How do I record multiple audio inputs?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm new to the recording world and I've been trying to find a tutorial on YouTube as well a looking through Tacktion's user guide and reference manual on how record multiple audio inputs. So far, I only see two inputs on my settings page when I start a project.
I'm using a Mackie ProFX8 with a USB interface into a windows laptop with Tracktion 4 software.
CAN I do this with this audio interface and software?

Help!
Tony

Hi,

Having googled the interface I see it is only a 2x2 device.
This means that the mixer will take all its inputs and "mix" before sending the resulting two channels via USB to the computer.
If you need to record more than two channels simultaneously, you will need different hardware I'm afraid.

Thanks Ben!
I was starting to think that was the situation. It IS a little but limited but now I know what "2x2" means(and to remember to google stuff) and at least the setup I have now WILL serve my purposes.

Thanks again,
Tony

Remember what you CAN do is use the 2 channels as 2 separate inputs (mono, of course ! ). I've done this for 2 singers who were doing harmonies - pan one full left, and the other full right.

Remember to DISABLE USB Thru on the Mackie if you are going to be recording audio on new tracks while listening to existing tracks, so you only get the NEW material on the recorded tracks.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Thanks Peter,
I've been doing the two mono channels for the vocalists and it's worked out pretty well.
Thanks for the reminder on the DISABLE USB thru switch though. I DID read this in the manual and FORGOT-by golly, those tracks sure DO record on one another all right!

Steep learning curve for me here so I appreciate the input.

Thanks again,
Tony

I have the Mackie ProFX12 v3. Also showing up as only having 2 inputs. This is a 12 channel mixer with 11/12 being usb. I don't understand why I only have access to 2 inputs. I need more. How many channels does a mixer have to have before you can get past only using 1 and 2 in the software? What to do?

Well, it's kind of doing what a mixer does: take multiple inputs and mix them to two outputs.

There are mixers with more outputs. Also, your Mackie has other outputs too--such as the inserts (which are pre-fader, so be forewarned), sub outs, and a mono send.

What you need then is an audio interface that can accept those additional outputs and send them to your computer as discrete audio inputs.

I think what you might be asking is how to send multiple channels over USB and get them all to separate in a DAW as original channels. That, too, would be more dependent on your audio interface. Theoretically, you don't even need or want a mixer for that.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

I actually have an older model of the ProFX12 with that limitation. Unfortunately the earlier versions tended to have an early release USB chip that was flaky, noisy, and had considerable latency.

Are you looking to record live performances with multiple inputs, or just doing multitracking by yourself? What you CAN do is to playback through the mixer the stereo output from Waveform, and on record only live input channels (there's a USB switch that tells it whether to send full mix INCLUDING USB input, or only all live input EXCEPT usb.

Eventually I got a hand-me-down ancient 20-channel SoundCraft with no USB at all - which actually had 2 busses - so anything I record is from the secondary bus; which I have hooked up to a behringer UCA222. Very simple, less noise, extremely low latency. I still only have 2 channels coming in though.

You CAN play tricks with it. My daughter and a friend wanted to record some vocals together, so actually recorded 2 separate channels as a stereo feed with one panned hard left and the other hard right into that stereo bus. Similarly, you could do mike and guitar that way on just a stereo interface. Record as stereo and split later, or disable the "treat as stereo pair" and you have USB-1 and USB-2.

If you need multiple, many manufacturers have multi-channel interfaces (i.e. 4 or more), which depending on your purpose could replace a mixer completely - although they may not have compression and 2 or 3 band EQ on each channel (which you CAN do postrecording in Waveform anyway).
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

Most analog mixers with USB are only sending the stereo bus to the computer - they are 2x2 almost to a fault.

It is usually just the larger digital mixing consoles that can route individual channels to the computer to function as a more substantial audio interface.

Yeah, you CAN get U-PHORIA UMC1820 (18 direct channels) or MOTU Track16 - depends on what you REALLY have need of ... but your inexpensive smaller mixers normally give you 2. Full mixer, but only 2 Digital IO channels over USB. How many do you need at the same time...

I want to be able to record 2 electric guitars (mic the amps) and 3 vocal mics and 1 mic for drums. So 3 amps mic'd and 3 vocal mics. 6 total inputs needed. Many thanks to you guys now I understand there are differences between mixers and recorders even though they look similar. I thought they were all the same and did the same thing. So, many thanks.

ScottAudio wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:40 am I want to be able to record 2 electric guitars (mic the amps) and 3 vocal mics and 1 mic for drums. So 3 amps mic'd and 3 vocal mics. 6 total inputs needed. Many thanks to you guys now I understand there are differences between mixers and recorders even though they look similar. I thought they were all the same and did the same thing. So, many thanks.
On your particular mixer, run a TRS cable from channels 1-4 into your audio interface. Make sure that when you plug in the cables into your insert inputs, that you don't push that cable down all the way. Just push it in until you feel the first "click". Then shove the other end of that cable in all the way into your audio interface. Now, you've got 4 independent inputs coming in. These signals going out are Pre EQ, so you may need to add EQ with your DAW.

On these first four channels, make sure just the L-R button in engaged on the volume slider.

You can get one more independent output routed to your audio interface by using another one of your remaining stereo channels. Let's say Channels 5/6. On your volume slider, make sure the 1-2 is engaged (I would suggest also make sure L-R is not engaged. Now, what you have is that stereo channel being controlled by your big Sub 1-2 slider. Now, use two more TRS cables and plug them into your Control Room outputs (Just above your Mackie effects section), and route that stereo channel into your Audio Interface. I'm assuming you've got at least 6 inputs on your audio interface. Fyi - you can click these two TRS cables all the way down on your Mackie.

I believe for this particular Mackie Mixer, 4 independent mono outs and 1 independent stereo out is the max you'll be able to send to any Audio Interface. If you need more independent outputs, then maybe get the Mackie 16 channel. The ProFX16v3 mixer will give you 8 independent mono outs, and 2 independent stereo outs that you could plug into your audio interface using this same method (you're just utilizing the Sub 3-4 outs that the ProFX12v3 does not have).

The post above assumes an audio interface with 6 or 8 independent channels to input to the computer is available.

Return to “Tracktion”