TAL Sampler

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Sampler

midi_transmission wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:35 pm I've tried a lot and I'm not 100% happy, it's often too subtle, I don't get much grit. I still try to find a real instantly noticeable difference between using this one and adding just a TAL DAC after a random clean sampler.
It can be quite subtle, but the lower the SR and ADC Q/DAC Q settings, the more you'll notice it when you play a sample at various pitches. If you're playing a sample at just one pitch, then indeed you might as well use TAL-DAC.

midi_transmission wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:35 pm May I ask what settings you use for oldschool sound?

I've tried a lot and I'm not 100% happy, it's often too subtle, I don't get much grit. I still try to find a real instantly noticeable difference between using this one and adding just a TAL DAC after a random clean sampler.

The sampler has a great workflow though! This alone makes to worth to buy.
I have the impression that TAL DAC uses essentially the same algorithms. The big difference is that in TAL Sampler this is done polyphonically per note, and is affected by your playback speed (the pitch of the note). And even more importantly, the AD/DA simulations happens before the filter, just like an old sampler! This means that you can grit up your sample playback quite a lot (like, say, an Ensoniq Mirage), and then rein the grunge back in, or accentuate it, with the excellent filters, using envelopes, LFOs, etc. And again, polyphonically, so each note in a chord goes through its own resampling.

If you only play back an unpatched loop with no filters or effects, then yes, it probably would sound the same with any other sampler fed though TAL DAC.
One shortcut to grit is to lower the "Level" knob in the AM6070 or Emu II modes. Or on the flip side, you can add a nice sheen to dull samples by adding some "Hiss".

I seem to be in the minority of people who do NOT like the workflow of TAL Sampler. The mapping page is quite unpleasant to use - you can't select and edit more than one sample, it doesn't recognize WAV root key or tuning data in the header or file name, there are no automating functions at all, and the file browser is awkward and confusing. This makes me not use TAL Sampler very often.
Also, personally, I do not like to have to use the matrix for almost everything - for example, you have to manually set up a pitch bend, and you have to use Envelope 3 for making a delayed LFO, both things an actual old school sampler would have dedicated hardwired parameters for.

That Level knob helps a lot, I did ignore it more or less. For some reason I thought it's just a simple, neutral gain knob. Which it isn't , it's probably the Level feed into the simulated converter.

The whole poly thing is one of the reason why I bought Sampler, but so far did not make enough difference for me.

But with a low Level, low DAC Q, different BIAS settings at the EMUII or AM6070 model, it works a lot better.

Thank you both for the tips.

@MTorn: Sure, the workflow could be even better, I manly use a single sample per layer, so quite simple in case of mapping. But besides Ableton sampler there are not many samplers with such a fast workflow while offering enough possibilities. What sampler plugins do you prefer?

I'm using samplers as keyboard instruments rather than loop manglers. More Emulator II than SP1200, if that makes any sense. So a lot of key maps of 3-10 samples, but also a lot of one-sample per instrument.

I'm on a constant search for the perfect sampler, and I have yet to find it. New samplers are typically either bloated monsters or dumbed-down beat choppers.
At the moment my favorite is the ancient NN-XT in Reason, but I'm thinking of getting off the Reason-wagon, in which case the Sampler in Logic Pro is the best I've found for my needs. Both NN-XT and Logic Sampler have proper instrument key mapping functions, like the ability to auto map using pitch detection, release loops and key-off triggering, and round robins, but the single-screen NN-XT interface is quicker and more intuitive and creative (to my tastes).

I do also use it mainly as a keyboard instrument, but as a simple one for obious old school sound or to create pads out of different sample layers or sampling chords and things like that

I share you thoughts that there is still a perfect sampler missing, but TAL is for me one of the better ones.That being said, I don't know the Logic and Reason one.

Let's hope that we'll find one some day. :)

TAL DAC uses the same technology as TAL-Sampler. There shouldn’t be any difference in sound.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I still love this bad boy.

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:31 pm TAL DAC uses the same technology as TAL-Sampler. There shouldn’t be any difference in sound.
As noted in here already though, it may be 'the same' but inside TAL sampler it's employed polyphonically, every played note processed independently by the unit; whereas the TAL-DAC is just an insert slapped on the total output stereo signal of whatever it's used on. That can make a very significant difference in the results.

You could use both in a series. I believe TAL-DAC is free for TAL-Sampler owners. I believe they share the same license. 🙂

Edit: In fact, you could turn the DAC emulation off in the sampler and run TAL-DAC after it and do it that way too. 🙂

Edit again: Nevermind. I’m running about 10 post’s behind in the conversation. I’m seeing that everything I had to say has already been said. :oops:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

---

+1
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I'm looking for a TAL sampler license. If interested in selling yours please pm me.

I'm a little late to the TAL Sampler party. I have Kontakt, HALion, and Falcon, so I thought my sampler needs were met. But all of these programs are ridiculously complicated to use. I'm pretty savvy with this stuff so I can figure it out. But it just annoys me how convoluted the architecture is for the major samplers (especially Kontakt which is my main sampler).

But building your own multisample instruments in TAL Sampler looks very tedious. But maybe it's worth it. The sound of TAL Sampler is instant Depeche Mode back in their sampler-heavy days when the brilliant Alan Wilder did most of the production (starting with an Emulator I and moving up to an E-III on Violater). It's really easy to get those types of sounds in TAL Sampler.

OllieBoi wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 am ... But it just annoys me how convoluted the architecture is for the major samplers (especially Kontakt which is my main sampler).
Well, there are many alternatives ... :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”