kjaerhus classic reverb vs mverb

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
K82
KVRist
150 posts since 10 Mar, 2009

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:59 am

i have trouble deciding which one is a better allround , which would you choose and why ?

KVRAF
3922 posts since 15 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Does it have to be one of those? Surely Epicverb and Ambience sound better and have bigger range?

If it's to get a low CPU, try the excellent Freeverb3 and set the oversampling down to x1 on for example STRev. (make sure you get the right SSE version for your processor, use the "check_cpu" utility to find out)

If the choice has to be between Classic Reverb and Mverb I would choose Classic as it can also do more 'dirt' which is good on snare etc, Mverb might be too clean maybe.

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:03 pm

i like neither in the OP.. i have to be honest, i always maintained from the first day that classic verb was the weakest thing kjaerhus ever did and i still stand by that.. it's just not a good reverb in any context, outclassed by most other freeware. Epic verb any day over it, ambience is old but ok too, very hungry on the processor, freeverb is "somewhat usable" but still better htan kjaerhus, if mverb is the one i am thinking of and has a mac version, i tried it and really didn't like it, is that the dark skin one rack space 5 knob one? does that sound right?

OK just checked, yes that's the one, it was tragic.. by the way neither are officially available any more anyway lol.

KVRian
909 posts since 26 Nov, 2005

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:26 pm

To answer the original question, I prefer MVerb over Classic Reverb.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

KVRAF
1580 posts since 22 Apr, 2011 from The House of Zaid

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:45 pm

dont forget Poor Plate by Vacuumsound, when you just need to dial up a PLATE REVERB for free
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

KVRAF
2063 posts since 20 Dec, 2002 from The Benighted States of Trumpistan

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:12 pm

+1 to Poor Plate. Or MVerb. Or TAL Reverb. Or Tila. Never could get a non-muddy tone out of EpicVerb, but at least it isn't the metallic horror which is FreeVerb. For subtle polishing I use DX Reverb or GlaceVerb on almost subliminal settings an awful lot. SIR with a good impulse cna be a thing of beauty. Or Nebula kernels if you have the cycles to burn. Ambience is awfully bright, but really great. OmniVerb is worth a try. Still, I've been saving my pennies for ValhallaRoom.
Joy and kindness are acts of resistance -- fight the power!

KVRist
101 posts since 17 Jun, 2008 from Michigan

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:50 am

I'm with V'Ger! I love Classic Verb's almost-lo-fi-so-bad-it's-good-ness. Plus the Kjaerhus classic plugins were my entry drug into the world of VST freeware downloading addiction, so I suppose I'll always have an illogical fondness for Classic Verb. Actually it's found quite a permanent niche in my projects over the last year or so, occupying a slot behind FreeAmp3 into which I generally enjoy feeding crappy soundfont drums. And if I really want to grunge it up, I put Classic Verb in front of FA3! Then I bang out a messy kick+snare pattern and have fun torturing synths and such over it until my ears bleed, and once in awhile something sort of like music comes out of the process too.

Anyway, nuts to "better," that's what I say. Give them both an obscure, unique job in your productions and then you'll have something fun to talk about to the youngin's three and four decades on when you're imparting your secret knowledge and wizardry to future generations of noise makers!

KVRAF
2152 posts since 10 Jan, 2005

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:56 am

What about FreeVerbToo and Voxengo OldSkoolVerb? How do them compare to the ones mentioned in the OP (sorry for the partial hijack)?

Thanks,
Mario

Banned

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:05 am

Jafo wrote:+1 to Poor Plate. Or MVerb. Or TAL Reverb. Or Tila. Never could get a non-muddy tone out of EpicVerb, but at least it isn't the metallic horror which is FreeVerb. For subtle polishing I use DX Reverb or GlaceVerb on almost subliminal settings an awful lot. SIR with a good impulse cna be a thing of beauty. Or Nebula kernels if you have the cycles to burn. Ambience is awfully bright, but really great. OmniVerb is worth a try. Still, I've been saving my pennies for ValhallaRoom.
I guess we are all so different with verbs.

I wouldn't touch any of the tal stuff, they are SO bad, reverb wise.

Poor plate is just average but passable, tila i don't know never heard of it.

Never thought epic was great like people raved on, but when on bootcamp i tested it and found it better than the others listed here.

I think reverb is one of those things you simply have to spend $$$ on, i just don't know of any competitive truly good free reverb.

Banned

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:05 am

oh oops! mabian, voxengo kind of eliminates my last post, as that is actually a fairly DECENT freebie for sure.. quite nice actually! yes, that blows away anything else discussed here so far.

KVRist
128 posts since 15 Aug, 2012 from Western Australia

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 pm

For sound, I like KarmaFX Reverb. I haven't done a straight test against Ambience.

I actually prefer a convolution reverb though. Like SIR?

Banned

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 pm

oh, karma fx reverb is just awful :shrug:

great SYNTH though.

KVRist
128 posts since 15 Aug, 2012 from Western Australia

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Yeah, the synth / modular environment rules, and the reverb in that is even better.

I disagree about the reverb plugin, though. I tested it against Ambience on a snare, and it sounded better to me. A bit more punch and presence. You could always run it through an EQ. Remember it offers a range of algorithms.

DuX
KVRAF
3804 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Underworld

Post Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:33 am

I would agree with TheoM on KarmaFX reverb that it is rather awful, but with Ninja_Edit also. It is a strangely usable one and I find it rather interesting as a sound shaping tool. Just recently I've been trying to make some heavy industrial drums and gave KarmaFX reverb a whirl just as some kind of a "shot in the dark"... I couldn't believe how powerful the drums sounded through it. :D I was like :shock:. I also used some compression, EQ, and saturation, of course, to make them sound more decent. :D Peculiar reverb. I wouldn't use it on the send, though, just as an insert FX when I need "that sound", and I prefer it in mono.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Banned

Post Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:00 am

anyway i am using old school verb alot since it's latest update. And it's 32/64 and both VST/AU and both mac/win.

IMO it's by far the finest freeware verb currently in existence, and good enough that i choose it over others sometimes. Superb.

Return to “Effects”