Shattered Glass Audio releases SGA1566 - free, circuit simulation powered preamp plug-in

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SGA1566 SGA1566 MkII

SGA1566 is loosely based on a single channel vintage, two stage, all tube, preamplifier.
To achieve the most authentic analog sound, the whole circuit is simulated in real time using the high performance circuit simulator. However, this level of sound fidelity comes at a price of high CPU utilization. For cases where such a CPU hit is prohibitive, we have added a model that is significantly less CPU intensive, but less accurate than the circuit simulation.

Use SGA1566 to add warmth to a track, as a saturation compressor, or to add "dirt" with tube overdrive.

You can download SGA1566, user manual, and hear sound samples at http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/product.php?id=104.

Enjoy!

Thanks for this, has a good feature set (the pre/post EQ is a good addition), good usability and GUI and sounds nice! High CPU is really a bit insane, though...

This thing sounds fantastic! Love the circuit simulation, although the low CPU model is really close especially when it does not distort much, almost identical for cleans.
CPU use in HIGH CPU setting is about the same as the CPU use for Tube Saturator, no surprises there.
Pre/post EQ is a nice feature.

My cone cern was that inorder to pre-sizely recreate the analogue desk sound it will use too much cpu.

But Steven is very very VERY pour sistant. so he send me schematics and I was able to make him a test Plahgin that was mainly based on component modellhing. and the reso-lts were... bbhhhpphhh

One test plugin maxed out my entire quadcore, at 44.1kHz

so Fabrice won the first round, and I.... I let it go.

... Ummm... no, wait...

That was Steven and Fabrice talking about the first test plugin of VCC.

But hey, the text applies here one to one, so I said "what the hell"... :lol:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Oh, I would seriously consider calling this plugin (for dudes with inferior machines) SGA1566 PRO (hibitive) :wink:
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

I'm getting an inferiority complex.... my PC suddenly feels obsolete. Funny though the only plug that gives me this kind of trouble is Synth Squad in Fusor mode, even then it's just rice crispies(you know snap, crackle and pop!). This thing just launches from the top rope and body slams it to the ground. :(

@Kevin
That's why there is a Low CPU mode. Low CPU mode is about 2-3 times faster than High CPU mode. Oversampling Low CPU mode greatly helps with accuracy and the sound quality.
Set STEREO switch to OFF if you track is mono. That should half the CPU usage.
We have tested performance of SGA1566 on a five year old laptop, with Intel Core 2 Duo @2.4 GHz CPU, and mediocre sound chip, running 32-bit XP using ASIO4ALL. On that machine we were able to run SGA1566 in real time in High CPU mode with no oversampling on a stereo, 48 kHz sampling rate, project.

SGA wrote:@Kevin
That's why there is a Low CPU mode. Low CPU mode is about 2-3 times faster than High CPU mode. Oversampling Low CPU mode greatly helps with accuracy and the sound quality.
We have tested performance of SGA1566 on a five year old laptop, with Intel Core 2 Duo @2.4 GHz CPU, and mediocre sound chip, running 32-bit XP using ASIO4ALL. On that machine we were able to run SGA1566 in real time in High CPU mode with no oversampling on a stereo, 48 kHz sampling rate, project.
I saw your warning about the high CPU hit so I started in LOW mode/stereo( stereo track) CPU was 49% without doing anything. The DAW (Orion) is set to stop sound engine at 75%. Full stop as soon as I hit transport. No prob I have other saturation tools that work fine for me. I'm sure SGA1566 is a fine plug, but I just don't have the guns to run it. Pentium dual core E6700 @3.20ghz 6gb ram. 64bit OS in 32 bit mode Windows 7.

Kevin Deas wrote:
SGA wrote:@Kevin
I saw your warning about the high CPU hit so I started in LOW mode/stereo( stereo track) CPU was 49% without doing anything. The DAW (Orion) is set to stop sound engine at 75%. Full stop as soon as I hit transport. No prob I have other saturation tools that work fine for me. I'm sure SGA1566 is a fine plug, but I just don't have the guns to run it. Pentium dual core E6700 @3.20ghz 6gb ram. 64bit OS in 32 bit mode Windows 7.
M-Audio Ozone at 44khz.

Will try it out soon! Sounds nice and crisp.

Official review: WOW :clap:
Sounds fantastic even in lowered quality mode. I only saw a need to use high quality mode when driven extremely hard.
It doesn't add sheen (as far as I've listened), but it does saturate very well! I like how it's extremely simple to use also :tu: Thanks!

Using 96khz samplerate, CPU use is very high, about 1/8 of my 3.2ghz quad core, on lowered quality setting and no oversampling, and mono mode.
Last edited by camsr on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you for building for Mac! I will test it later tonight.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

SGA wrote:Oversampling Low CPU mode greatly helps with accuracy and the sound quality.
That seem to do the trick on my system (Quad 9550).

Thanks !

BTW

OS seem to alter the sound quite drastically (to my ears). this can pose a problem upon bouncing...
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Anyone else having problems with the 64 bit dll loading? 32 bit loads but both Reaper 64 and Vegas 64 won't load the 64 bit...

There is a new version of SGA1566 that addresses the issue of tone change when oversampling. You can download it at: http://www.shatteredglassaudio.com/product.php?id=104.

Return to “Effects”