2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

some fun:

https://soundcloud.com/2caudio/wip

using an unreleased version of KS (as a synth), another unreleased thing of ours, and a little Breeze 2...

or with more pulse:

https://soundcloud.com/2caudio/wip2

just for fun in case you needed something to help you wake up this morning. :borg:

Chris R Gibson ( a.k.a. Loopy C )
https://soundcloud.com/loopy-c

Ambient groove demo track using a single instance of Kaleidoscope which processes all involved audio inputs (simple drum beat, white noise with filter/amplitude modulation, guitar feedbacks), in the middle part there is some send automation to a second instance (same preset with a different root note) and then back to the first instance. Kaleidoscope is processed by MTurboReverb which has some side-chained ducking going on (via the hihat sound in the drum groove).

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... -patchpool

I have a simple, probably naïve question. I would like to try this experiment: taking a sonogram from a single note of a real sound (a tuned plucked string instrument) and, by using the white noise as the source sound, importing the image of that sonogram in Kaleidoscope in order to resynthesize that same sound as closely as possible by using the proper image resizing (PNG, 1024 x 1024, but with the sonogram occupying only the first lower 128 lines, will this be correct?), the proper lowest and highest frequencies (the same as in the original sonogram, of course; should I use the method called "Waveform Min Max Hertz"?) the proper number of resonators (128 spring resonators, I suppose?), the proper tuning (will a waveform from the original sound be the best choice? Or do I need to write myself a tuning file each time for each sonogram I try with?) and so on.
Could you please explain me, step by step, how to do this?

My ultimate purpose is not to resynthesize a sound (though I would really start by doing so, for the sake of clarity), but, starting from it, to apply its sonogram, now coded as a set of resonators, to a different source sound (not white noise), in order to obtain a sort of spectral hybrid (the new source sound entering Kaleidoscope will be "colored" by the resonances taken from the sonogram of the second sound, so to speak).

I would really need a step-by-step guide to do this, if any of you can help… Thank you!

P.S.: (Edit:) so far, I obtained a first almost acceptable result by using:
- Resonator: Spring (1)
- PNG, 1024 x 1024, but with the sonogram occupying only the first lower 128 lines
- tuning with Musical Note, Logarithmic, Harmonics; root note set to the same as in the sonogram; uppermost and lowermost frequency limits set by Hi Cut and Lo Cut
- A rather high Feedback value (76, in my case)
- Mod, Soft, and moreover Partials carefully set as needed
- No Duplicates (value = 1)
- Using the Static Mod Mode instead of the Dynamic one removes the envelope from the sonogram and passes the envelope from the source sound (the actual audio entering Kaleidoscope), which becomes colored by the average spectrum from the sonogram.
Using the Dynamic Mod Mode keeps also the envelope from the sonogram.

What do you think?

Youve just described vocoding
Amazon: why not use an alternative

:wink: Yes, I know… more or less… but not exactly, since resonators have their own properties, and the envelope decays and the phase issues are treated differently.
Actually, precisely tuned resonators (as in this case), true vocoders, sound morphing, cross-synthesis with the source/filter model, cross-resynthesis of the sound parameters with a synth and image filtering are all different ways to obtain spectral hybrids and I believe that each of them has its own flavor and features.
I find all of them useful and I like very much to use all of them. Sometimes a result comes out bad with one technique and good with another.
Besides, Kaleidoscope has its own sound and so many possibilities that I would also love to learn to start from this basic situation and then – when I master it – invent creative variations of it, using the unique features of this software.

Just a bump until i lost track of this thread :D
Still one of the most unique tools and just amazing what kind of soundscapes and polyrhythmic pads (and other things of course) this thing can create.
I hope the mysterious huge update is coming soon (soon could mean at least in 2019 :) ).
I still want my head to explode :borg:
It´s indeed still a deep trip and always gives me some awe.

