Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeven ... -2518.html

Steinberg - Pathetic as usual.

EUR 249 from v6 :roll:

(BTW I already have v.7 so I don't care that much but its sad nevertheless)

299 Euro from C5..I'm glad that C5 suits me fine for now and when the time comes to move on I'm sure someone will have Studio one for sale in the marketplace.
Sad, I've loved Cubase for over a decade but have finally realized, this is a hobby and I cannot justify spending that. Not for what I do.. :(

Well, C5 is a seriously powerful program. Initially I was tempted to get into VST3.5 and note expression with C6, but actually I work with a lot of single lines anyway. I can make the argument to myself to stick with C5 better than I can to get into what is that, ~400 dollars for a couple of bells and whistles and keeping up with the Joneses.

There are things what would help the workflow of people pretty different than me I know about. I am never an early adopter of new software anyway. This is way out of range for me all things considered.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluedad wrote:299 Euro from C5..I'm glad that C5 suits me fine for now and when the time comes to move on I'm sure someone will have Studio one for sale in the marketplace.
Sad, I've loved Cubase for over a decade but have finally realized, this is a hobby and I cannot justify spending that. Not for what I do.. :(
It is $250 USD in their own shop to upgrade from C5

Agree with you however.. which is why I went with the 'Artist' version over the full deal since upgrades costs half there... which is still expensive, really.

I said it before.. Cubase is a rich man's audio sequencer. :hihi:

I wonder how long it will be before the market no longer sustains such pricings.. If Logic and REAPER are any indications, hopefully not for much longer...

Just to put a little perspective on the topic, Cubase isn't even in the ballpark of the expensive DAWs. Try Saw Studio, where $1500 is a sweet $1k off the full price of $2500. And that's just for the DAW ... nothing bundled. And that is chump change compared to what you would pay for Pyramix. These are just a few examples. You guys always seem to get confused about the scale of economics supporting the commercial world vs. 1 guy doing it as a hobby. There is also a very large tweener (small pro/semi-pro) studio world now, that fits the Cubase price range very well.

Not that I wouldn't be happy if it was $100 bucks cheaper, I just don't see a problem with the current price.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

At the current price, I couldn't justify upgrading from 6.5. At the new price, even less reason to do so. Considering what new I'd like in Cubase is already in Logic, and I need a new computer anyway, well...

SJ_Digriz wrote:Just to put a little perspective on the topic, Cubase isn't even in the ballpark of the expensive DAWs. Try Saw Studio, where $1500 is a sweet $1k off the full price of $2500. And that's just for the DAW ... nothing bundled. And that is chump change compared to what you would pay for Pyramix. These are just a few examples. You guys always seem to get confused about the scale of economics supporting the commercial world vs. 1 guy doing it as a hobby. There is also a very large tweener (small pro/semi-pro) studio world now, that fits the Cubase price range very well.

Not that I wouldn't be happy if it was $100 bucks cheaper, I just don't see a problem with the current price.
No one claimed Cubase was the most expensive DAW out there.. just that it IS expensive (to keep updated).

Besides does SAW have large marketshare in the overall DAW market? I'm thinking Price and GUI probably keep most away..

But Steinberg have a 'flagship' DAW called Nuendo that costs quite a bit... likely more for the same folks looking at SAW Studio..

My point is that to even a project studio or small edit studio with steady customers, Cubase and Nuendo are dirt cheap. They are not expensive. They aren't even a blip on the budget sheet. I have a chair that costs more than Cubase full retail. Even a small studio can have many thousands of dollars just in headphones. Again, you are only looking at "expensive" from the 1 guy messing around perspective.

SAW Studio is significantly more than Nuendo once you get everything you need by the way. WAYYY more. And, basically that is my point. Price is set by target. Expensive is just a perspective from outside that target.

