USB Monitor on stage?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone using a small monitor onstage with Cantabile? I'm thinking of something like the DoubleSight DS90U, which is 9" and powered by USB. I'm using a laptop now for getting the patches and set lists together but will use a 2U rackmount PC for gigging. While it seems fairly bullet proof I'd like to have a screen just in case. I could run a long USB cable back to the rack and mount a small screen somewhere.

I thought about putting a LCD display in the 5.25" drive bay like a Reaper but (1) it seems clunky to do with the existing software, etc. and (2) it'll be too far away to for live use.

I couldn't find anywhere what the minimum screen resolution for Cantabile is - would 1024x600 work for live use to switch between songs? If so then the DS90U may work.

There's also the DS70U which is 7" but only 800x480 which seems to be not enough resolution, but the bonus is that it's even more hidden.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts here.

Thats an interesting thread.

Iam wondering myselfs how I can integrate a notebook and a screen into my setup. I don't want to have the notebook visible.

I thought about making my own midi keyboard and put a touchscreen into it, a macbook and a RME babyface soundcard into the keyboard so that it's not visible. (and nothing can be stolen)

The best solution for me is to have a small display infront of me with the current preset and showing the next preset. Plus a "next" and "previus" key and a jog wheel and an illuminated display. Thats all I need on stage.

I bought a "frontier tranzport" which seemed to be compatible with brainspawn forte, but it didn't worked for me. I never got it running. (and forte crashed too much anyway)

So I thought about buying a cheap midi keyboard and let a flightcase be made specially for this keyboard... a litte bit larger so that there is enough space for the touchscreen, the macbook and the audio interface. Here is a picture of the touch display. It's made by "ELO".

10 years ago I used an old Kawai K1 synth to control my ESI 4000 turbo sampler.
I just named the presets in the synth so that they match with the sounds in the sampler. This worked good. The only disadvantage is when using 128 sounds. Because the sounds in the synth are seperated in 4 banks. So there is no easy switching through preset 1-128.

Iam still not sure about the best way for me. It would be cool to find a keyboard with assignable switches for up/down, an LCD display and a jog wheel. Seems like an axiom keyboard can only display numbers, no text for the presets.

Maybe there is a small box somewhere which can send program changes and has editable patch names. Just like the Miditemp PMM88E. But this one needs a 19" unit so that the remote works.

Idea:
Regarding screen resolutions... you could just change the resolution of the display you're using at the moment to see which resolution works for you.

Cheers,
Roelli.

So, first I tested it with an AOC e1649fwu USB monitor, which at 1366x768 was just like a typical laptop monitor. No problems there.

I just got my hands on a DoubleSight DS-90U 9" 1024x600 and while small (essentially a netbook screen), it should really work well for onstage use when combined with the Status view (I just wish I could change the fonts for Previous and Next songs to make them bigger). In a pinch I can do other work as well but I really don't want to mess with anything live. What's nice is that it's not too bright, either (the AOC monitor is VERY bright). Same drivers, so I can just switch monitor to monitor if needed.

I'm getting a VESA 75mm x 75mm bracket for it and will find a way to mount it on my Apex stand, running the USB cord back to the rack.

As mentioned in another post I also installed the display on in the rack case to make it look more like a Receptor (not "Reaper").

Return to “Topten Software”