Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
abique
KVRian

551 posts since 26 May, 2013, from Berlin

Postby abique; Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:46 pm Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

Good evening,

After hard work and huge contributions :tu: from:
  • slackner
  • phant0m
  • R.A.T.T.
we reached a point where we have pretty good support of Windows VST on Linux. :party: :clap:
I tested it with Bitwig and Renoise.

Requirements:
gcc-multilib
vstsdk-2.4
last version of wine-1.6. Do not use wine-1.7 at the moment.

How to install:
Checkout the branch xembed at: https://github.com/abique/vst-bridge/tree/xembed and follow the instructions.

If you plan to use Juce based plugins (TAL, d16groups, ...) think to disable dwrite in winecfg.
Some plugins like Synthmaster will fail to render because they use unimplemented wine functions (in gdi or other areas).

Good luck everyone and enjoy your Windows plugins on Linux ;-)

PS: installation instruction will be updated and a scanner will be added later.
audiohouse
KVRist

87 posts since 22 Apr, 2013, from Somewhere not near you!

Postby audiohouse; Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:58 pm Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

Finally something happening on the Linux side. Bitwig runs well on my Ubuntu box, but since I couldnt get my favourite VST's to work, it really was just for fun and playing around.

Let me be the first to say HUGE THANKS to all involved!

Will test this out :D
StudioDave
KVRian

827 posts since 23 Jun, 2007, from Findlay OH USA

Postby StudioDave; Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:25 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

Greetings,

Last version of Wine 1.6 appears to be 1.6.2, is that what you use ? I ask because I'll have to build it myself on Fedora 19. No big deal, I just want to be sure about the version.

64-bit Wine or 32-bit ? I'm on a dual-core x86_64 system, with multiarch support. Most of the Win VSTs I have are 32-bit, so I'm going to assume I want a 32-bit build. Please advise if I'm wrong.

Best,

dp
abique
KVRian

Postby abique; Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:06 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

StudioDave, I'm using this version of wine: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-stable/
My wine version supports both 64 bits and 32 bits. So vst-bridge handles both 32 bits and 64 bits ;-)
Bzerk
KVRist

53 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Postby Bzerk; Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:18 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

Great! I could make a previous version work with SSD4 but I had a few problems (D&D did not work from SSD4 to Bitwig), I will try this one.
Keep up the good work, your contribution to this linux-daw is really cool.
carlosjcuevasm
KVRist

203 posts since 30 Oct, 2013, from Dominican Republic

Postby carlosjcuevasm; Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:44 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

Awesome! Thanks! I run on a Windows but I am sure I'll be getting a chromebook ( to install Linux) some point in the future. Being able to use the majority of my plugins there is like a bless as chromebooks are very very cheap. Would not for production ( performance) but is OF COURSE welcome. Imma be a Linux guy soon :D
StudioDave
KVRian

827 posts since 23 Jun, 2007, from Findlay OH USA

Postby StudioDave; Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

Okay, got Wine 1.6.2 installed, rebuilt vst-bridge-xembed sources, and voila, I have some Windows VSTs in BWS. It's not all paradisical - there are GUI issues with some synths, crashes with others - but it's nice to have the instruments. I'm only testing freebies, got SQ8L, Crystal, SuperWave P8, and DigitsVST working nicely. Also tested North Pole, DFXTransverb, and Luxonix's LFX-1310. Oldies, I know. :)

A big "Well done and thank you !" to the crew. I'll provide more details about misbehaving plugs, gotta teach here soon, but I wanted to confirm the performance of the software. System here is Fedora 19 x86_64 on an old HP laptop, dual-core AMD Turion with nVidia GPU, and using the built-in (i.e. crappy) audio system.

