PLUGINS adding DEPTH/MOJO/ANALOG VIBE/ 3D-ness ? Best ones?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Ian Dowling
KVRist
32 posts since 30 Sep, 2013 from London

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:06 am

I think that we are living in an amazing moment of history where people are creating fantastic plugins which can come very close to analog pieces, to bring this sort of vibe, rich tones, punch, energy, depth and sensation of space to ITB mix, and elements of the ITB mix and masters....which 5 years ago were not possible.

Some of the ones which impressed me are the U-He Satin, Waves NLS, UAD Roland Space Echo, Equality, CLA 76, THE GLUE, RELAB LX-480.

Which other plugins(any types of processor) have you experienced which can REALLY bring this sense of analog space(3D), vibe, depth and life to mixes?

musikmachine
KVRAF
8620 posts since 2 Oct, 2006 from Leeds, UK

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:14 am

Klanghelm DC8C, best bus compressor i've heard so far.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

ariston
KVRAF
3893 posts since 28 Jun, 2009 from Wherever I lay my hat

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:14 am

The Bootsie plugins (Variety of Sound) are great, and they're free.

I use Sonimus Satson, which is a ridiculously priced console emulation, and Studio Devil Preamp. And, although it doesn't (try to) look even remotely analogue, Izotope Alloy. Great EQ, wonderful saturation modes, especially the "warm" setting.

Recently, I've added Satin and Klanghelm's SDRR into the mix. Add all of these together, and any fault with the mix is entirely my own.

Ian Dowling
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:24 am

musikmachine wrote:Klanghelm DC8C, best bus compressor i've heard so far.
I tried the compressor and it sounds flat to me, it doesn't enhance the depth and 3D shapes of the mix, like the Glue compressor does.

There is a type of sound, depth and texture which is found in the good plugin compressor/processors which are unfortunately not found in most.

musikmachine
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:45 am

Ian Dowling wrote:
I tried the compressor and it sounds flat to me, it doesn't enhance the depth and 3D shapes of the mix, like the Glue compressor does.

There is a type of sound, depth and texture which is found in the good plugin compressor/processors which are unfortunately not found in most.
Interesting! I'm still learning how the advanced controls work but i've been able to get some very good results on drums, tried loops, kits and individual hits and bass and i'm liking the results. :)

I meant to add it's been a while since i tried the glue so i'll hgave to give the demo another go, i'm very happy with DC8C though.

heffus
KVRian
1085 posts since 3 Aug, 2005 from Chicago

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:01 am

Slate VBC
Vos Rescue

Ian Dowling
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:19 am

musikmachine wrote:
Ian Dowling wrote:

Interesting! I'm still learning how the advanced controls work but i've been able to get some very good results on drums, tried loops, kits and individual hits and bass and i'm liking the results. :)

I meant to add it's been a while since i tried the glue so i'll hgave to give the demo another go, i'm very happy with DC8C though.
You know, sometime ago I was thinking that the glue was just a hype and that at this very low price, it was targeted towards ignorant kiddies who believe in hype and can imagine things that doesn't actually exist and who believe that a plugin sounds good based on how many people said it sounded good.

I was biased, I tried it and thought it sounded ordinary(my mind fooled me), and I dissed it ... then after some time and more time spent with testing and dissing myriads of ordinary plugins, I got to a point where my ears got to understand and hear what the very very few top notch plugins were doing and the sound quality they imparted. My mind wasn't fooling me anymore, and I knew what to look for with regards to sound quality.

Then I tried the glue again with oversampling, and I got a slap in the face :)

The Duende SSL was the only compressor which was close to hardware, so it was all the time on my master buss and it is very good sonically and vibe-wise but not very aggressive ... then when I replaced it with the glue ... and I got the aggressiveness I was looking for, and a very expensive sound quality and vibe :)

If this plugin's asking price was $500, I would happily pay for it :)

Fernando Carvalho
KVRist
183 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:34 am

SDRR, Satin, TB Ferox & Reelbus.

Mudcat007
KVRist
438 posts since 24 Feb, 2005 from Franklin, TN USA

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:15 am

Another vote for Bootsy. If your looking for something to use on the master buss or stereo sub-groups his Tessla Pro and Baxter EQ are particularly effective for increasing the "3D-ness" of a track.

Fred_Abstract
KVRist
314 posts since 27 Nov, 2009

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:26 am

to me soundtoys is only plugins company that nail the depth of some of my analog equipment or is very close to it. (but they don t nail dynamic aspect/transient shaping, peak cliping ect and saturation can be blurry ) the depth is one of the most important factor to feel it sound like hardware to me. and so far i have find it mostly with nebula and soundtoys as algo plugins...

Some analog equipment is very subbtle in their color and for this plugins can be very close
Last edited by Fred_Abstract on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

nineofkings
KVRAF
1791 posts since 9 Apr, 2011

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:29 am

"3-D-ness" is caused by contrast. While dynamic saturation can help create contrast in individual sounds (assuming they have some dynamics), it's comes more from the interaction between different instruments in the mix, not just a magic plugin.

That said, give Acrobatics Rombo a try :D

Mudcat007
KVRist
438 posts since 24 Feb, 2005 from Franklin, TN USA

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:55 am

nineofkings wrote:"3-D-ness" is caused by contrast. While dynamic saturation can help create contrast in individual sounds (assuming they have some dynamics), it's comes more from the interaction between different instruments in the mix, not just a magic plugin.
Absolutely!
That said, give Acrobatics Rombo a try :D
Thanks for the tip! :D

musikmachine
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:06 am

Ian Dowling wrote:
musikmachine wrote:
Ian Dowling wrote:

You know, sometime ago I was thinking that the glue was just a hype and that at this very low price, it was targeted towards ignorant kiddies who believe in hype and can imagine things that doesn't actually exist and who believe that a plugin sounds good based on how many people said it sounded good.

I was biased, I tried it and thought it sounded ordinary(my mind fooled me), and I dissed it ... then after some time and more time spent with testing and dissing myriads of ordinary plugins, I got to a point where my ears got to understand and hear what the very very few top notch plugins were doing and the sound quality they imparted. My mind wasn't fooling me anymore, and I knew what to look for with regards to sound quality.

Then I tried the glue again with oversampling, and I got a slap in the face :)

The Duende SSL was the only compressor which was close to hardware, so it was all the time on my master buss and it is very good sonically and vibe-wise but not very aggressive ... then when I replaced it with the glue ... and I got the aggressiveness I was looking for, and a very expensive sound quality and vibe :)

If this plugin's asking price was $500, I would happily pay for it :)
There's a lot of hype around DC82 and i wasn't sure, thought maybe it was price not to say it's not great but people saying it replaced compressors costing many times more was difficult to believe.

I don't have much of a point of reference but DC8C is great for adding depth and life to the mix to anything i've tried it on which is great when working itb. It was the demos of SDRR that gave me a idea of the quality of Tonhelm plugins and i bought DC8C soon after. SDRR is next, i'm imaging a little of that after DC8C on the master would sound stunning (i guess you've checked out IVGI?).

Your OP makes me think of console or summing plugins, that's the effect their supposed to create. :)

FabienTDR
KVRian
1103 posts since 24 Feb, 2012

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 am

nineofkings wrote:"3-D-ness" is caused by contrast. While dynamic saturation can help create contrast in individual sounds (assuming they have some dynamics), it's comes more from the interaction between different instruments in the mix, not just a magic plugin.
+ 1000
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

DubLifeSD
KVRian
513 posts since 29 Jul, 2009 from San Diego, CA

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:07 am

SonEQ
FerricTDS

Two of the best I've heard on the free market.

Return to “Effects”