Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi abique, could you please separate zebra2, zebrify, zebralette, and zrev? like in windows version?

Hello

I have a problem using u-he synths on Gnome/Mate/Budgie

Anything that involves a drop down text menu doesn't work. So, take for instance the Podolski - the WarpMod, TuneMod, PhaseMod... the Sync Left and Sync Right etc etc do not respond to a mouse click.

The only way they can be changed is via Bitwig's plugin interface, by turning the knob there - although not all parameters are accessible from here so it is limiting.

I also encountered this when trying to register my copy of Presswerk - the "enter your serial" button does nothing and the serial must be manually entered.

I was using Ubuntu Budgie when I first noticed this, so I installed Ubuntu Gnome and the problem persisted, installed MATE and the problem is still there. It also occurs if I load the plugins with Ardour.

I tried an alternative machine that is running XFCE and this problem does not occur.

Does anyone have any ideas about a solution?
thank you!

Adrienne
C

I've had good success using Mint and pclinuxos with Enlightenment gui,
and lately the linux version of Reaper. Menus/controls working fine.
I use 'E' instead of lxde/openbox, xfce, or cinnamon, but those also work
displaying U-he plugins. Most window managers are pretty small installs,
and can be selected in the session manager at login time on a temporary
basis for testing, or for a specific purpose, such as daw work.
Try a few and see if things improve.

A good videocard will be lucky in the long run, as synths present ever
more options, and ways to access them. pclinuxos has solid integration
of nvidia drivers, a real plus, that can't be said for many linux distributions.
Using Mint has been pretty smooth with the nouveau video driver.
Mint is ubuntu cake with some icing and candies, but I added the
Enlightenment repository, for the ergonomic and mental health benefits
of a using great interface.
Cheers

darksidedave wrote:I previously had Podolski (and demo of Zebra) installed on Linux and it worked fine after applying the fix described a few pages back. I had to make a new installation last week and installed Podolski on a fresh Xubuntu 17.04. I had the GUI-problem with the non-showing context menus and the selection-boxes missing. I applied the script from a couple of pages back in this thread, but it did not solve the problem unfortunately. I also tried deleting the dialog.*.* files and reapplying the script as suggested in this thread, but that also did not work.

Running dialog.64.real from the terminal yields an error: "3: exec: ~/.u-he/Podolski/dialog.64.real.real: not found".

Does anybody have an idea on what to do? (before I found this thread I discussed this issue on https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxaudio/com ... _boxes_in/ , but they pointed me here)
Hi Dave,

I'm having the same issues with Ubuntu Gnome 17.04, but also any window manager I try (Cinnamon, MATE, Enlightenment, Budgie etc) - the bug is WM-agnostic.

Like you I tried to apply the patch but in my case it made the plugins highly unstable and they would crash within a few clicks on the interface.

So I reinstalled them and now they work okay, but without context menus. I am hoping for a solution, because I love these plugins.

Adrienne

At the moment, I have zebra and podolski each loaded in both
linux reaper 5.413, and linux bitwig 1.35, all menus working.

This is in Mint 18, using E21 window-manager.
Same is true in pclinuxos, and I've never used
any patch.

I'm assuming you have a good vst host software, as these are plugins,
and not standalone executables. If not, linux Reaper
is available for testing at the landoleet website.
Cheers

Thanks Glokraw,

I think that the issue exists in Ubuntu 17.04 and is not affected by window manager or DAW.

I am sure it will be fixed going forward. Good reason not to install updates.

Hi there,

I encountered a problem again with using zebra2 with mixbus4 / ardour5.1

the plugin works well but when i right click and want to use the menu to insert a oscillator etc.. the menu disappears and i cant click or select anything.. any idea how to circumvent this?

this happens here on linux mint (ubuntu ) and on manjaro, both xfce

PS: it all works well in bitwigstudio2....

I found the fix in this thread (someone pointed it to me on the ardour irc channel, hahaha..) and it works with the script!! will this be implemented into future releases? Also I have an issue with the window scaling: changing the scale just works when i restart the whole program. that is a minor issue. but I usually work on two screens with different resolutions (4k and 1080p) and would love to scale the gui without restarting everything...

Thanks for bringing this outstanding software to linux!! and looking forward to zebra3 ;)

tusk wrote:I think that the issue exists in Ubuntu 17.04 and is not affected by window manager or DAW.
I can confirm that the right-click menus in the U-He plugins no longer pop up for me either, in Ubuntu GNOME 17.04. Hopefully Abique is not too busy on the Bitwig project to look at this. :)
calimerox wrote:I found the fix in this thread (someone pointed it to me on the ardour irc channel, hahaha..) and it works with the script!!
Doesn't seem to work for me :( No pop-up menus inside the u-he plugins. Other plugins, like Pianoteq, works as normal.

My setup:
Ubuntu GNOME 17.04, 64bit
Bitwig 2.1.2

(Just for the record for new readers: The mentioned script is at page 55-56).
Last edited by Beamboom on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zebra at rest on ardour takes 50% of a core. Is this normal? Are these uhe synths running wine in the background?

I would suggest that you check your Jack settings, small buffer sizes lead to high CPU utilization. When mixing I'm running 3 buffers at 2048 bytes buffer size which leads to much lower CPU load.

Hi all! I am having lots of fun with the u-he demos on Linux; however, before pulling the trigger and buying a plugin I have a couple of questions regarding support (sorry if they have been covered in some sort of FAQ):
  • Does buying a U-HE plugin with a Linux version guarantee that Linux support won't be removed in the future?
  • I ran into a few bugs while using the demos, however the webpage says that Linux is not supported. Does that mean that I cannot even report such bugs ?
Thanks!

Good questions.

I already pulled the trigger a long time ago but would like to know if that was a wise decision..

/Anders

ejgallego wrote:[*]I ran into a few bugs while using the demos, however the webpage says that Linux is not supported. Does that mean that I cannot even report such bugs ?[/list]
Thanks!
I'm not a U-He representative, but I don't believe they will have anything against you reporting a bug with the Linux version via their support - they will probably forward it to the guy who does the Linux porting ("Abique" here on the forums, Alexandre in real life). However it's also become quite common to post such issues here in this very thread.

It's been awfully quiet from Abique here these past months though. I must admit that is starting to be a bit disconcerting. The last plugin update was now more than a year ago, April 2016.

Return to “u-he”