Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can get used M-Audio Delta cards for good prices. Check ebay for example.

madrang wrote:From xfce.org forum ' hotkey for "always on top" ' at https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8231
Create a keyboard shortcut that runs the following command:

Code: Select all

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,above
This will toggle the "Always on top" of the currently active (focused) window.
I am sorry but i dont understands how it relates to my problem.
In the moment i click anywhere in the tracktion, plugin window dissapear. Wmctrl doesnt solve it. Plugins should just stay in the front if they are locked. If switching WM is the solution i'll do it.

Got the same problem with XFCE or Openbox. The plugin windows do not stay in the front. The only window manager I tried which works is i3wm but there are other drawbacks because its a tiling manager.

I have had the hiding plug in window thing for a while, took me a bit to realize what was going on, thought the plug-in was broken (master mix) then realized it was in minimized window at the top of my screen as a tab. Just been living with it.

I have had Tracktion 7 installed and working with Jack for a while now on Linux Mint 18.1

Yesterday when I try and start Jack with qjackctl, I get the error message:

" D-BUS server could not be started." followed by the error log:

14:46:27.996 Statistics reset.
14:46:28.042 ALSA connection change.
14:46:28.156 D-BUS: Service is available (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
14:46:28.189 ALSA connection graph change.

Help, please!

Doug

This probably has nothing to do with Tracktion. Something is wrong with your JACK setup. maybe look on the Ubuntu wiki or forums for help?

strogon14 wrote: Something is wrong with your JACK setup.
Thus my post here. Other T7 Linux users might have run into the same problem.
maybe look on the Ubuntu wiki or forums for help?
Done that as well as looking on linuxmusician.org

And yet my problem remains! :(

One question: do the Master Mix and Synth plugins from the Marketplace run on Linux? On the additional information tab there is only Windows, and Mac as supported platform listed. I'm interested in buying the Mater Mix plugin. Is there a demo available?

Yes, I use them under Linux. Unlocking (even offline) didn't work for me, though, because the plugins didn't show in my list of purchases. Maybe because I bought them as part of a bundle with Tracktion. But Tracktion's support sorted that out pretty quickly.

The plugins basically run in demo mode, until you unlock them. I'm not sure, though, whether you can download them before purchase. You might need an account on tracktion.com or you might need to ask the support.

The master mix plugin is IMHO definitely worth having. The micro synths, hmm, I dunno. There are a lot of better free synths available for Linux, even as native VST plugins. For FM synth you can use Dexed or oxefm and for virtual analog try Helm, Tunefish, OBXD or TAL Noizemakr.

Thanks!

Fails to boot on Manjaro. Using the AUR. A window pops up saying 'initializing audio' and it stays there forever.

How exactly are you supposed to create drum loops in this in linux? I've just been trying to chop a loop up and rearrange and it's pretty clunky, the actual chopping is a bit weird because you have to use the playhead rather than just having a tool to cut where you want, and then I can't see a way to actually see the grid lines so I'm more or less guessing where the parts are going.

So I thought I would try to trigger hits with a midi but the sampler doesn't really seem made for this. I know there are a few multisamplers like the drumkv1 but with this (and others I have tried) it is not possible to preview samples so you actually have to load them in just to see what it sounds like. It gets very tedious quickly. In fact this is one of my biggest peeves with linux audio.

Do I have to use one track per drum hit with a Sampler?

Edit: nevermind, I've figured out how to do it with the edit clips and sample wrapper with the outputs going to separate tracks. Nice 8)
linux

I had been using Linux for many other things except for audio, when I decided to take a look at Linux audio a few years ago (around the time this FAQ was written). I was not a Tracktion user yet, and had a Windows DAW, but I was curious.

I quickly learned that Linux FireWire support was limited, and my device (M-Audio FW410) was not supported by FFADO. So I tried anyway with just the integrated RealTek audio. But I soon gave up hope of doing Linux audio without a supported USB audio interface. So back to Windows...

But just recently I was testing a live Linux boot disk (Kubuntu 17.10.1 x64) on my main machine with the FireWire audio device connected, and I heard my monitors gently pop and my interface come to life. This happened automatically during boot, and I did not install any drivers or activate anything myself! :party:

Then tested with a media player and yes I was getting sound out of this FW-410 from Linux! What a surprise! This is the first time this has ever happened for me, and I have tested a lot of distros over the past few years.

I did not dig deep enough into the live distro to see what was active as far as audio, but I may be curious enough to install this distro on a spare hard drive and see if I can get Waveform working.

I realize that just because Linux may be able to access the audio hardware OK, that the prerequisites Tracktion needs may be lacking. Maybe if I get a quiet weekend soon I will test this... :band:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

By all means, test it and see how what Waveform runs. I have been using Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and even though I had to fool around I got it to see my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra which was useless to me before from lack of windows support. it's still a good interface otherwise...now I can use it on this machine.
However I am getting so many crashes with Waveform that I cannot use it. The error log just says "killing thread by force"....I am hoping that the new version 9.1 might help and I am about to install it.
Mark Swanson, guitarist and luthier
Click to visit Swanson Guitars
http://www.MarkSwansonMusic.com

Mark Swanson wrote:By all means, test it and see how what Waveform runs. I have been using Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and even though I had to fool around I got it to see my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra which was useless to me before from lack of windows support. it's still a good interface otherwise...now I can use it on this machine.
However I am getting so many crashes with Waveform that I cannot use it. The error log just says "killing thread by force"....I am hoping that the new version 9.1 might help and I am about to install it.
Thanks for the feedback!

The M-Audio Fast Track is a USB interface, so that would be a completely different issue. Driver support is the key to hardware devices working under Linux, and USB is well supported in Linux. I would assume your issue is related to specific audio device drivers. My issue has been with using a FireWire interface in Linux. However, good luck with your legacy device!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Tracktion”