DS404 problem (multi out)

Official support for: muon-software.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Here is a copy/paste from my post in the FL studio forum :

Hi

Im using the Muon DS404. It works fine in FLS.There is just one strange thing.I often use multiple outs.What happens :
- i load ds404 (& enable multiple outs)
- defaut routing is to the FLS master (of course)
- i change that to, say, channel 1 IN THE DS404
- having done that, sound is much louder, like the sound is routed to both master AND channel 1.
- but if i lower the volume to zero (in DS404 mixer), and restore it to the max, then its ok.

So its not very annoyning (as theres a "fix"), but id like to know if the little problem comes from the FLS wrapper, or from the DS404 (so i could post in Muon forum about that).Thanks.

reflex wrote :

It sounds like a DS404 problem, since you can fix it by changing the volume in the DS404.

Any idea ?
Thanks.

Outputs 2-5 in DS404 are mono. Now in most hosts, this causes a 6dB drop in volume, so DS404 compensates by adding 6dB to the levels on those outputs. Sounds to me if FL is compensating again by itself for mono channels, so you're getting an extra 6dB gain that you don't need.

Regards
Dave

Thanks for answering.

But is it normal i can cancel this by moving the DS404 slider ?

Also, im now building some DS404 kits/samples etc...
The future Muon sampler will load those, right ?
What id like to know is, will the filters/lfo etc sound the same as in DS404 ?
If not, it would be nice to add "ds404" switch to Neutron filters/lfo etc to "convert" ds404 patches properly (btw, have both algorhythms in the dll).

Thanks

It could be, that the next time the volume slider is evaluated (ie when it moves) the 6dB boost is forgotten about - could be a bug and I'll look into it. Can you do the same thing with SR202?

The new Tachyon engine happily loads DS404 patches/banks and SR202 kits. The filters are exactly the same in Tachyon-powered products as they are in DS404 and SR202. Everyone liked them so much we saw no reason to change them, but if we do implement new algorithms the "classics" will still be there to maintain compatibilty.

Thats great.
What i also like very much in DS404 is that it bundles samples in the host song file.
I dont have to deal with a huge folder holding all patches/samples used in all songs (as ive seen in other samplers, like RMIV eg).(i hope neutron will work the same, or at least have a menu to choose "save type").

What i (also) like in Muon products is also the fact that they are clean (no registry entried needed, no crappy protection scheme), i really hope you wont change this in the future. (i have Tau2 & Tau pro)

Ok, i reloaded the SR202 (1.1), and the problem is the same, except the DS404 trick doesnt work here (volume adjustment down/up). So it is much louder when i use outputs other than "master".
Would be great if you could fix it
:)

In the bigger Tachyon-powered products you'll get a comprehensive set of save options that depend on the sort of product Tachyon has been used for. For example, if its a ROMpler-type product where all the sounds are based on the internal sample library, the samples won't be saved into the song, only your particular settings. You'd also be able to save these out as patches, multis, FX patches, banks, etc.

OTO, if you've got a product that allows you to import samples, it'll let you reference the original files, reference a patch/bank file on disk to get the samples, save the patch with the song or save to a bank file in your project directory that it keeps up to date when you save. Phew, hope that's covered all bases :-)

I can't guarantee no copy protection in the future. Our licensees ultimately decide how they will want to handle this. Many sample library developers that I've spoken too are so totally fed up with piracy that they have a tough line on this. One thing's for sure, so long as we have a hand in it we will aim to make it user friendly. As for registry stuff, a sensibly-written cross-platform piece of software shouldn't be dependent on such proprietory stuff. We'll be sticking to that :-)

I'll do some checking of the DS404 gain code later on today if I get a chance. We're gearing up for the first release of a Tachyon-powered product this week and that's occupying a lot of my time. Of course, watch this space for the first announcements on the new plug!

Regards
Dave

For example, if its a ROMpler-type product where all the sounds are based on the internal sample library, the samples won't be saved into the song
Obvious, to me.
OTO, if you've got a product that allows you to import samples, it'll let you reference the original files, reference a patch/bank file on disk to get the samples, save the patch with the song or save to a bank file in your project directory that it keeps up to date when you save.
Thats great !!
I can't guarantee no copy protection in the future.
Thats not so great :-)
As far as im concerned, i decided months ago, not to buy any product that rely on something else that serial or registered dll (which is the best solution imho). We'll see.
I'll do some checking of the DS404 gain code later on today if I get a chance.
Thanks. Theres also something bizarre when i load more than 1 patch (btw when i use it multitimbral).
It behave strange (often), the sequence that plays on channel 1 suddendly triggers channel 2 when i load a patch on channel 2, things like that. (if i increase/decrease patch number in ds404, its ok again, though...)

Are you remembering to save your changes to the multi?

Saving ?
I just talked of the moment, when i load a patch on midi ch1, then on on midi ch2 etc..
I have to save something ?

If Memory Protection is set to ON, you'll get a little yellow "E" pop up everytime you do something that requires data to be saved. Think of this as being very similar to working with a hardware module (it also gives you a handy undo feature :-))

Regards
Dave

This is exactly what i do :
- load DS404
- load a patch on ch1
- play a sequence in FLS
- create a 2nd midi channel in FLS (to use DS multitimbrality) and play a sequence
- load another patch on DS404 channel 2
(the (FLS)sequencer plays looped both sequences)

At the moment i load this second patch, the 1st channel is "muted".
But if i go back to first patch in DS404 (using mouse drag up/down), i can hear it again (and starting from then, its ok, it will never mute again).
I tried to use the save function also, but it didnt change anything.

The MIDI channels in the mixer screen are still at their defaults? have you got "Allow Program Editing" enabled in the wrapper menu?

Return to “Muon Software”