Guitar Multi FX VST

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
869 posts since 24 Nov, 2011

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:48 am

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience w/ Guitar multi effect processor VST's. I downloaded the free Amplitube 3 but I don't see any effects on that. Also, how does Guitar Rig compare to Amplitube 3.

User avatar
KVRAF
10071 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:02 am

Hi,
I have three main ones.
I should start by saying, that I am still not really happy with any of them so I went back to hardware :-)

The three that I have are Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig 5 and Overloud TH-2 ( I have demo'ed quite a few more, some often mentioned here, Revalver (although I haven't demo'ed the new one recently released), Studio Devil stuff and a few others I can't remember.....none of those that I demo'ed blew me away to make them go on my must have list, ymmv)):

Guitar Rig for me is the easiest to use by far.....love the GUI and its great for very unusual guitar sounds.
TH-2 sounds the best to me but its the GUI I dislike the most.
Amplitube 3 to me was just ok. Better sounding that Guitar Rig, but not as nice as TH-2. GUI that was spoke to me more than TH-2 but not nearly as much as Guitar Rig.

I gave up on finding a software solution and bought a Boss GT-100 instead. I usually use clean tones. When I need overdrived/distorted tones I think most times I prefer the TH-2 than the GT-100.

rsp
sound sculptist

User avatar
KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:09 am

Line 6 Podfarm is pretty good, but I dunno if there is free version of that?

User avatar
KVRAF
21404 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:10 am

Amplitube should have effects in it since it's a full-blown guitar recording suite. Reading the manual could help :)

KVRian

Topic Starter

869 posts since 24 Nov, 2011

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:19 am

Thanks for the info. I had a sales rep recommend the GT 100. I'm looking for something a little more compact w/ MIDI capabilities. Something about the size of the M5 by Line 6. I might have to check in to the Podfarm.

Also, I just figured out how to load the presets. I'm liking the EQ so far in Amplitube

User avatar
KVRAF
10071 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:31 am

There is a GT-001 I think that is way more compact, with midi and has the same algorithms and processing like the GT-100 I hear.

Please check out Podfarm for yourself. Taste is very personal, I have owned (and still own) several line6 guitar products .

rsp

edit: just realise my line6 products that I bought list does include podfarm and there is an update, I am going to try it.
sound sculptist

User avatar
KVRAF
3798 posts since 6 Nov, 2009

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:35 am

Numanoid wrote:Line 6 Podfarm is pretty good, but I dunno if there is free version of that?
Yes, a free unlimited demo

User avatar
KVRAF
10071 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:36 am

zvenx wrote:Hi,
I have three main ones.
I should start by saying, that I am still not really happy with any of them so I went back to hardware :-)

The three that I have are Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig 5 and Overloud TH-2 ( I have demo'ed quite a few more, some often mentioned here, Revalver (although I haven't demo'ed the new one recently released), Studio Devil stuff and a few others I can't remember.....none of those that I demo'ed blew me away to make them go on my must have list, ymmv)):

Guitar Rig for me is the easiest to use by far.....love the GUI and its great for very unusual guitar sounds.
TH-2 sounds the best to me but its the GUI I dislike the most.
Amplitube 3 to me was just ok. Better sounding that Guitar Rig, but not as nice as TH-2. GUI that was spoke to me more than TH-2 but not nearly as much as Guitar Rig.

I gave up on finding a software solution and bought a Boss GT-100 instead. I usually use clean tones. When I need overdrived/distorted tones I think most times I prefer the TH-2 than the GT-100.

rsp

Amazing the ears and taste. I decided to try Bias (it was ok, but at least the demo doesn't really come with effects, just pre-amps, cabinets etc) and decided to listen to the three I mention above. I haven't really played with them in almost a year since I bought the GT-100. My ears really have changed. Now the Guitar Rig Pro 5 sounds by far the best, the TH-2 second and I really don't like the sound of Amplitube 3 much anymore.

Moral of the story for me? Try try try with your own ears in your own usage.

rsp
sound sculptist

KVRian
1032 posts since 17 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:47 am

Numanoid wrote:Line 6 Podfarm is pretty good, but I dunno if there is free version of that?
Ironically, they are known for their amp sims, which to me are fizzy, lifeless, lacking in details, don't respond well to picking dynamics, and just doesn't sound good to me.

But in spite of the old code, I like the Line 6 fx better than all of the alternatives. They just have a certain depth to them than the others lack. I also like the layout and GUI better. Plus they all sync to your host, which is helpful for delays, predelays, and modulation fx that are sensitive to the tempo.

I bought Line 6 POD farm just for the fx after using the free Line 6 elements and haven't looked bad. I never use the amp sims/cabs though because I think they sound horrible.

KVRAF
8000 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:16 pm

djmino02 wrote:Hey, I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience w/ Guitar multi effect processor VST's. I downloaded the free Amplitube 3 but I don't see any effects on that. Also, how does Guitar Rig compare to Amplitube 3.
z3ta+ from Cakewalk includes a multi-FX .dll, that is excellent for guitar.
I think it is unchanged between V1.5 and V2.x, so look for it on one of the
frequent Cakewalk sales, and consider the synth as a freebie thrown in box
at the last second. :hihi:

KVRist
248 posts since 4 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:24 am

Get yourself some good virtual amps. Scuffham SGear would be my choice. Sold Amplitube 3 last month, Guitar Rig is meh for basic sounds (but good for experimental shit).

User avatar
KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:27 am

AC222 wrote:But in spite of the old code, I like the Line 6 fx better than all of the alternatives.
The Analog Square Chorus in Pod Farm 2 is the best I have yet to try :tu:

KVRian
1032 posts since 17 Jun, 2012

Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:00 am

Ha. Thanks for the shout, Numanoid. Best boss chorus around! :tu:

KVRAF
2066 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:36 pm

djmino02 wrote:Thanks for the info. I had a sales rep recommend the GT 100. I'm looking for something a little more compact w/ MIDI capabilities. Something about the size of the M5 by Line 6. I might have to check in to the Podfarm.
There's a lot to be said for the programmability of the Boss GT series (I have a GT-3 and used to own a GT-6B). Unless they've changed the underlying system every single parameter can be mapped however you want. If you're just recording that's not such a big deal, but if you also play live the GTs are great, with the total equaling more than the sum of its parts IMO.

I have and love Guitar Rig 5, but I wish you could view FX horizontally as pedals as well, rather than just the vertical rack view. If you're on a Mac the Logic/MainStage amps & pedalboard are excellent too, but of course they are tied to those hosts. It's been a few years since I used Amplitube 2, I remember being impressed more by the amps than the FX.

User avatar
KVRAF
32364 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:50 pm

glokraw wrote:
djmino02 wrote:Hey, I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience w/ Guitar multi effect processor VST's. I downloaded the free Amplitube 3 but I don't see any effects on that. Also, how does Guitar Rig compare to Amplitube 3.
z3ta+ from Cakewalk includes a multi-FX .dll, that is excellent for guitar.
I think it is unchanged between V1.5 and V2.x, so look for it on one of the
frequent Cakewalk sales, and consider the synth as a freebie thrown in box
at the last second. :hihi:
I have z3ta 2 and it doesn't come in an fx version.

Return to “Effects”