REAPER is amazing.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Just downloaded a new version and realized that it weighs only 8MB (32 bit version), feels like 25 years ago when software was distributed on 3.5 inch floppy disks.
Would take only 6 of these. :)

And the features and functionality... easily 10 times more than back then.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

First, let me agree fully... Reaper is amazing. :tu:

Second, apples to grapes. As efficiently coded and distributed as Reaper is it's 8mb size is partly related to it not really coming with much of anything else but the app, the installer. I guess SAW Studio is amazing also, being 8 mb.

LawrenceF wrote:I guess SAW Studio is amazing also, being 8 mb.
Damn straight it is. :hyper:

Tracktion 6 x32 just pips it at 7.51mb ;)

The age we live in ... where streaming a 400 mb HD cat video is no big deal, but downloading a 400mb daw is a hassle. :hihi:

Babya Logic ftw! :)

^ this

I really don't understand this fixation with app size and how 'good' it is...
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

For me the really amazing thing about Reaper is the CPU usage for third party plugins compared to every other big DAW out there: 1/2. I still have no idea how it can do that...

do_androids_dream wrote:I really don't understand this fixation with app size ...
It's just the "my daw is better because..." contest, another iteration of it. :hihi:

Reaper being really small and fast to download and install is a definite plus :tu: , but nobody buys a daw just for that. People buy Reaper because it works and if if was a 250mb download they'd still be buying it, because it works. :lol:

Having said that, there is a threshold where getting a demo becomes... irritating ... if you're sitting down ready to try something right now. For me that's somewhere north of a gig, like Cubase's 3.x gb demo download.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yeahh!!!!

I think the size of the executables (assuming the product has decent functionality) is a good barometer of the efficiency/optimization of the code. Everyone wants their software to be fully-featured and efficient and 'bloat' is seen as a bad thing.

Look at Photoshop - as near as I can tell it occupies in excess of 1GB (CS5 with zero content) on my hard disk and there's simply no reason for that - it's an ancient codebase that's had more and more bolted on to it and it's become slower and way less efficient as a consequence.

Modern CPU's and cheap storage have made this largely moot but needing a faster processor and an SSD to get good performance out of bad code still irks me. It's refreshing to see companies like Cockos and Tracktion optimize the heck out of their products and it makes me more than happy to support them (of course, the no-brainer pricing helps too ;))

e@rs wrote:For me the really amazing thing about Reaper is the CPU usage for third party plugins compared to every other big DAW out there: 1/2. I still have no idea how it can do that...
it can't/doesn't
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

It can and it does. Well, numbers in CPU reduction vary from plugin to plugin, but anticipative processing REALLY helps a lot to spread out the load over time, and add efficient and very well done multicore processing... that's how things are supposed to be :)

e@rs wrote:For me the really amazing thing about Reaper is the CPU usage for third party plugins compared to every other big DAW out there: 1/2. I still have no idea how it can do that...
Digital Performer is a 'big daw' and it has a very similar feature, FWIW.

Does it? Because when I tried DP8 demo on Windows, Reaper sweeped the floor with it regarding CPU...

Perhaps it's a "too big" DAW to try and be as sleek and optimized :P

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”