Izotope Shutter Edit for a 48 hours Sale - What do you think?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
1572 posts since 21 Dec, 2012

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:11 am

AudioDeluxe launched a big sale on Shutter Edit from Izotope for 49 USD.
What do you think about it?

http://audiodeluxe.com/products/izotope-stutter-edit
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

KVRAF
16257 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:04 am

I am a bit cautious with izotope, given their last BT collaboration seems to have been kinda discontinued. Not that I think 'stutter edit' is missing much (though I have never owned it), but I'd worry that this is maybe on it's last legs
It's a fantastic price, though, and I've never been more tempted. I guess if it lives on with maintenance/compatibility updates (OS, plugin standards, support past 64-bit version), that woould kinda seal the deal

KVRian
653 posts since 26 Sep, 2014 from Kingshill Valley

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:10 am

Very tempting, indeed. But as many others I'm also insecure if it would be worth it. Right now I got Glitch2, Looperator, and The Finger for those kinds of stuff (although I actually never used The Finger because I found it being a relatively simple thing with way too fiddly handling). Maybe I'll give the demo of Stutter Edit a chance... But I kind of reckon I wouldn't miss anything if I just skipped the deal ;)

KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:18 am

Sim.Sky wrote:Very tempting, indeed. But as many others I'm also insecure if it would be worth it. Right now I got Glitch2, Looperator, and The Finger for those kinds of stuff (although I actually never used The Finger because I found it being a relatively simple thing with way too fiddly handling). Maybe I'll give the demo of Stutter Edit a chance... But I kind of reckon I wouldn't miss anything if I just skipped the deal ;)
I had always intended to buy it (even bought a MacProVideo tutorial in anticipation). It always stood out as being able to do so much more than the rest. The only time I bought something similar was 'Turnado', and I still think there's definitely room for them to compliment each other. Also had my eyes on the Melda multiband rhythmizer thing, but 3 glitchy doo-daa's might be too much for my needs

KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:31 am

Shutter Edit ? :o Good one OP :hihi:

BT is soon gonna launch a new product with Spitfire Audio called Phobos, maybe this product will not be so hot anymore when that launches, so Izotope want to get some money out of it still?

What kind of copy protection do they use, iLok?

KVRian

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:36 am

Numanoid wrote:Shutter Edit ? :o Good one OP :hihi:

BT is soon gonna launch a new product with Spitfire Audio called Phobos, maybe this product will not be so hot anymore when that launches, so Izotope want to get some money out of it still?

What kind of copy protection do they use, iLok?
I think you can choose between C/R and iLok

KVRAF
2007 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:54 am

I only looked at a short video, but I get the feeling that with a bit of work I could already do all this within Live.

But it's a great price for anyone wanting this.

KVRian

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:15 am

sprnva wrote:I only looked at a short video, but I get the feeling that with a bit of work I could already do all this within Live.
No doubt, since the effects are pretty standard - nothing exotic there. It's just pure workflow/usability (which I actually liked a lot while playing with the demo version :ud: ). Very instant and cool sounding results - well, mostly.

KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:25 am

Izotope wrote:Stutter Edit works differently than other audio effect plug-ins, it requires MIDI input from your host to trigger its effects. Not all hosts allow you to send MIDI to audio effects.

Plug-in host compatibility:
Ableton Live, Pro Tools (7.4–11), Cakewalk SONAR, Steinberg Cubase 4+/Nuendo 4+, Image Line FL Studio, Cockos REAPER, MOTU Digital Performer, Apple Logic
BitWig, Tracktion, not supported?

KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:31 am

Sim.Sky wrote:I think you can choose between C/R and iLok
According to the manual it looks like it uses a serial number copy protection :)

"Once your purchase is complete you will be sent an email confirmation and a full version serial number that can be used to fully authorize your current installation of Stutter Edit."

help.izotope.com/docs/izotope-stutteredit-help.pdf

KVRAF
5142 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:55 am

Any C/R activation starts with a serial number...

KVRAF
5142 posts since 15 Dec, 2011 from Bucharest, Romania

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:59 am

Tried Stutter Edit a while ago. Yeah, it sounds madness, but found it unusable for studio work. And if I remember right, the parameters aren't automatable. I'm not interested in buying it.

3ee
KVRAF
3818 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:44 am

the deal got me interested also... but seeing some videos of it in action and dusting off NI The Finger... gonna skip this one. The Finger also has pitch effects and more...

+ the release is about 5 years ago? ...so this is probably an announcement of another of iZotope's marketing "upgrade" antics ;)

added: also, I find the original price simply ridiculously high to begin with so the discount seems enormous! :)

KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:10 am

Glad I tried the demo again, as I'm pretty sure that Turnado is much better for my needs

KVRian
1184 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:08 pm

e@rs wrote:Tried Stutter Edit a while ago. Yeah, it sounds madness, but found it unusable for studio work. And if I remember right, the parameters aren't automatable. I'm not interested in buying it.
the point of stutter edit is that any and all automation you might need is integrated in the interface, which is what allows the gesture system (live preset switching with your midi keyboard) to work.

me, I don't recommend SE if you have a fiddly daw, because it's a bit cumbersome. if you have a good daw that will let you easily route it and work on several midi tracks in the same piano roll (FL, Sonar, Logic are OK; not sure about the others), it's well worth it.

yeah and unlike breaktweaker, the plugin doesn't need any maintenance, pretty much solid, a safe buy.

Return to “Effects”