How come nobody ever talks about Absynth anymore?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Absynth

SPCRA
Some People Can't Read Acronyms.
Yea what is AK?
Yea I know what WF is.
Is it WTF?

As for Absynth, I notice I don’t use it much. I like the sounds but I don’t like the GUI. I find it clumsy. It could use a revamp, with more obvious controls & visuals (and be a lot larger). I don’t think that will ever happen.

I wouldn’t miss it, because I can’t think of a project I’ve used it in, but I hate when good-sounding and unique tools are abandoned. I think NI could redesign the GUI and make lots of money on upgrades. They won’t.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I still use Absynth a lot. There's very few things I do that don't have Absynth in it somewhere or another.

This is from 13 years ago or so - four instances of Absynth and nothing else.

ew
A spectral heretic...

ew wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:31 am I still use Absynth a lot. There's very few things I do that don't have Absynth in it somewhere or another.

ew
"This" is really a nice piece :) Yes, Absynth is very inspiring with such music especially, which is my favourite kind :tu:

Cool stuff, ew!

ew wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:31 am I still use Absynth a lot. There's very few things I do that don't have Absynth in it somewhere or another.

ew
I think most people would get it wrong if they were asked to guess which one plugin was used to create this. Absynth is a lot more versatile than most people give it credit for.

Nice piece of work Eric.

Does Absynth use Native Access, or Service Center for registration?
I read up about, and tested the Absynth FX plugin a while back,
lots of uses, so yet another reason to keep it available, if not updated. NI's Prism FX and Surge FX are also interesting,
a little read goes a long way, if new to such things.
Cheers

----

CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:53 pm
jackmazzotti wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:12 am The best Absynth upgrade it right here. Use them in the LFOs!!!
https://www.galbanum.com/products/archi ... eforms2010
Yes, either this or the AKWF, lotsa fun.
I like Absynth and use it often, playing to its’ strengths not its’ weaknesses.
AKWF
https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/wavefo ... waveforms/

This thread inspired me to play around with Absynth again. It had been a while since I used it in a project but at one time I used Absynth more than any other synth.

I can use other synths to get the type of sounds for which I would typically use Absynth but as a whole I think it's still unique. I think it's definitely worth exploring. The critique of being "out-dated" is overstated I think. I always thought that Absynth's strength is not easily demonstrated in presets but in the way that a patch can be made so expressive.

As is the case with most of my favorite synths an Absynth patch is like an instrument unto itself and part of the range of the instrument is the myriad ways it can be played. But Absynth adds another dimension to that, in that variations can be automated internally so that the way a patch responds to playing can change over time (via the envelopes). I know that other synths have multi-segmented envelopes but most implementations feel like the envelope generators are driving the patch (which can definitely be done in Absynth, as evidenced by the many press-one-note-and-get-a-song, type patches) but you can also have patches which are driven by playing the instrument, yet still influenced by the envelopes.

This can be done in such a way that there is feedback loop between the player and the instrument. The instrument changes how it responds to input and as a result the player changes their playing style. Still I find these aspects to be very controllable and easy to get ideas out, even for someone like me, who is not a very skilled player.

I hope to incorporate Absynth in a project I'm working on. I find it very compelling to use once I have an interesting patch going.

There is one thing I'd love to see in an update: the 3 channels each having their own audio output. I do hard left, dead center but back, and hard right with dramatically different stuff going on. I'd like to have control of the width of field, eg., a very narrow center and move it back with Proximity. And play with the space of all of it separately.

This one shows different sides of Absynth rather well I think.

Nuages
right-click on this link to get a waveform depiction at the Dropbox, which gives you warning of the dynamic range, set your levels, don't jack it up at the beginning unawares, you may get hurts.
- the second half of this...

The things I do with it I don't think anything else is going to get me anywhere near, really.

Good one jancivil :clap:

That's a nice atmospheric track...

A sliding soundscape of galactic goodness :tu:

Any of these tools we have at our diaposal are great....

In the right hands with the right mind behind the actions :wink:
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”