KVRist
Topic Starter
172 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Post Mon May 21, 2012 4:17 am

Hi All,

thanks for your feedback to Diva and version 1.1 in particular. In order to prepare for the next release, we would like to collect all known bugs and issues in this thread.

We decided to split bugs into two categories: 1) Bugs that we can reproduce and 2) Bugs that we can't reproduce and that we can't explain.

So if you can reproduce a bug that we can't please help us by telling us how :-). I will try to keep the list in this posting up-to-date:

Known Reproducible Bugs

- Changing between presets with different output-volume can produce loud clicks
- Pulse widths other than 50% can 'pop' on attacks
- When unloading one instance of Diva, other instances or newly opened ones could crash

Known Unreproducible Bugs

keep it coming :-)

Cheers,
- Clemens
Last edited by cheppner on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
mystran
KVRAF
7053 posts since 12 Feb, 2006 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Mon May 21, 2012 6:34 am

Did you notice my report about MIDI note-off messages being dropped in FL when using variable block-size. Mostly happens when sending fast arpeggios (eg send a 16th note pattern at 140 BPM and it'll drop several per bar). Not dependent on multi-threading. Happens in both monophonic and polyphonic modes. Forcing FL to use fixed block-size eliminates the issues. Used to work in betas at least.
Preferred pronouns would be "it/it" because according to this country, I'm a piece of human trash.

cheppner
KVRist
Topic Starter
172 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Post Mon May 21, 2012 7:11 am

mystran wrote:Did you notice my report about MIDI note-off messages being dropped in FL when using variable block-size. Mostly happens when sending fast arpeggios (eg send a 16th note pattern at 140 BPM and it'll drop several per bar). Not dependent on multi-threading. Happens in both monophonic and polyphonic modes. Forcing FL to use fixed block-size eliminates the issues. Used to work in betas at least.
Ah, right. I'll add this as a bug - can you provide us with an FL project file so we have a test case?

Another issue with FL is, that without fixed buffers it tends to crackle. That seems to be a performance problem rather than a real bug - FL just calls our render function very often which causes some overhead compared to other DAWs. I think it was automation which really hurt the CPU...

Cheers and thanks!
- Clemens

3ee
KVRAF
3822 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Post Mon May 21, 2012 7:43 am

Known reproducible bug: Phaser module "sync" rate knob.

This one has been reported since the early betas but has been overlooked or .. simply forgotten.

The rate knob seems to work fine when it's not synced.
Once synced, the range seems "compressed" to the minimum of the knob rather than spread across the whole range of it.

Maybe it would be a bit hard to fix it now because of the compatibility issues...

cheppner
KVRist
Topic Starter
172 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Post Mon May 21, 2012 8:27 am

3ee wrote:Known reproducible bug: Phaser module "sync" rate knob.

This one has been reported since the early betas but has been overlooked or .. simply forgotten.

The rate knob seems to work fine when it's not synced.
Once synced, the range seems "compressed" to the minimum of the knob rather than spread across the whole range of it.

Maybe it would be a bit hard to fix it now because of the compatibility issues...
I'll add this one as a "inconvenience" to our internal feature list. The "synced" rate sets the quarters that it needs for one full sweep of the phaser to complete. The interesting part of that does indeed lie between 0.01 and 4.0 such that 4.0 - 100.0 takes way too much of the knob rotation range...

Probably this won't make it into the next release but maybe we'll add a different sync mode at some point which would allow to sync to something else than quarters. Maybe log-quarters or something (1/16, 1/4, 1/1, 4/1, ...).

olikana
KVRian
867 posts since 26 Jul, 2009

Post Mon May 21, 2012 6:37 pm

not bug but inconvenience:
white noise (and possibly other noise sources) not scaling well at different resolutions.
i personally only use diva at 44.1k but whoever might use it at 96k or higher will lose much volume from it.

KBSoundSmith
KVRian
896 posts since 6 Jul, 2009

Post Mon May 21, 2012 7:52 pm

In Ableton Live 8.2.2, there are audio dropouts, clicks, and CPU spikes when switching pages (mod, trimmers, etc) while multi-thread is enabled.

