Any Good Free Samplers Out There? Alternative to Kontakt Player?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seidhepriest wrote:So the Kontakt Player can have working controls and everything inside the Player given that NI gets a licence fee?
Well, not quite. If NI gets a license fee, you get to use the library without a time-limit. Otherwise, after 15 minutes, the player goes silent.
Seidhepriest wrote:Basically then NI has got it down to this: either the customer buys Kontakt 5 full version and can load any kind of instruments, or he downloads the Kontakt 5 Player and as long as the instrument he bought has a paid NI licence, it can be used with no limitations - is that right?
No time-based limitations, correct. The player itself still isn't as full-featured as the ROMpler...though it is some $400 cheaper. :wink:
Seidhepriest wrote:Sample Tank 2.55 might be it, it really depends on features, and there's no point whatsoever to getting the latest bloat with unnecessary features, both for the developer and the customer...
You might want to check the compatibility between the new SampleTank 3 libraries and the older ones if you're going to develop for the older one. ST3 apparently loads ST2.5 IK and third-party ("professionally developed") libraries, but I've seen issues reported with "home-made" v2.5 libraries in ST3. Still, if you follow what IK requires when creating the library, you should be fine. You might also want to keep in mind, however, that many ST2.5 users (if not most of them) may have upgraded to ST3 by the time your library is ready. If they did upgrade, they may also have uninstalled ST2.5. SampleTank 3 offers 64-bit support and a host of new features, so many users may not feel the need to keep both (though I know I will!).

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Well bugger. You see, the instrument itself would rather have tweakable knobs and parameters, it's not too good otherwise. So while the Kontakt version would exist, there ought to be something less arrogant, fully usable, but free (to the end user).

I wish UVI would release an instrument for UVI Workstation that would let user load their own samples, or record them directly into the plug.

UVI Workstation got such great FX and Arp/Seq sections, perfect for sample mangling

I haven't tried it recently, but ST 3 was actually a huge step backwards in instrument creation. In fact the best way to make an ST3 instrument was to make an ST2.5 instrument and import it into ST3. If I remember right if you import say all the As on a piano into ST2.5, it would make a full keyboard of sound for you. If you did the same with ST3 it would make the A notes have sound and all the other notes would be blank. ST 2.5 player really was the easiest way to distribute 100% freebies there for a while.

If you want to make to make distributable VSTis, you could try Maize Sampler. It costs about 100 bucks for you to buy (there's a limited free version), but your users pay nothing. It is a visual drag and drop interface, though nowhere near as nice as Kontakt. It can export for Mac and 32 & 64 bit PC.
It isn't the prettiest installation as it installs a folder in the end users VST directory. Also do not use its DFD function as it causes glitching. It also seems to have odd little issues like not working with main volume in Cubase, I think is one complaint I've gotten and can be glitchy in old versions of FL studio, though that might be related to the DFD thing.

A good free example is drummica. Load it in the demo and it works unlimited still.

Drum'mica is free because Sennheiser had a special deal with NI to make it, for their self-promotion. Also Sennheiser is a giant company and spending a few thousand dollars for Kontakt Player licensing is nothing to them.

Numanoid wrote:I wish UVI would release an instrument for UVI Workstation that would let user load their own samples, or record them directly into the plug.

UVI Workstation got such great FX and Arp/Seq sections, perfect for sample mangling
Or you buy MachFive 3, the full version of UVI Workstation. :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Synthedit: o-O
Maize works, yes, but it has some other glitches, like clicking on low notes. That's with a fairly high sample unity note though (B4 methinks). Still, it's a tad obnoxious, as it limits fast playing... And yes, attack values have been adjusted even to something like 50 msec. - and it still clicks...

It does work on midrange notes though:

http://www.solarstudios.net/Sounds/Fantasia-Demo.ogg

And a quick improvisation with the same (there're some slight clicks on low notes, it gets worse on way lower octaves):

http://www.solarstudios.net/Sounds/Fantasia-Demo3.ogg

I've mentioned it before, but don't forget Drum'ica opens the upgrade to Kontakt path. On summer upgrade sale it can knock the price way down.

Yeah I agree Maize is not perfect. I'm planning on redoing all my Maize instruments to make sure that none are disk streaming... well that and to tune samples. If you are giving stuff away it's OK, not sure I'd want to sell based on it though.

Yeah, and Synthedit may require a lot of looking into. It's worth it though.

TX16Wx is free, cross platform, and supports a wide range of formats (AIFC, AIFF, Akai, EXS24, FLAC, OGG, REX, REX2, SF2 (SoundFont), sfz, SoundFont, Typhoon Compressed Audio, WAV).

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/tx16wx- ... ec/details

Seidhepriest wrote:This should give an idea:

http://www.solarstudios.net/Sounds/Maize-Fail.ogg
I don't hear any clicking... I must be deaf! ;)

Zampler RX is the way to go in my opinion. The on board effects are great, the ADSR are very good and solid, plus you can easily map the sample in a free Sfz editor (like BjSampleMapper) to make your own patches. It's free to use, it's programmed by Synapse Audio and it's supported by Beat magazine.

I personally prefer Maize Sampler despite it's quirks. I like it because I can easily make my own GUI in it and there's no 400$ barrier to entry for my customers like Kontakt. The result is much more popular sample libraries than if I would use Kontakt alone.

But I'm working on my Kontakt scripting skills and I'll convert my libraries to Kontakt 5 in the future for wider compatibility.

What're you listening on? Laptop speakers? It's pretty obvious here... Any quick playing is impossible. Its quirks are many, aye.

And yes, the $400 entry roadblock is a major issue.

http://www.zampler.de/ - you mean this? Is there an English version of the site? Can this engine be used for commercial samplers?
Last edited by Seidhepriest on Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onboard effects aren't an issue, anything that supports pan/volume/ADSR/loops is enough.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”