Considering Omnisphere 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

I've been watching all the hype around Omnisphere 2 coming out, and following some of the threads of folks who got it (with praises, comments, recommendations, bugs, etc.) and I'm certainly intrigued by it, but not enough to pull the trigger at $500 just yet. Never had the earlier versions either although I know their clout in the industry and dedicated fanbase.
My dilemma (as usual) is I already have a ton of good virtual synths in all categories, which all keep me quite busy; I prefer creating "music" closer to atmospheric/ambient, for which I had heard Omnisphere 1 was great.
Is there something in O2 that I can't find elsewhere? tons of good samples? interesting effects? workflow? different sound?
I know it can get as deep/crazy as you like as far as customization, but I pretty much have all areas covered in other VSTis.
Anything anyone would want to mention that could fan the flames created by G.A.S.?

synzh wrote: Is there something in O2 that I can't find elsewhere?
Yes

synzh wrote: tons of good samples? interesting effects? workflow? different sound?

All of this

You do not list what other really good synths you have purchase, what you like to play.

if your into DIVA and the analog type synths Omni 2 will complement them, but you might not like the digital crispness of Omni2 sound.

if you like rompler's hardware or software then Omni 2 is probably the best.

I have hardware Motif, Roland Integra, EMU Proteus boxes, a roland D50 etc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Omnisphere. Omni 2 just added more options that I wanted and new more sounds.

I don't like analog retro analog type synths. I like Blue II, Alchemy, Korg legacy M1 and Wavestation. Omnisphere is the top of my synths.

it's not for everyone, some don't like the sampled romler sounds. some don't like romplers. dunno if you will like it.

I can tell you that someone would have to burn down my house and I would run out the door with my Omnisphere DVDs in hand over say my hardware boxes.

MachineClaw wrote: I have hardware....Roland Integra

Man I want one of these so bad, it's been on my radar for 3 years now, some day, some day. :pray:
I own Omni 2 also, I'd imagine they compliment each other nicely. :tu:

MachineClaw - fully understood it's a rompler (edit: among other things!), which have their places; definitely more atmospheric/ambient or downtempo, chillout kinda music is what I work on creating and each "style" of synth has its place; I'm leaning more towards getting O2 when I have the scratch.
I have Diva and it's great, plus over 50 other commercial soft synths of all types; so I'm covered.
It's only GAS and "more fun to be had" that lead me to get O2 now
Last edited by synzh on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

synzh wrote:fully understood it's a rompler

No it's not.

... and VA and waveform ...

lotus2035 wrote:
MachineClaw wrote: I have hardware....Roland Integra

Man I want one of these so bad, it's been on my radar for 3 years now, some day, some day. :pray:
I own Omni 2 also, I'd imagine they compliment each other nicely. :tu:
I got a great deal on a very clean used Roland Integra 7. I have always wanted the Fantom SRX cards or a Fantom. I love Omni and thought that the supernatural sounds would be complementary to Omni. they are, sort of.

Omni doesn't have the standard rompler sounds. there is only a piano on fire, no normal piano. there are guitars, but they have all been manipulated.

I love Omni for ambient pads and evolving trippy sounds. I find the vocal throat singer sounds to be disturbing and hypnotically intriguing. like a didgeridoo only more disturbing - so much fun!!!

for me other synths or hardware serve a purpose but I'm not in love with them, I generally don't spend hours and hours playing the patches just goofing off and having fun. I do with Omni. other synths I get in get the sound I am looking for and get on with it. Omni I might try a patch and 3 hours later I am lost in creativity. it's more oooo that's good, oh that's better, ewww that's really cool and even better!

now that I own an Integra , it's okay. I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. I use my D50 for certain pad sounds , some of my proteus boxes for certain things like the Proteus 3 World for a few of the drums and weirder instruments.

I just get lost and in love and I smile every time I pull up and play with Omnisphere and with the upgraded Omni 2 I'm having even more fun.

I have a friend that does not like Omni at all. the way I get about Omni he gets about DIVA. Another friend has a custom Ace Freeley custom Gibson Les Paul that is his prized treasure. <<shrug>>everyone has their dream instrument I guess.

Thanks MachineClaw, that's good stuff. I do this stuff for fun, as a hobby, and sounds like I'd get a lot of mileage like that out of O2 also

synzh wrote:fully understood it's a rompler
:dog:

That aside....

Some folks like to use lots of synths, using specific ones for specific qualities. Me, I'd like to to use Omni 2 for pretty much everything. Well, everything synth / organic - not sample library stuff. It's the range, quality, depth and speed that makes it such a workhorse. On the speed, the browser in 2 has taken a hit in terms of usability compared to 1, but some other features like sound lock / sound match partly offset this. I still use it, problems an' all, massively more than anything else (which is quite a lot of other stuff).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

synzh wrote:fully understood it's a rompler, which have their places; definitely more atmospheric/ambient or downtempo, chillout kinda music is what I prefer and each "style" of synth has its place; I'm leaning more towards getting O2 when I have the scratch.
I have Diva and it's great, plus over 50 other commercial soft synths of all types; so I'm covered.
It's only GAS and "more fun to be had" that lead me to get O2 now

A. Omnisphere is not a "rompler", there are over 400 new DSP waveforms in the synth engine which can be swept between different wave shapes.

B. While Omnisphere 2 is great at atmospheric/ambient/downtempo... it can get VERY aggressive and edgy.. it's a powerful synth with many tricks up it's sleeve.

It's good to hear this feedback; I think there was a lot of focus on the more "atmospheric" sounds in O1 but not so much in O2 since it can cater to so many different kinds of sound now (yes I know it is more than a rompler, particularly now; but that's a big part of its legacy from previous versions, and it's the part the previous poster was saying he liked about it.)

It's Omnisphere for crissake. Not hemi, demi or semisphere. Just get it and stop screwing around. Unless you can't handle the omnicientness of it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I can't (yet). Fear losing touch with all my old instrument friends...

synzh wrote: Is there something in O2 that I can't find elsewhere?
No.
synzh wrote: ... but I pretty much have all areas covered in other VSTis.
Which pretty much confirms the answer to your first question.
synzh wrote: Anything anyone would want to mention that could fan the flames created by G.A.S.?
If it really is GAS, then nothing will stop you from buying it.
Whether you regret the purchase or not, depends on your powers of rationalization.
And if it were really 'Omni-', a customer wouldn't have to buy Trilian just to get a Bass category into it.

But it's not a bad product nor one to end all others.
If 'autotune' was a virtual synthesizer, it would be Omnisphere.

Return to “Instruments”