This doesn't seem to happen in Cubase 5.5.3 so far.

User avatar
mcnoone
Banned
6139 posts since 9 Oct, 2007 from an inharmonious society

Post Mon May 21, 2012 8:54 pm

KBSoundSmith wrote:In Ableton Live 8.2.2, there are audio dropouts, clicks, and CPU spikes when switching pages (mod, trimmers, etc) while multi-thread is enabled.
This doesn't seem to happen in Cubase 5.5.3 so far.
Make sure your multi-core setting in Live is not turned off.
You might want to upddate (there is a smaller app only dl) to Live 8.2.7
That's the last update before 3.0 and maybe see if it fixes the problem.
I might be updating to 3x very soon though.

User avatar
mcnoone
Banned
6139 posts since 9 Oct, 2007 from an inharmonious society

Post Mon May 21, 2012 8:59 pm

I get occasional random daw crashes only when quitting out of the program, but oddly not when closing the project. This only happens occasionally, and only after using Diva, as the only plugin.
I have 3 crash reports I can send as soon as I can.
Again it happened only a few times, since the latest rev.
It did not happen before that at all.
I also did not use multi-threading, during any of the crashes.
I did maintenance cache cleaning, and typical permissions repair as well.

cheppner
KVRist
Topic Starter
172 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Post Tue May 22, 2012 12:18 am

mcnoone wrote:I get occasional random daw crashes only when quitting out of the program, but oddly not when closing the project. This only happens occasionally, and only after using Diva, as the only plugin.
I have 3 crash reports I can send as soon as I can.
Yay, just send them to support at u-he com :)

KBSoundSmith
KVRian
896 posts since 6 Jul, 2009

Post Tue May 22, 2012 6:10 pm

mcnoone wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:In Ableton Live 8.2.2, there are audio dropouts, clicks, and CPU spikes when switching pages (mod, trimmers, etc) while multi-thread is enabled.
This doesn't seem to happen in Cubase 5.5.3 so far.
Make sure your multi-core setting in Live is not turned off.
You might want to upddate (there is a smaller app only dl) to Live 8.2.7
That's the last update before 3.0 and maybe see if it fixes the problem.
I might be updating to 3x very soon though.
Just double checked, and I do have multi-core enabled in Live. But I will try updating Live, then check again.

silhouette
KVRer
22 posts since 27 Feb, 2004 from Norfolk UK

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:17 am

Hi
I am getting a strange issue with Cubase 6.5 64 Bit.
Often on first selecting Diva as a VST instrument there is no sound. If I delete from the VST rack and then reselect Diva, cancel the create new track then insert into the track I have previously loaded Diva then has sound.
However, if I load a new VST track Diva has no sound.
If I save a project close down, then re-open Diva has no sound. I have to remember the preset and reload Diva and reinsert into the track.

It is making Diva a bit difficult to use until I get to the bottom of what is happening. I love Diva and want to make maximum use of this ground breaking synth.
Thanks

benj3737
KVRist
69 posts since 24 Dec, 2008

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Sometimes the multi-thread button doesn't show up for me

I reinstalled the latest version of diva, but it's no help.

I haven't been able to accurately reproduce it, but it happens alot.

Macbook Pro 10.7.4
Ableton 8.3

I'd be happy to send screenshots or logs if that would help

benj3737
KVRist
69 posts since 24 Dec, 2008

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:58 pm

When I change the size of diva (or Zebra) and then close and open the plug, the plugin window is the same size as the 'normal' size but the plugin is still zoomed to how I set it, which means there's either extra white space or it's cut off.

Macbook Pro 10.7.4
Ableton 8.3

I'd be happy to send screenshots or logs if that would help

benj3737
KVRist
69 posts since 24 Dec, 2008

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Just spent a couple hours organizing patches only to find that preset drag and drop doesn't work. Lame
Macbook Pro 10.7.4
Ableton 8.3

Return to “u-he”