Vaz Modular

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Kire
KVRist
441 posts since 30 Nov, 2002 from Sweden

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:17 am

Hi!

Sometimes I want to focus on my all time favourite syntheziser, Vaz Modular. It's a real dream machine! I really wish Martin Fay will continue develop this synth.

Just want to share a clip I made today with several instances of Vaz Modular. Everything is Vaz except voice (vocoder) and Linndrums. All tracks are processed through Vaz.

https://soundcloud.com/erik-d-jansson/m ... -z/s-9HLUS

Revival of the 80's :)

/Kire

JerGoertz
KVRAF
3526 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:39 am

Very cool! Vaz seems to have a really rich, chunky "analog" sound of the kind that I really dig. Were all fx processing really done through Vaz?
A well-behaved signature.

do_androids_dream
KVRAF
2884 posts since 26 Oct, 2007 from Kent, UK

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:53 am

Vaz had 'that' sound years before anyone else but no one seemed to even notice. Perhaps the gui wasn't flashy enough or something or the marketing not as in yer kvr face like. Nice track Kire.

Numanoid
KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:08 pm

Sad that VAZ has ceased trading :(

"Sales of VAZ Synths products have been suspended in order to comply with the change in UK/EU cross-border VAT regulations effective 1st January 2015".

Kire
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:21 pm

JerGoertz wrote:Very cool! Vaz seems to have a really rich, chunky "analog" sound of the kind that I really dig. Were all fx processing really done through Vaz?
Thank's! :)

All tracks went through Vaz for some tape saturation, then I used PSP compressor/eq and Valhalla Room reverb. Izotope Ozone for mastering.

/Kire

Kire
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:24 pm

do_androids_dream wrote:Vaz had 'that' sound years before anyone else but no one seemed to even notice. Perhaps the gui wasn't flashy enough or something or the marketing not as in yer kvr face like. Nice track Kire.
Yes I really don't understand it either...
Would be nice if it could be back for sale and future proofed.

Thank's! I'm an 80's addict! ;)

/Kire

wagtunes
KVRAF
20704 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:16 pm

I don't understand the whole Vaz thing either. I tried to download the demo but Chrome wouldn't let me saying it was a virus or something. And then even if I could download it and try it out, now way to buy it now.

Here's what I don't understand. If you're not going to sell it anymore because of VAT, why not just make it available for free? I mean what's the point of the synth totally going to waste?

fluffy_little_something
Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:28 pm

Maybe he is trying to figure out how to cope with the new rules...

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:57 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:Maybe he is trying to figure out how to cope with the new rules...
It's been 6 months. How long does it take to figure out what you're going to do with your business?

Kire
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Let's hope for the best! :)

elassi
KVRAF
2302 posts since 8 Sep, 2009

Post Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:30 pm

Nice work, Kire. Not exactly my cup of coffee but always good to hear from VAZ-addicts. :tu:

@wagtunes:
The VAT-dilemma may change. AFAIK there are political negotiations, or at least efforts, to drop this crazy story.

JerGoertz
KVRAF
3526 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:27 pm

do_androids_dream wrote:Vaz had 'that' sound years before anyone else but no one seemed to even notice. Perhaps the gui wasn't flashy enough or something or the marketing not as in yer kvr face like. Nice track Kire.
Yeah, I remember demo'ing Vaz back in the Dark Ages and thinking that the GUI was pretty bland. This was before I had the discriminating taste of the VSTi connoisseur that I am now. :D
A well-behaved signature.

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
30271 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:56 am

wagtunes wrote:Here's what I don't understand. If you're not going to sell it anymore because of VAT, why not just make it available for free?
Who says its not going to be sold anymore?

And why should you get it for free when the people who bought it paid a decent amount of money for it? i think it'd be nice if Gav didnt undermine his loyal customers by pandering to the self-entitled.
I mean what's the point of the synth totally going to waste?
Except its not going to waste. People who own it, use it. The OP proved that.
This signature tells the story really, as quoting insults directed at me makes me someone with an over-inflated ego.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:35 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Here's what I don't understand. If you're not going to sell it anymore because of VAT, why not just make it available for free?
Who says its not going to be sold anymore?

And why should you get it for free when the people who bought it paid a decent amount of money for it? i think it'd be nice if Gav didnt undermine his loyal customers by pandering to the self-entitled.
I mean what's the point of the synth totally going to waste?
Except its not going to waste. People who own it, use it. The OP proved that.
Who says it won't be sold anymore? The developer closed up shop in January. I wrote to him personally and surprisingly he wrote back.

This was his exact response to me as I kept the email.
Hi Steven,

Dealing with anti-virus claiming software is viral/malicious is a game of whack-a-mole where some of the holes have cages over them... but as there is also a problem with the 1st Jan change to UK/EU VAT law making selling through Paypal unviable I don't see any point in spending any time on this. If the "machine" wants old software dead so be it.

Martin
We are now into June and you still can't purchase it. What evidence do you have that this isn't going to become yet another Alchemy that anybody who wants it now is just out of luck?

The difference is, Martin hasn't sold the company. The synth is still his to do with as he pleases. He can sell it, he can make it a free synth. He can do whatever he wants. Personally, I don't see the point of this synth just sitting on a shelf for eternity. Many developers make their synths available for free. Why would it be so terrible for Martin to do the same if he apparently refuses to sell it any longer?

Again, where is your evidence that this is going to change when Martin pretty much all but told me that he's done?

fluffy_little_something
Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:55 am

Given how long that thing has been around, half a year is not much.

And it would indeed be a bit unfair if he gave away his software for free now, especially the expensive modular one. He might give the two entry versions away for free, who knows. I am interested in the middle version myself...

And when you feel like others are ruining your business, you might feel a bit pissed and thus become stubborn. Why would you give away the product of a lot of hard work for free just because others change the rules and conditions? That would probably provoke a stubborn attitude in me as well.

Return to “Instruments”