Using MuLab VST Rack only --- with MaxMSP

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been using a custom MaxMPS system (on OS X) to run my live keyboard rig for tours. I have run into a problem with Max 6 where (after reloading a VST a few times), Max will crash, due apparently to a problem with JUCE.

Therefore, I'm looking at alternative approaches to host my VSTs and just bought MuLab 5 UL to experiment with this approach.

Two requests and a question

Request 1: I'd love a view that shows ONLY the VST racks, no tracks, no keyboard, no browser, etc. Would that be possible? I'd like to be able to just place the VST rack at the bottom of my screen such that clicking on a VST doesn't cause the rest of MuLab to come to the front and cover my MaxMSP system.

Request 2: Is there any way I could send a command (e.g. a MIDI program change, a script message) into Mulab so that I could automate the loading of a new preset and/or an entire session) so that I can have a different setup when I change from one song to another?

Question: I haven't yet figured out whether I'm happy to just use MuLab's audio outputs directly or whether I want to reroute them (via Soundflower?) back into Max. Anyone know about the reliability of SoundFlower these days?

Thanks,
D
David Jameson

1) Click in some empty rack space and select "Toggle Docked/Windowed". This will give you a seperate window for the racks. You can now resize the main window.
Save it as Template if you want to re-use the setting.

2) Check in Mulab's Shortcut setup list and look for the Generic/Select ... entries.
There are Next Preset, Next Composition and others. You might find something that suits your needs.
Note, to setup a shortcut you can not only use keyboard keys but midi notes ot even midi CC as well!
Note as well that these Selects rely on the current focus. E.g. a Next Preset will only work if a Mulab Preset is in focus/selected.

Good luck!

Thank you --- certainly nice to be able to separate the Rack Desk out. However (a nit), you still have to leave a wide window for the main window otherwise you can't get at that "Session" button to save the template.

Not quite sure what you mean about selects relying on the current focus --- in general, the app itself would not be selected since Max would have the focus.

How do you set up a shortcut to be triggered by a MIDI note or CC? Such options don't seem to show up in that Shortcut section.
(NB - if the answer to this is in the documentation, no need to response, I've already created a PDF from your online help and hopefully I can find out there)
David Jameson

Instead of the seperate rack window you could just resize the main window. The racks stay unharmed.

If the focus is on Max, how can Mulab receive key strokes?
But then i mentioned Midi, which could work in this case.
To setup a midi event as shortcut, just send the required event instead of pressing the reqired key.

About the focus, Mulab has to have the focus on the item you want to change preset. Here most likely the correct MUX.
At least select the required MUX before you switch to Max.

AndreasD wrote:If the focus is on Max, how can Mulab receive key strokes?
But then i mentioned Midi, which could work in this case.
Note that MIDI shortcuts are also sent to the focused UI component, so the need for UI focus is the same as for key shortcuts.

Return to “MUTOOLS”