Lemur Templates 4 iPad - plugin midi handling

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am working to build Lemur iPad templates for my u-he plugins and I just started with ACE. In my setup I run Studio One V2.06 - 64 bit, MAC 10.8, Audio Unit. Cross checks to be done with Garage Band 6.05.

Here are some observations/questions I came across. They might be relevant for other plugins as well.

1) Not all parameter offer midi learn per se right now, like f. e. the VCO reset parameter. Is that going to change with the forthcoming changes in MIDI handling?

2) Most parameter allow Midi learn, BUT ...

Garage Band accepts Midi learn as you'd expect. Right click, select Midi learn, turn controller, you are done.

With Studio One I generally cannot midi learn any controller with this method. From a research in StudioOne forums I have the impression that this is related to the fact that I am using audio unit instead of VST? Latter not being an option for me since I have to operate everything 64 bit. I'd be happy if I am wrong here. Not knowing whether VST(3-64) could be a solution sometimes in the future ;)

3) I can, however, link any controller to any parameter that is recognized in Studio One's "Control Link" function. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case for all parameter, like f.e. FineTuneType2. Hence no chance to midi learn/control link it at all? It seems not all (Midi learn enabled) parameter are visible to Control Link. My limited technical "understanding" is that the AU does not "tell" Control Link about FineTuneType2? Again my question: Is that likely to change with the forthcoming changes in MIDI handling?

4) There is a MAJOR advantage with Studio One's Control Link function. It recognizes inputs as relevant parameters. With this you can make connections remotely using Lemur's Menu item. Cool :D I haven't been able to make the same connection with Garage Band since it does not allow midi learn for inputs? Any plans here? It would make any template cross compatible between Studio One and standard Midi learn DAWs.

Any confirmation/correction/advise would be highly appreciated. I only try to understand whether there are "limitations" that might or might not change in the near future OR whether I am making things wrong (not really unlikely :))

Return to “u-he”