Best,

dp
abique
KVRian

Postby abique; Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:43 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

StudioDave wrote:Okay, got Wine 1.6.2 installed, rebuilt vst-bridge-xembed sources, and voila, I have some Windows VSTs in BWS. It's not all paradisical - there are GUI issues with some synths, crashes with others - but it's nice to have the instruments. I'm only testing freebies, got SQ8L, Crystal, SuperWave P8, and DigitsVST working nicely. Also tested North Pole, DFXTransverb, and Luxonix's LFX-1310. Oldies, I know. :)

A big "Well done and thank you !" to the crew. I'll provide more details about misbehaving plugs, gotta teach here soon, but I wanted to confirm the performance of the software. System here is Fedora 19 x86_64 on an old HP laptop, dual-core AMD Turion with nVidia GPU, and using the built-in (i.e. crappy) audio system.

Best,

dp

Hey!

Thanks for you feedback, I discover some issues after my excitement, but they're not blockers for me.
I tested plugins from u-he and d16 group, both of them gave me satisfaction.

I'm going to publish a video to show how it looks for me.
abique
KVRian

Postby abique; Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:53 pm Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

A small video to show how it runs for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHd_Vl5EVAk
ThomasHelzle
KVRAF

4749 posts since 9 Dec, 2008, from Berlin

Postby ThomasHelzle; Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:35 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

:tu:
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there."
Rumi

ScreenDream | Thomas Helzle
danboid
KVRist

321 posts since 14 Nov, 2011

Postby danboid; Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:20 pm Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

I've just built this and tried it with Tracktion 5.3.9 under Ubuntu 12.04.4 x64 with wine 1.6.2 without any real success.

Neither the latest beta nor the latest stable release of synth1, 32 or 64bit bridges pass the VST scanner of Tracktion - it just says 'Deactivated after failing to initialize correctly'. I got the same results with both the 32 and 64-bit bridges of Crystal.

I think there is some hope though as farbrausch's v2 (32bit) did scan OK and T5 let me insert it into a track but the plugin window was just black - no UI or controls visible at all.

That's all I've tried so far. Great to hear its working under Bitwig anyway!
danboid
KVRist

321 posts since 14 Nov, 2011

Postby danboid; Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:13 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

It works.. a bit.. under Tracktion too! The bridges work much better under qtractor so I'd say you can add that to the list of Linux DAWs its known to work with.

I've got the 32 bit build of Synth1 v1.13b1 working under Ubuntu Tracktion now! It didn't work the first time I tried it but after I got it working under qtractor using a VST bridge I thought I'd try again under Tracktion. Glad I did! :)

The incompatibility problems are obviously with Tracktion's VST support rather than the VST bridge plugins because I've had many more plugins, such as Crystal and Daedalus, work using the bridges under qtractor. Such plugins either don't scan properly or crash as soon as you try adding them to a track under Tracktion.
glokraw
KVRAF

6100 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:33 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

Podolski and TyrellN6 from U-he might also work, and have some
great presets. Zebralette is also a free 'portion' of Zebra, that I
think is installed as part of the Zebra demo. And ZebraCM,
is magazineware, on ComputerMusicMagazine dvd's, and in their E-mag downloads vault. These all have been solid across many
linux/wine versions.
Cheers
phantom-one
KVRist

396 posts since 27 Mar, 2014

Postby phantom-one; Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:30 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

Actually, last wine version should also work.
kenoby
KVRer

19 posts since 10 Nov, 2006

Postby kenoby; Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:26 am Re: Windows VST on Linux, FINALY!

Hi,

first thanks for the work! much appreciated.
I ran into 2 errors while compiling the host-binaries:
Code: Select all
host.cc: In function ‘VstIntPtr host_audio_master2(AEffect*, VstInt32, VstInt32, VstIntPtr, void*, float)’:
host.cc:561:39: error: cast from ‘VstTimeInfo*’ to ‘VstIntPtr {aka int}’ loses precision [-fpermissive]
     return VstIntPtr(&g_host.time_info);

host.cc: In function ‘bool serve_request2(vst_bridge_request*)’:
host.cc:279:66: error: cast from ‘uint8_t* {aka unsigned char*}’ to ‘VstIntPtr {aka int}’ loses precision [-fpermissive]
                                            VstIntPtr(rq->erq.data), rq->erq.data,

could one of the devs please help me.

Cheers
Next

Moderator: Bitwig Mods

Return to Bitwig