reverb/echoes for complex outdoor areas (forests, lakes, and such)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aether Altiverb EAReverb

I want to emulate a certain sound that I heard when I was outdoors at a lake - surrounded by trees. I made a clap with my hands. The response was absolutely amazing to my ears. Multiple echoes with character of "smudgy" highpassed reverb on top.

The only way I think I can rebuild this sound is to have a 1-step delay for each "side" of the lake, each with its own independent delay time, and then put different reverbs for each delay step and then a reverb on the whole buss group of delays to emulate the sound travelling on the water on the lake.

Are there any IR-reverbs that have IR files like this available?

I was thinking about recording this to an IR file, something I have never done before. But it's kind of a big project since I need electricity for my soundcard and mics etc. :P

cnt wrote:I want to emulate a certain sound that I heard when I was outdoors at a lake - surrounded by trees. I made a clap with my hands. The response was absolutely amazing to my ears. Multiple echoes with character of "smudgy" highpassed reverb on top.

The only way I think I can rebuild this sound is to have a 1-step delay for each "side" of the lake, each with its own independent delay time, and then put different reverbs for each delay step and then a reverb on the whole buss group of delays to emulate the sound travelling on the water on the lake.

Are there any IR-reverbs that have IR files like this available?

I was thinking about recording this to an IR file, something I have never done before. But it's kind of a big project since I need electricity for my soundcard and mics etc. :P
Yes there is:

http://www.2caudio.com/products/aether#_overview

In Aether You can find ER of the forrest or Streets or Under the bridge..Or anything else..
Demo is available.

xoxos outdoorverb
This algorithmic reverb is geared towards emulation of unenclosed spaces by using three tiers of multitap delays to create scattered reflections.

outdoorverb features

each delay tap is detuned by a seed-generated veriance.
variance is specified for all taps of each delay.
each tap is similarly amplitude varied.
being able to detune each tier independently creates various synthetic resonant effects.
16 outdoor presets, 16 synth/percussion presets.
Last edited by HiEnergy on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

cnt wrote:Are there any IR-reverbs that have IR files like this available?
This set should work with any convolution reverb:

http://www.boomlibrary.com/boomlibrary/ ... -responses
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

i like EAReverb for my natural 'outdoor' verbs, not sure if it would be suitable for what you're talking about? Worth a demo though, it's a great verb! + the dev is a gem of a bloke ;)

altiverb comes with a pretty amazing array of IRs including lots of outdoor spaces. Including some forests. I'm not sure if it includes a forest clearing by a lake though. If you could get back to that place you could capture an impulse response with a field recorder.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:altiverb comes with a pretty amazing array of IRs including lots of outdoor spaces. Including some forests. I'm not sure if it includes a forest clearing by a lake though. If you could get back to that place you could capture an impulse response with a field recorder.

JJ
+1 - Altiverb is the first choice, IMO. Too bad they still didn't relese version 7 for Windows.
Fernando (FMR)

Thanks! Doesn't sound at all like what I was looking for though. Small areas, no real echoes from kilometres away.

cnt wrote:
Thanks! Doesn't sound at all like what I was looking for though. Small areas, no real echoes from kilometres away.
Yeah, I have most of the IRs from that site (I think) and they aren't outdoor areas. Perhaps the site title is a little misleading?

I'm talking about something that has almost NO early reflections, only multiple late reflections (in seconds!).

The sound travels across the lake to a forest on each "side" of the lake, and each "side" has different distance from the source (1km, 800meter, 2km etc).
IE, very long delay between hit and responses.

I'm not sure this possible to do with ONE instance of ANY reverb or delay plugin? Except for a very long IR recording.

Haven't found an IR that sounds anything like it so far.

This lake scenario sounds very interesting.

But how would one avoid singing birds or chirping crickets (for example)?

You won't find any reverb to do this, sorry.

First, you'll need a surround reverb, and there are some, but they all emulate abstract 'spaces', without actual relief/objects/surfaces that any natural space contains. Even if they did contain emulations of such natural phenomena, they'd be in much lower definition/harder to configure precisely than what you would need to 'recreate' what you've heard on location. And even if you tried to build your own contraption out of many delay and reverb fx,... well, just try it and hear for yourself...

So, your best friend is a hifi recorder and a trip back to the place you want to capture.

whyterabbyt wrote:
cnt wrote:Are there any IR-reverbs that have IR files like this available?
This set should work with any convolution reverb:

http://www.boomlibrary.com/boomlibrary/ ... -responses
Aah. Some of the sounds more close to what I mean.

I already have Steinberg REVerence since I own Cubase 7, and it can load IR's...
So I think I have a new project. Need to learn how to record IR's. :)

I think SpaceMaster reverb for Reaktor can do this, and has an outdoor preset.

Return to “Effects”