Bazille Patch Competition #2 (submissions closed)

Official support for: u-he.com
Urs
u-he
25623 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 am

submissions closed, voting starts soon

while voting for the first competition takes place...

Bazille Patch Competition #2

As Bazille is still free (public beta serial number), we're starting another SOUND DESIGN contest! Another chance to win u-he products 8)

This time around there are 5 categories:

1. The Modular Pluck
When last time we were looking for all things hammered, this time we're looking for all things plucked. Give us the perfect DX Nylon Guitar, a nice fretless, a steel guitar or the good old Insomnia sound. Again, realism and autheticity are good options, but don't let them get in the way of your creativity! (check out Bazille's Distortion effect for some amazing heavy metal guitars!)

2. Loops
Bazille has all that periodic stuff like sequencing, repetitive Ramps, syncable TapMap Oscillators. We're looking for complete drum loops, rhythmic drones, squelchy bass lines and the march of the goblins.

3. Map Madness
Next in our technical "innovation" category: Use the Mapping Generators in most unusual and creative ways. Key Splits? - Pah! Sequences? - For beginners! What else can you do with Maps that we haven't thought of yet?

4. Monster From The Deep, episode 2
This is the freestyle category. Again! Let the beast have its way!

5. Extra Category: An Unexpected Beauty
While Bazille is certainly a bit too CPU draining to be your bread'n'butter pad synthesizer, it turns out that some pads are simply too beautiful to be sniffed at. Therefore we're adding an extra category to this competition, dedicated to beautiful pad sounds. Make it warm and wide, but don't make it too kitsch. Make a pad that only Bazille can do!

Rules & Submission
Patch design must start from the initial state of Bazille, or the included initialize patch - i.e. don't start by modifying someone else's preset.

Send submissions via e-mail to competitions@u-he.com – and please mention "Bazille PC#2" and the category in the subject line, e.g. "Bazille PC#2 Mapper Madness"! This means that if anyone wants to take part in all categories, we will need 5 separate emails. You can send up to 3 patches for each category. If more than 3 presets are sent per category, we will randomly choose 3 of them.

Of course each email submission must contain the name of the participant. We will strip the author’s name from the presets in the voting phase, but will add the name back in afterwards.

Deadline
You have a bit more than 10 days.

Deadline is June 16th at 12.59pm Central European Time. If you send on the 15th, you'll be on the safe side.

Voting
Once submissions are closed, we'll need some days to prepare downloads. We will then post all presets in our support forum, anonymized, along with a public poll for each category. Everyone can name his favourite preset in each category. Those votes will be counted and the preset with the most votes makes its author the winner in that category.

Score Brownie Points!
Make sure your Patches
- use ModWheel, Velocity and Aftertouch to do audible things
- have their output volume set sensibly to peak at about between -6dB (+/- 3dB) for one voice (monophonic patches) or three voices (poly patches) at full velocity
- don't have a prefix with your name that we need to edit out
- have a distinctive name. It may be descriptive, but it shouldn't just be "pluck 1" or something
- have a preset description and usage hints

If two presets are competing for a prize, Brownie points will be applied!

Prizes
The winner in each category will receive a u-he plug-in of choice (full version, not just an NFR). The creators of the patches 2-5 in each category will receive a 50$ voucher for the u-he shop.

Fine Print
Participants agree that u-he reserves the right to make received presets publicly available without further consent, either as download or bundled with the final version of Bazille itself.

Get started! Now! :)

KVRer
1 posts since 5 Jun, 2014

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 am

Sweet! A second competition! Looking forward to the listening to the submissions!

KVRAF
21521 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:32 pm

OK, I totally didn't manage to do anything for the first competition unfortunately (my grandfather passed away... as well as my great friend Steve Howell), but I already have two sounds for this one. One mad sequence and one nice pluck!

Urs, do we need to send all 3 sounds per category in one e-mail, or can we send each sound we make for one of the categories individually? I reckon the former is easier for you guys.

Urs
u-he

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:53 pm

EvilDragon wrote:OK, I totally didn't manage to do anything for the first competition unfortunately (my grandfather passed away... as well as my great friend Steve Howell)
I'm sorry to hear that...
Urs, do we need to send all 3 sounds per category in one e-mail, or can we send each sound we make for one of the categories individually? I reckon the former is easier for you guys.
Any way you like zipped, unzipped, separate emails… no prob

KVRAF
6144 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

KVRAF
4036 posts since 23 May, 2004 from Bad Vilbel, Germany

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:05 pm

EvilDragon wrote:OK, I totally didn't manage to do anything for the first competition unfortunately (my grandfather passed away... as well as my great friend Steve Howell)...
Condolences, Mario :-(

Urs
u-he

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:29 am

Added "- have a preset description and usage hints" to criteria for scoring brownie points.

KVRist
229 posts since 11 Mar, 2014

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:54 am

Urs wrote:Added "- have a preset description and usage hints" to criteria for scoring brownie points.
Speaking of... what is the naming convention of the Multiplexes?

1 2
3 4

or

1 3
2 4

or?

Not vital but for patch note purposes, might be nice if they were marked?

KVRAF

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks, Urs and Howard.

I hope you'll like my sounds. :)

@lectrixboogaloo: it's 1 2 on the left side, 3 4 on the right side.

Urs
u-he

Topic Starter

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Added "(check out Bazille's Distortion effect for some amazing heavy metal guitars!)" as suggestion for the first category.

KVRAF

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:19 pm

Yup, foldback mode is AWESOME! Both my patches so far use it, but not for heavy metal guitars :P

KVRist
274 posts since 6 Oct, 2013 from South Australia

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:50 am

EvilDragon wrote:OK, I totally didn't manage to do anything for the first competition unfortunately (my grandfather passed away... as well as my great friend Steve Howell), but I already have two sounds for this one. One mad sequence and one nice pluck!
My condolences too ED. Sorry to hear that. That's pretty rough losing two so close together.

Urs, this time I should be able to get some submissions to you. I already have some pad patches from my previous tune written for my new album but I am really liking Bazille's pad making capabilities. I have included brownie points controllers in these because that is typically what I do anyway (use SY77 as controller with two mod wheels, pitch wheel and aftertouch).

I guess it would be best to specify controller designations in the patch description box too then? For example, my SY77 assigns controller no. 13 as the second mod wheel.

Did you see the bug report I posted about the midi learn function in the other Bazille (public beta released) thread?

KVRAF
1617 posts since 11 Dec, 2008 from Minneapolis

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:28 pm

AusDisciple wrote:
I guess it would be best to specify controller designations in the patch description box too then? For example, my SY77 assigns controller no. 13 as the second
Most MIDI CCs aren't per patch, they won't be restored by another user. Velocity, MW, AT, and Breath are cable sources, however - this is likely the path of least resistance for programming some additional behaviors into a patch.

JC_
KVRist
176 posts since 23 Nov, 2013 from Canada

Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:43 am

Hey, I'm kind of a noob here so sorry if this is a dumb question but I was wondering: Will you be adding up total votes each user gets for each category or strictly by preset? For instance, say I submitted 2 patches to the Monster from the Deep category and both were getting votes, would you add both of my patches votes together (since it's the same user) or do you just count each patch as an individual "horse in the race", so to speak?

KVRist
88 posts since 21 Feb, 2010

Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:37 am

my condolence @ evil
Holy the next competition, the first isn´t closed...i have to work too...okay lets tweak ^^

Return to “u-he”