Midi Triggers

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, new member here. I have been using Cantabile with some success but I am having a problem implementing "midi triggers" in precisely timed or sequenced way. For example, I have an audio backing track playing and at a certain time I want to send a midi message out, such as a program or control change. Another example would be to have tempo sent to other devices in order to sync them with Cantabile. Is this possible?

Well, the obvious is to create the audio track and MIDI file in your DAW so that they are synchronous. Render from the same start point and import both into cantabile.
They will be perfectly in sync unless there is an error in your setup.
Set the midi file as the master. Set the audio file to sync'd.
They will both start/stop from the space bar.
As the midi file is the master, whatever the embedded tempo will be the tempo cantabile runs at.
You can issue midi clocks from cantabile to outboard hardware.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have been using Sonar to set up my audio files and and then just setting the metronome within Cantabile to the right tempo and everything has worked fine. What I want to do is have Cantabile issue program and control changes that are synced to the music. For example to turn an echo on or off, select a different guitar or keyboard preset, even control lights. So, just as you have suggested, I went back to Sonar to create a midi file that consists of the particular midi controls I need. I have successfully created a midi file that will set my tempo, and issue program and control changes. Tomorrow I should have time to import the midi file to Cantabile - hopefully it will work just as it does from Sonar.

I will be able to hit one button to select a song from a set, another to play it, and I will have a click track in the in-ears, backing tracks, and all of my midi changes perfectly synchronized.

I am liking Cantabile more and more!

Well, Cantabile is no DAW.

However do I understand right that what you finally want is combining a backing and your live performance while the backing controls some aspects of your live performance?

If yes you might face some more subtle "problems"... if you play a sound that is changed by a program change of your backing midi you will most likely experience interesting transition effects - depending on the plugins involved... :roll:
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

Well I'm sure he'll test it in sonar before he exports.

Let me explain a little more. I am a guitarist and band leader. I first started using Cantabile as simply a metronome for our in-ears and to play backing tracks when needed. I am able to simply hit a pedal on a midi foot pedal and select a song from a set list and then play it; quick, easy, and consistent with no glitches - and my hands are free.

But I am also looking to automate an entire show or production. For example, on guitar there are different settings that are normally controlled by a midi foot pedal. I want to have Cantabile make thess assorted control and program changes at the specific time, further freeing me to perform. This control can extend to every midi controlled device used; including lights.

While Cantabile will not allow you to create such a midi control sequences with in Cantabile itself, it will play properly time midi files created within a DAW. I am using Sonar and have created and tested such a midi file. It is simply left to import the files into Cantabile and press play with my midi foot switch. Lights and effects of different types are now controlled automatically and precisely at the right time within each song. Lighting can be used for effect during and in between songs. (Although we first need to upgrade our light control apparatus.)

This may be quite simple and old hat for some on this forum but it is totally new stuff for me. I see Cantabile as a total automated control package for music performance production; KILLER!

I am not actually using Cantabile for running VST's at this time. By the way, industrial automation is/was my primary vocation.

Is this a typical application for Cantabile?

If it reads midi, Cantabile should be able to supply it.
I would imagine that users are finding all kinds of different applications for this software.
The software doesn't place limitations on the hardware you want it to address.
What you're doing seems like a simple task for Cantabile with little CPU load at all.

I think you'll find that once the MIDI files are in there it will run as expected.
You can have several midi files and audio files active within each subsession - just enable the tick box to each media file's left.

That means an entire set's worth of files can be handled easily.
There are even ways to sequence the sub-sessions so that as one stops, the next one activates.

I am amazed what uses Cantabile can cover - guess I never thought of something like that, maybe because I'm a keys guy. I've tried playing stringed instruments but its not my world... :oops:

Controlling light is an interesting aspect. I know there is DMX for light control (and the latest LED stuff seems to be awesome even for semi pros) but how does midi transfer to this?
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

My cursory investigation seems to indicate that midi control of lights is possible. Further investigation is certainly needed. I'm really just thinking out loud here.

Yes, the cpu load is virtually nothing. There are no vst's running in my application. If I were to run vst's or soft synths, (and I may) I would use another computer specifically for that. I could still send that computer midi messages that could call up sub sessions just like any other midi control would.

Return to “Topten Software”