Spectral Noise Oscillator

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi -- I'm using Spectral for this month's One Synth Challenge, and when I try to play a simple white noise oscillator, I cannot get the oscillator to simply play noise. I have selected the factory white noise / pink noise oscillator, turned off the filter, and it plays a buzzy pitched sound. What am I missing?

Thanks very much.

... you missed that - due to the architecture used - there is no noise oscillator. Please check the Manual about Noise and try the (faked) Noise examples from the "Examples and tests" bank

You can create noise-like chaos by using self-PM with a high feedback.

Thanks -- I found the example files and saw that using self-PM with a hi value creates noise -- it was just confusing to see an oscillator called White and Pink Noise -- normally that would suggest that the oscillator creates noise.

This is a very nice sounding and interesting synth - thank you for making it available for the OSC.

ontrackp wrote:.. it was just confusing to see an oscillator called White and Pink Noise -- normally that would suggest that the oscillator creates noise.
Yes, I see. These waveforms have the sepctrum accordingly to how it would be in noise, just with true noise you also have all kinds of inharmonics (which are not possible in Spectral), So these are somewhat similar, but certainly no noise, right.

It will be a special day when we can load single cycle waveforms into Spectral.

Thanks Peter :wink:
No auto tune...

Thanks Peter. It's a very interesting (and nice sounding) synth -- the combination of double waveform oscillators with dedicated filters makes for a unique architecture. It would be helpful if there were small mute and solo buttons next to each oscillator, so it would not be necessary to select various oscillators and turn them off to hear the results of editing on each layer.

Also - one more question -- is there a strategy to cut down on the CPU load? It sometimes gets very CPU heavy - doesn't seem to relate directly to lots of modulations or combinations of oscillators that I can tell.

Thanks!

Hi ontrackp,
you can right click on the osc selector (radio button) in the very left to switch each layer on/off quickly, hope this is sufficient. About CPU there are nor mysteries known to me, maybe some notes still in release do eat some CPU, feel free to send me a patch that behaves erratic.

Thanks -- I will have to read the manual more carefully as I'm sure that's explained. I'll send you any patches that seem to eat CPU.

- Steve

Thanks -- I will have to read the manual more carefully as I'm sure that's explained. I'll send you any patches that seem to eat CPU.

- Steve

Hi -- here is a patch I'm working on that is using almost 45% of my CPU.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ucpnel5194ed ... 20mod2.fxp

THank you.

Hi Steve,
on a last years i7 mobile I can run 5 notes at 38% and 8 notes at 64% , you're using 3 Oscillators which are all spread, so actually in total 14 oscillators and filters per note, so thats a pretty normal CPU use for Spectral.

Thanks Peter.

Return to “LinPlug”