Aalto 1.5 update

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aalto

Howdy,

Aalto 1.5 is now out for Mac and Windows. This should fix the CPU issues people were seeing with some Windows systems in the previous update. It also has a bunch of usability tweaks on both Mac and Windows.

I also addressed the latency issue with the engine that some folks here noticed. Briefly, if a signal processor allows arbitrary connections between its modules, as Aalto does, then practically you have to introduce some latency in order to deal with loops. It used to be that in Aalto this latency was the same size as the plugin host buffer, which could be very obvious in certain patches. Now the latency is a fixed 64 samples.

If you have a Retina Display, Aalto is now full res in compatible hosts. Sadly, Ableton Live does not support full-resolution display on retina. But in Logic, GB, MainStage and some other hosts this thing rocks.

1.5.0 changes
----------------------------------------------------------------

- Fixed an issue that was slowing down Aalto dramatically on some Windows systems.
- Fixed an issue requiring a runtime support pack on some Windows systems.
- Improved latency through the patcher when running at large host buffer sizes.
- Aalto now draws at full resolution on Macintosh Retina Display, in compatible hosts.
- Aalto is now compatible with Soundplane version 1.0 and higher.
- Fix mousewheel direction on Mac OS 10.7 and higher.
- Accelerated drawing to the screen on Mac OS with OpenGL.
- Optimized drawing scheduling to avoid glitches, especially in Logic.
- User and factory presets now share the same location.
- Improved ergonomics of patcher with larger handles and smoother graphics.
- Fixed a drawing problem with bipolar dials.
- Improved drag ergonomics for dials.
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

Great news! 64 samples is very reasonable, same as many other instruments like addictive keys and Alchemy for example.

Great work!

By the way, the presets won't install for me. This has been happening the last couple updates. It just hangs and the might give an error/failure notification.

I'm on OSX Mavericks, MBP quadcore.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:By the way, the presets won't install for me. This has been happening the last couple updates. It just hangs and the might give an error/failure notification.

I'm on OSX Mavericks, MBP quadcore.
Gaaah. Are you installing this package? http://www.madronalabs.com/media/aalto/ ... resets.zip

I'll have to check into this on Mavericks, thanks for the info.
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

I uploaded a zip file of just the presets without an installer:
http://www.madronalabs.com/media/aalto/ ... resets.zip

To install them, unzip this and move the "Aalto" folder to (your home dir)/Library/Audio/Presets/Madrona Labs/Aalto. I'm sure you know this but to copy into it you will have to manually show the library folder as explained here: http://www.macworld.com/article/2057221 ... ricks.html
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

Thanks, that works. I had just been trying to install the presets that come in the installer. The Aalto installer works fine but the preset installer just hung, I had to force quit. It did delete the old preset categories (pads etc.) but didn't touch the artist presets. Anyways, all good now.

Fixed an issue that was slowing down Aalto dramatically on some Windows systems.

Finally... I think Aalto was slowing down Windows. But hey, it is now fixed!

Many thanks for the update Randy. I only bought Aalto just after the previous update so don't really have a benchmark to compare with, but CPU usage seems much reduced for me. Less than 10% in Task Manager on my i5 when using complex patches involving all 4 voices. Sweet! :tu:

Impressive graphics on OS X with Retina !!! But I'm really waiting for the 4 polyphony voices limit to be removed ! :pray:

Since these are mostly bugfixes i was wondering; do Aalto Solo users get an updated build too?

ENV1 wrote:Since these are mostly bugfixes i was wondering; do Aalto Solo users get an updated build too?
Or AaltoCM users too?

As far as I can tell the CPU problem came up after Aalto Solo / Aalto CM were released. So these plugins should continue to run OK.

I plan to update the free plugs someday, but I have other things I need to do first, like ship Kaivo and make some more Soundplanes.
Randy Jones
Madrona Labs

OK. Fair enough.

Thanks for the update, definitely better on cpu here and there. And now my tax refund awaits kaivo!

I'm really glad that Aalto doesn't crash Cubase anymore. Because I use Aalto a lot. Really easy to make interesting sounds with it (the patcher is brilliant!).
I hope you will make a multieffects plugin with the patcher.

When will Kaivo be released?

Return to “Instruments”