VitaminD wrote: I wonder how long it will be before the market no longer sustains such pricings.. If Logic and REAPER are any indications, hopefully not for much longer...
When comparing to Reaper, you have to keep in mind though, that the full Reaper license is 225 $ for people running a business with their music which is likely to be the case with people shelling out 599 $ for a Cubase license. Also Cubase comes with a lot of content, devices, additional engines, and what not, which quickly relativizes the difference in price again.

chk071 wrote:
VitaminD wrote: I wonder how long it will be before the market no longer sustains such pricings.. If Logic and REAPER are any indications, hopefully not for much longer...
When comparing to Reaper, you have to keep in mind though, that the full Reaper license is 225 $ for people running a business with their music which is likely to be the case with people shelling out 599 $ for a Cubase license. Also Cubase comes with a lot of content, devices, additional engines, and what not, which quickly relativizes the difference in price again.
Plus then you'd have to use Reaper < shudder >

I get your point, I just don't agree.

The market is and has been for some time trending towards '1 guy' studios.

The 'corporate' recording studio is not nearly as prevalent as it used to be..

Well we aren't in a world that sees many people spending 6 figures on a console alone.. much less an entire studio.. the money now appears to be in volume for small production houses and lone producers.. of which there are a shed load..

Now we have a lot of 'bedroom' studios.. coupled with the price of synth and effects software dropping and increased competition in the DAW market, prices have to lower to stay competitive... and relative.

HOLY SH*T!

Glad that I jumped from C6 to C7 for 199EUR, it's now 250EUR.

That means, the .5 update will be 100 quids! And the next major version will be another 150quids - getting to full blown 150EUR AGAIN!

Prices drastically rose since C5.
And considering how buggy the software is these days, it's a ripoff!

Money doesn't grow on trees, and the upgrade cycles are getting shorter as well.

Another nail in the Steinberg coffin - Studio One is really looking more and more interesting after all.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

chk071 wrote:
Good point on the reaper licenses.

However 225 is dirt cheap when you tack on the fact that it comes with 2 extra whole version upgrades included in the price... and you only need to buy the commercial license if making over 20k dollars. That likely squishes much of the small, hole in the wall studios.

Cubase is 500 with 0 whole version upgrades.

Cubase with 2 whole version updates (such as REAPER) would cost around 900 bare minimum. (this is not including x.5 point updates which are also paid for versions, but just jumping from v5 to v6 to v7 as example)

And the difference can't be made up in price due to bundled content.. esp since we don't know how many people even use the bundled content. Actually, I've see some posts lately asking for a REAPER-like version of Cubase.. that is, no content or extra devices..

Remember, .5 updates cost extra - unless they will change that back again and the upgrade cycles will be longer (according to crohe at Steinbeg, C8 will be a while - but I don't trust them, I'm sure it'll be out by End 2014). Then the price adjustments are okay.

Else - f*ck you Steinberg! Greedy people!
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

VitaminD wrote:I get your point, I just don't agree.
The market is and has been for some time trending towards '1 guy' studios.
No, there has been an additional market for 1 guy studios added to the mix. The other part of the industry is still there. There are now products that target this demo of people, but that doesn't mean there is a "trend" away from commercial customers.
The 'corporate' recording studio is not nearly as prevalent as it used to be..
That's odd, there are thousands more now than there were 15 to 20 years ago. THOUSANDS more. It's not the same industry, but the studios are there and thriving. And I'm not talking about $30 an hour bedroom studios. I'm talking million dollar, treated first class space.
Well we aren't in a world that sees many people spending 6 figures on a console alone.. much less an entire studio.. the money now appears to be in volume for small production houses and lone producers.. of which there are a shed load..
You have numbers somewhere showing the reduction of large console installations? From what I know the demand is greater now than ever. The waiting list for production consoles is long from what I've seen.
Now we have a lot of 'bedroom' studios.. coupled with the price of synth and effects software dropping and increased competition in the DAW market, prices have to lower to stay competitive... and relative.
See, I don't agree with this at all. I'll bet money that Steinberg and companies know pretty much exactly where that dollar amount is before they drive away the bottom end. Also, I worked for a company that purposefully priced that bottom end out of the product ON PURPOSE. They not only made a much better product margin, they also saved a tremendous amount in support costs. The idea that a company should position itself to support a million $20 customers is goofy. I'd much rather have 100,000 $200 customers. Seriously. Obviously, the other model can work too, it's just that expensive only applies if the $20 customer is really the target.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”