Presswerk Public Beta

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

u-he proudly presents Presswerk:

After Satin, Presswerk is our second construction kit, this time for all sorts of classical compressors. It's got a large number of parameters and use cases. To make things easy - or less intimidating - Presswerk comes with a set of "vintage views" which limit its parameters to common use scenarios. With those you'll feel at home immediately, and you can always go back to the full parameter set if you need more saturation or a less gentle knee. And of course, you can use Presswerk to create your own compressor that never was.

Most importantly, some vintage views allow for the display of sticker graphics to remind you which track you're on!

Top: Normal operation mode with all parameters (full size screenshot)
Left: Vintage view matching an Optical Levelling Amplifier (full size screenshot)
Middle: Operation mode as classical FET compressor (full size screenshot)
Right: Operation mode as Tube Limiter (full size screenshot)

A few features:
  • Switchable UI modes gives you the choice of easy operation (inspired by 3 well known classic devices) or access to all the controls and oversee every nuance of the sound.
  • Selectable topology (feed-forward, feed-back, signal-interactive) - be surgical, musical or both at the same time.
  • Control the pre- or post-saturation stage, 'warmth', and momentary compression amounts to create impressive emulations of nonlinear gain-control devices.
  • Switchable 'Analog' mode to recreate the phase response and transient behaviour of classic outboard gear
As so often, we wish to finish our development process with an extensive period of public beta testing. This thing has already been used in a bunch of productions and it's done a decent job. We think it's safe to download, install and run. However, there's a number of left over known issues which we'll tackle shortly, and during that time we'd like your input regarding almost anything - bugs, praise, bickering, demo songs. Needless to say, if you fins a groundbreaking setting or if Presswerk was just the last ingredient your new hit single needed, we're happy to know.

Presswerk Rev. 2999 Win Beta
Presswerk Rev. 2999 Mac Beta

Temp serial no. (valid till just after x-mas):
Beta Tester (user name)
3GC8O-SLHM1-MYP6-0420-2NXM (serial)

or, if you're impatient, go to http://tinyurl.com/pc35nrr and buy a license right away!

Enjoy,

- Urs

Known Issues:

[1501] Labels: Menu also contains old Stickers (Win only)
[1513] Audio Units: Data Display shows irritating values on FET view
[1420] Crash on quitting Host or closing GUI when having multiple dialogs open (Win only)
[234] Knob movement is not consistent on all knobs.
[Framework / ALL products:] AAX crash when re-ordering plugins in the host
[Framework / ALL products (Mac):] When saving a preset, closing the plugin in the main window does not work; should be closed elsewhere within the host, currently
[1297] MIDI Program change numbers disappeared from data display
[1491] Flickery x y compression panel (please monitor whether this is still the case)
[1433] Audio Units: Closing GUI activates 'Back to Arrangement' button in Ableton (This stops automation playback)
[1434] SideChain Input naming is not consistent (OS X)
0001522 Sticker / Labels: Some Stickers + Labels show Format error when using multiple instances
0001513 Audio Units/AAX: Data Display may show irritating values
0001495 Plug-In not reporting proper units to Host
0001490 VST: Automation of FB mode is not possible when mapping control in Live
0001484 Sticker is out of frame and leaves remnants when getting moved
0001474 Text size not scaled with sticker size -> Vari-Mu limiter view
0001521 Vari-mu: Stereo / M/S also showing On / Off in Data Display
0001518 Data Display glitch when typing into text box with embedded GUI (Reaper 4731 64 bit, AU/VST 64 Bit)
0001494 Touch link: Locked states not updating correctly / text is broken

Todos:

[1418] Installer: Add ReadMe
[1419] Installer: Change installer name (Windows)
[1453] Copy / Paste feature
[1452] Finalize Presswerk user guide
[1493] Replace "Nix Sticker" with proper image

quick question, i assume the "normal mode" is able to replicate the sound of every other mode?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Dude :wheee: Dude :wheee:
Any info about the price yet?

Justus

Burillo wrote:the "normal mode" is able to replicate the sound of every other mode?
Sure. :)
JustusHall wrote:price
$89 intro, $129 regular.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

Congrats.......off to download now.
rsp
sound sculptist

Burillo wrote:quick question, i assume the "normal mode" is able to replicate the sound of every other mode?
Yes, when you switch from any of the other modes back, you have the exact settings (if it sever sounds different switching back and forth between "normal" and any of the other modes, please save a preset and send us a bug report!)

Important: While the modes are disturbingly close to the original hardware, they are of course not exact replica on component level. First of all, the parameter ranges are wider. You can choose faster attacks and/or higher ratios. Secondly, there are subtle differences, e.g. the original FET hardware has a bass attenuation that Presswerk doesn't have. We don't want to replace any vintage emulations, but we want to complement those common use cases with Presswerk's own sound.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
─██████──██████────────────────██████──██████─██████████████─
─██░░██──██░░██────────────────██░░██──██░░██─██░░░░░░░░░░██─
─██░░██──██░░██────────────────██░░██──██░░██─██░░██████████─
─██░░██──██░░██────────────────██░░██──██░░██─██░░██─────────
─██░░██──██░░██─██████████████─██░░██████░░██─██░░██████████─
─██░░██──██░░██─██░░░░░░░░░░██─██░░░░░░░░░░██─██░░░░░░░░░░██─
─██░░██──██░░██─██████████████─██░░██████░░██─██░░██████████─
─██░░██──██░░██────────────────██░░██──██░░██─██░░██─────────
─██░░██████░░██────────────────██░░██──██░░██─██░░██████████─
─██░░░░░░░░░░██────────────────██░░██──██░░██─██░░░░░░░░░░██─
─██████████████────────────────██████──██████─██████████████─
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
╱╱╱╱╱╭╮
╱╱╱╱╱┃┃
╭━┳╮╭┫┃╭━━┳━━╮
┃╭┫┃┃┃┃┃┃━┫━━┫
┃┃┃╰╯┃╰┫┃━╋━━┃
╰╯╰━━┻━┻━━┻━━╯

God that's sexy.

hi urs, please give us a secret link to buy it already as you did with the bazille beta :pray:

Gosh wrote:hi urs, please give us a secret link to buy it already as you did with the bazille beta :pray:
We would like to be allowed the decency to wait till Monday before we post that link :clown:

Love the manual:
presswerk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I've been fortunate enough to have a play with Presswerk some time before and I can say, it's awesome! :clap:
I think it will surely replace my current go-to compressor (DC8C 2)

It's great and it looks awesome too, congrats u-he team! ... this feels more like the release to me not a public beta. :hihi:

That M/S mode is very helpful for bus compression too! (DC8C 2 currently doesn't have that)

That Vari-Mu :) Thanks Urs and team.

Is the mid /side mode switch of the vari-Mu broken it's still in left /right mode.
Nevermind my speakers are in bad positions to test mid / Side.
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

that GUI looks phenomenal... :o

First things first: Sounds bloody awesome, looks frickin' good and is great to use.

One thing that irritates me though i don't know whether that is a bug or a feature:
Say I select FET Mode first, change some settings to get the state i like, then change to Vari-Mu, then change back to FET: the settings for attack and ration have changed. Now I change from FET to Opto and back: pretty much all the settings have changed, it sounds completely different than before. Being used to DC8C I am used to each compressor mode keeping its own state so that switching back and forth between the models don't change any local settings. From a user perspective this is better imo.

One thing i think is a minor bug. Where should I report that?

Return to “u-he”