Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Think i'll wait to see what it sounds like and what the build quality is like before i put it on any 'list'

AnX wrote:Think i'll wait to see what it sounds like and what the build quality is like before i put it on any 'list'
Given their recent history I think the assumption can be made that it will sound better and be built better than the price would have us assume.

Apart from the new Electribes. They had an off day there.

tehlord wrote: Apart from the new Electribes. They had an off day there.
Yes, that's why he said he would wait. :wink:

Shy wrote:
eXode wrote:The filter(s?) is switchable 4-pole / 2-pole.
That would be great. I'm interested where you got this info.
It says so on the panel.

If you look at the close up picture in the first post you see 4, and then 2, then the image is cut off, but if you then look at the picture in the third post you can see that the filter section comes directly after the oscillator mixer section, you can almost make out the 2 pole lettering below the resonance knob. So something that switches between a 4 and a 2 in the filter section. I think it's pretty safe to assume that it's a switch between 4-pole and 2-pole. :)

eXode wrote:
Shy wrote:
eXode wrote:The filter(s?) is switchable 4-pole / 2-pole.
That would be great. I'm interested where you got this info.
It says so on the panel.

If you look at the close up picture in the first post you see 4, and then 2, then the image is cut off, but if you then look at the picture in the third post you can see that the filter section comes directly after the oscillator mixer section, you can almost make out the 2 pole lettering below the resonance knob. So something that switches between a 4 and a 2 in the filter section. I think it's pretty safe to assume that it's a switch between 4-pole and 2-pole. :)
Ah! Thanks, yeah, that's definitely it.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Seems they had a good day creating specs for that - seems physical knobs for almost everything. Just like Nord Lead has. My KingKorg is really fun to work with, but still too many parameters hidden in menues. My NL2X is just another step up in fun and easy to work with, even lacking effects section.

It also comes down to if modulations are adequate, velocity and others. Both KK and Nord are excellent doing that.

I saw the launch demo of Odyssey and MS20 and how devs explained the challenges syncing analog oscillators making them stable etc for polyphony. So guessing this knowledge spins off in this new beaty and release of more true analog units.

Since Prophet 6 can sell at $3000 or so, this would be fabulous at $500 if rumour is true.
My first synth a CZ1000 had four voices - and never felt that was major loss at the time.
The VA versions of Prophet(8,12 etc) are half price of 6.

So it seems that making analogs at affordable price is the way where Korg really has a good shot to floor competition. The Odyssey and MS20 had no presets at all as I recall, so really getting physical knobs as well as presets - I rather think it might end up at about the same price at MS20 and those around $1000.

do_androids_dream wrote: I don't think any hardware sells that well these days. That's why any new hardware is gratefully received in general as it's pretty risky for any company.
Actual analog hardware and classic emulation va sell way better than 5 years ago.
But what hardware do you mean?
lfm wrote: Since Prophet 6 can sell at $3000 or so, this would be fabulous at $500 if rumour is true.
It's actually sells around $2000, but it doesn't change anything in your point.
Last edited by david.beholder on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murderous duck!

The P12 is actually more expensive than the 6 here in europe. Its also not a VA synth, its a hybrid with analog filters and VCAs per voice. The P08 has a fully analog signal path and is based on curtis chips. The P6 is the only dsi product with discrete VCOs though.

whet wrote:The P12 is actually more expensive than the 6 here in europe. Its also not a VA synths, its a hybrid with analog filters and vca s per voice. The P08 ist fully analog and based on curtis chips. The P6 is the only dsi product with discrete VCOs though.
Thanks for correcting my bad naming convention.
And also mixed up modules P8 with P6 a bit, so not quite half price keyboard versions.

Seems P12 is a bit more expensive:
http://www.thomann.de/se/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=prophet

These are with swedish VAT then.

But seems that Dave Smith stuff probably don't have the volumes for production to get prices down as Korg has - just guessing.

Do the leaked photos show if the Minilogue is velocity sensitive? That's my biggest gripe with some of these inexpensive hardware synths, both analog and digital. If Roland can include a second envelope in the their SH-2 model (along with delay and reverb effects,) is it really asking too much for velocity controls for the filter and amp?
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

david.beholder wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote: I don't think any hardware sells that well these days. That's why any new hardware is gratefully received in general as it's pretty risky for any company.
Actual analog hardware and classic emulation va sell way better than 5 years ago.
But what hardware do you mean?
I was under the general impression that hardware synths are not big money spinners for any company. Could be wrong though..
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
david.beholder wrote: I was under the general impression that hardware synths are not big money spinners for any company. Could be wrong though..
Selling hardware synths may not make a lot of money in the grand scheme of things (compared to guitar sales, for instance). But it's a hell of a lot more profitable than selling software, that's for sure. Korg and Roland would go out of business tomorrow if they started selling only plugin versions of their synths. The only way to make money from software is to operate an extremely small, lean company (no more than 10 employees). That's about the size of Spectrasonics and U-he, for instance.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend wrote:The only way to make money from software is to operate an extremely small, lean company (no more than 10 employees). That's about the size of Spectrasonics and U-he, for instance.
You never heard of 'Native Instruments' I take it ?
or to a lesser degree Ableton, Propellerheads etc (though still considerably much beefier than what you're suggesting) ?

chk071 wrote:[rant]
OMG, another mini analogue, how extremely innovative!
[/rant]
Seriously, is hardware VA completely dead or what? This is like the gazillionth mini monphonic/voice sharing polyphonic analogue in the last few years. Admittedly, neither Korg nor analogue is really my thing, but i'm really wondering if the VA market is completely dead. Anyway, each to his like.
Well it's no wonder, there's been new VA VSTis on the market all the time for the past 10 years, and the only improvement has been with filters- which still sound crap compared to VCFs. Commercial VAs still have shitty GUIs, there's not a single decent MIDI controller for soft synths on the market, and pretty much only people who get excited about new VSTis anymore are preset users. Market saturated.

Plugins aren't good business, and even worse investement.

I meant hardware VA's. And there's quite a few VSTi's coming out, but no hardware VA in sight. Seems like noone is doing those anymore.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”