Thanks for the reminder. I plan a whole album based on the sounds of Kaleidoscope (plus rhythms and melodic licks). Hope that concept works out...

hi - just wondering if there is any plan to add more resonator types or offer control over the resonators in other ways? i find i get only a handful of types of sounds out of Kaleidoscope. it has a distinct flavor to it that's pretty identifiable to me. comb filtery ambience resonator things, short delay karplus type stuff.. crunchy FIR stuff.

i always quit it in frustration as it doesn't really fit what i do and i can't find a place for it. also it always loses sync in logic and i get the audio midi whatever it is error when i'm looping a part and making changes to Kaleidoscope.

it's capable of some interesting things and is unique in lot's of ways but the earthy ambient world music yoga studio mellowness of it kinda sours me. it may just be the wrong plug in for me though i dive in it now and then.

Hi,

We did quite a lot of work on the next generation of KS already in 2016-2017. We were almost done with a major effort before we switched to Breeze 2.0, but for reasons out of my control we decided to switch to Breeze 2.0 and complete that first.

We are just about done with a new product at the moment, and a free update to Breeze 2, and following that we hope to give some love and attention to Kaleidoscope once again and finish what we started. What we have already (in this unreleased version) is quite mind-blowing -- although it is still rather unstable. The general RnD and math/dsp of all the new features has been done for a while. The GUI was basically done too, but that was 2 years ago, and done with our previous image/png based gui system, so now we have to take time to rebuild the GUI completely with our fancy new procedural system.

We hope to see a major KS update sometime next year. That is the current hope/plan. I think you will be pleased with the direction it will go and find its applications even more diverse than the current potential. It is capable of a lot more than pure ambient material for sure...

(althougt I do love me some KS -> B2 for ambient bliss, and that's never gonna change. :D )

Thank you very much, Andrew, for your great work on this and all your incredible products! I really think that they meet impressive quality standards, too. I don't know if you can anticipate that, but… will the new version still be able to do everything that the present-day Kaleidoscope is doing now? And – related, but different question – will we be able to use also our old presets on the new version?

XComposer wrote:Thank you very much, Andrew, for your great work on this and all your incredible products! I really think that they meet impressive quality standards, too.
thanks!
XComposer wrote: I don't know if you can anticipate that, but… will the new version still be able to do everything that the present-day Kaleidoscope is doing now?
yes of course.
XComposer wrote: And – related, but different question – will we be able to use also our old presets on the new version?
yes, in one way or another, definitely...

I don't know yet what the exact scheduling is for the next KS, but it will come, and it will be very cool for sure...

With the current version of KS, I find that more often than not, I’m rendering out a chunk of processed audio and then loading that into a sampler or granular engine for further manipulation. It’s a great combination. Of course I’m still eagerly awaiting the next major release...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Andrew Souter wrote:Hi,

We did quite a lot of work on the next generation of KS already in 2016-2017. We were almost done with a major effort before we switched to Breeze 2.0, but for reasons out of my control we decided to switch to Breeze 2.0 and complete that first.

We are just about done with a new product at the moment, and a free update to Breeze 2, and following that we hope to give some love and attention to Kaleidoscope once again and finish what we started. What we have already (in this unreleased version) is quite mind-blowing -- although it is still rather unstable. The general RnD and math/dsp of all the new features has been done for a while. The GUI was basically done too, but that was 2 years ago, and done with our previous image/png based gui system, so now we have to take time to rebuild the GUI completely with our fancy new procedural system.

We hope to see a major KS update sometime next year. That is the current hope/plan. I think you will be pleased with the direction it will go and find its applications even more diverse than the current potential. It is capable of a lot more than pure ambient material for sure...

(althougt I do love me some KS -> B2 for ambient bliss, and that's never gonna change. :D )
thanks for the info. that's encouraging!

B2 is amazing btw. such an inspiring processor.

dayjob wrote:
B2 is amazing btw. such an inspiring processor.
Thanks kindly. :tu:

Return to “Effects”