First semi-finished Mux effect: Note Controlled Effect Gate (v4 uploaded, audio demo available )

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MuLab Plugin

So, I have made my first kind of finished effect in MUX...

The effect is a Note Controlled Effect Gate (NCEG).

Audio demo: https://hearthis.at/MWThygBP/ncegdemo1/

Basically you feed it audio which is then routed through a bunch of racks depending which note you play.
The idea started a few weeks ago when I was missing an advanced "trance gate". I've thought about picking up VST programming (actually took a course in it over 10 years ago...) but haven't found the time yet so I tried implementing something similar with Mux.

I think the result came out very well!
Haven't checked CPU hit if you use a lot of effects in the racks... Without effects it seems virtually invisible.

Since it needs both audio and Midi to work the process to get it to work inside a DAW may however be a bit clunky... It's of course possible to hook it up with a sequencer but I liked the flexibility of just using notes...
In the textfile accompaning the mux I've added how to use it in Reaper. If anyone is trying this out it would be kind to provide steps on how to use it in your DAW so I could add it to the file once I "release" it to the KVR patch library.
Any kind of feedback is also welcome and of course feel free to use, abuse and remix.

Working with this I of course came up with a bunch of workflow related feature requests... But I'll write them down some other time :)

Good night, all!

EDIT: Added new version!

EDIT2: Version 3 added. Features Velocity sensitive gating.

EDIT3: Version 4 added. Now note events are sent to racks so that for example envelope controlled effects will work.
Removed versions 1 and 2...

EDIT4: Added audio demo...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mehum on Fri May 01, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.

thank you

runaudio wrote:thank you
No problem :)

I would love some feedback regarding how it works in MuLab as well since I guess most Mux-users are also MuLab users.

I cant give much feedback other than to say it works good in Mulab, once I understood what was happening it was fairly easy to setup. I noticed 2 things...
I had my Audio file looping, had 1 effect on Rack 'C' and 1 effect on Rack 'C#' and when pressing C + C# together the total volume went up, did I miss something or is that an unfortunate side effect?

notes A, A# and B dont give any sound as they are routed to separate 'Audio Outs'
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:I cant give much feedback other than to say it works good in Mulab, once I understood what was happening it was fairly easy to setup. I noticed 2 things...
I had my Audio file looping, had 1 effect on Rack 'C' and 1 effect on Rack 'C#' and when pressing C + C# together the total volume went up, did I miss something or is that an unfortunate side effect?

notes A, A# and B dont give any sound as they are routed to separate 'Audio Outs'
Thanks a lot for trying it out!

1. That is a side effect... Perhaps it's possible to sort out in some way but the theoretically possible variants I can think of would yield other side effects, I think... However, this may be used to your advantage for accents so as long as you know how it works it might be OK :)

2. This is by design, I thought it could be nice to route a gate to an effect bus in the DAW to make us of a common reverb or delay. Perhaps some controls for these would be good and also make it more visible.

I'll look into it for next version! Thanks for pointing the quirks out!

No problem thanks for sharing it :)
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Nice work!
I like the use of racks here.
Better than my solution in the Live Effects patch.

Thanks for this mehum :tu:

As of now I only tried it on a drum loop in MuLab
but it worked like a charm :D

Cheers :party:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

AndreasD wrote:Nice work!
I like the use of racks here.
Better than my solution in the Live Effects patch.
Thanks! I'll have to check your patches out! Haven't had time to look into any other patches, really... I get too hooked on working on my own :)
sbj wrote:Thanks for this mehum :tu:

As of now I only tried it on a drum loop in MuLab
but it worked like a charm :D

Cheers :party:
Great! I hope you find it useful! Any features you think a "normal" user (i.e. not one wanting to make use of the modularity too much) would like to have? My aim is to make it as easy to use as possible but still have a lot of options...

mehum wrote:Great! I hope you find it useful! Any features you think a "normal" user (i.e. not one wanting to make use of the modularity too much) would like to have? My aim is to make it as easy to use as possible but still have a lot of options...
I think with the Rack Modules where we can put the FX's we want this has
many, many possibilities already.

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

I have uploaded an updated version.
This has balance controls for racks A, A# and B.
This way it's perhaps a bit more clear why those notes will be silent and gives a bit more flexibility.
Of course added as Meta-params as well so they become automatable in host.

I made some changes for a third version.
Removed the panning control and instead added velocity sensitivity for the gate envelopes.

I consider this version a release candidate :)
Any feedback is welcome!

That is a positively wicked idea, mehum! :hyper:
It's quite impressive what happens, if you put some big reverbs on those, filter and pan them differently and you can totally add massive events to a harmless track! So fun! 8-)

Very, very interesting indeed!!! :phones:

Thanks for putting in all the work, too, really. Looks very neat! :tu:
It has to be the first effect in a rack, though, I noticed. Just a curious little accident, because I added it to an already existing send effect and it wouldn't work. Swapping it out worked then made it work again.

Please add a sound example here ;)

Are you asking me? :box:

Return to “MUTOOLS”